Ruger Deerstalker vs. Deerfield: any experience with these?

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Adam Lee

Ruger Deerstalker vs. Deerfield: any experience with these?

Post by Adam Lee »

Morning, folks!

I've been getting ever so close to the end of the school year, but still have 7 days with the students to go. Only after that can I get back to my guns - just haven't been able to find time.

Anyway, besides my Model 8 and 81's to get back in love with at the local WMA, I'll be enjoying my Ruger .357 SS and my Rossi 92 .357 carbine. Now, after handling an older Ruger .44 Deerstalker tube-mag carbine, I was immediately drawn to making a .44 carbine/.44 revolver combo my next gun focus.
One thing I'd like to know from anyone with experience, is whether or not the feeding issues people mention regarding the original Ruger .44 tube-mag semi-auto guns was similar to the issues that Model 14/141 Remington pumps have with cycling flat-nose or any rounds that were NOT round-nose profile. If that's the case, I could linger a bit on an older Ruger .44 carbine and wait for a more rare/more pricey box mag Deerfield to come around.

OTOH, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about - and the older tube-mag .44's will feed different profile rounds and different OAL rounds just fine. What say ye?

Thanks for your time!
Adam Lee
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
norm

Re: Ruger Deerstalker vs. Deerfield: any experience with the

Post by norm »

Adam, I had a Ruger autoloader for several years a liberty model. Shot it over 500 rounds mostly with cast bullet. RCBS swc. Once in awhile the semi wadcutter shoulder would hang up at the chamber entrance. For absolutely reliable feeding I would suggest a truncated cone profile bullet. It did not shot small groups. Mostly 4-6 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards. Worst problem was a wandering zero. Sight it in on a weekend and the next weekend poi would be off as much as 6 inches. Did not have leading problems at all. Not the barrel or the gas system. Gas system would have a greasy residue from the bullet lube. If Col. Whelen was right this was the most uninteresting rifle I ever shot.
Adam Lee

Re: Ruger Deerstalker vs. Deerfield: any experience with the

Post by Adam Lee »

Norm,
that didn't sound like the performance you had desired out of that rifle!

It's odd - I have read quite a range of accuracy observed from folks shooting these guns.

I appreciate your comments!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.