Rear Sight Replacement Spacer

Posts about the Model 8
Wildgoose

Rear Sight Replacement Spacer

Post by Wildgoose »

Hi All,
I snagged a very nice Lyman peep sight for my latest M8 on e-bay last week. Now I am looking for a correct spacer plate to fill in on the barrel shroud when I remove the buckhorn rear sight assembly. Anyone have one laying around or know of a current source?
Sarge756

Re: Rear Sight Replacement Spacer

Post by Sarge756 »

Those are somewhat hard to find and of ones I`ve seen a bit pricey. Saw the below on Fleabay and thought you might be interested in it as an alternative.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/4011210736 ... rmvSB=true
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Sarge756 wrote:Those are somewhat hard to find and of ones I`ve seen a bit pricey. Saw the below on Fleabay and thought you might be interested in it as an alternative.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/4011210736 ... rmvSB=true
Thanks for taking the time to post the heads up. I had seen this one and a couple more. Your idea for going to the fold down rear sight is really a more practical move. Its gives some added functionality by giving the shooter the option between two sighting systems. As there seems to be none of the spacers available and if the price is most likely to be the same as the folding sight I may just go that route. One other option I have seen done is to cut down and fashion one from the original rear buck horn sight but I hate to do that. I do have a couple of those on hand but I think I will do the folder before that.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Hope that will work for you. For info the last spacer I saw listed went for $75.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Hey Sarge,
Sometimes getting older has it lighter side. I was looking through my collection of Model 8/81 odds and ends. Lo and behold I find a Marbles folding rear sight I must have taken off of one of my purchases in the past! Glad to find it but its kind of disconcerting that I had forgotten I had it. As usual in a case like this it takes mounting screws that are specific to the sight and of course I don't happen to have those and have no idea where the screws that must have been on it went. For all I know I may have traded them away or used them on a different project. I did find that when fit on the barrel the folding sight will work with the Lyman peep. So now I am on the hunt for mounting screws for the Marbles folder. Or again I could turn down the heads on a set of standard buckhorn mounting screws to work with it but I really don't like modifying original parts if it can be avoided. This is the kind of stuff that makes finding and shooting these great old guns a fun pastime. :D