LOVE STORIES: Your first model 8 (or 81)

Posts about the Model 8
northcountrygent

LOVE STORIES: Your first model 8 (or 81)

Post by northcountrygent »

What's the story behind your first Model 8 or 81?

Mine goes like this...back in 1990, money was tight. I was using borrowed deer rifles or a shotgun with slugs for hunting deer. Then I noticed an ad in the "Free Trader": "Old deer rifle in fair condition". I decided to check it out. When the guy came out carrying the rifle, my first reaction was "What the heck is that"? The gentleman responded "It's an old 35 Remington". I had never seen one like it at the time. "Early 1900's, he informed me (turned out to be 1910). I looked it over and read the barrel jacket-- sure enough, Remington Arms, Ilion NY, plus a bunch of Browning patent dates. Wow! I asked "Does it still shoot ?" He pulled 4 old cartridges out of his pocket, loaded up, and quickly emptied the gun into the river behind his house. Wow! I was convinced-- I picked up the old timer for only $150 bucks! Little did I know that it would become my favorite gun! Got a nice buck with it that fall and many more since. How did you come across your first 8 or 81?
Wildgoose

Re: your first model 8 (or 81)

Post by Wildgoose »

I started getting interested in vintage Remington hunting rifles other than the Rolling Block I was shooting in black powder cartridge rifle silhouette and long range buffalo gong matches some years back. I had seen a few of the Model 8 and 81 auto hunting guns at gun shows here in the Midwestern Plains and started looking into them. Not a lot of these rifles were around in the Nebraska area because when these guns came on the market there were not a lot of deer or trees in this part of the country and the auto Remington's were a "Woods Gun". So when I decided to go ahead and get one I looked on places like Gun Broker. I picked up a nice but modified for a scope mount Model 81 in 30 Remington for a very modest price and at the same time found this web site. Since then I have obtained a few of both Model 8 and 81 examples.
Got to say I am totally hooked. (And yes, I do believe the 8's are just a touch more "special" than the 81's. :twisted:)
Hardrada55

Re: your first model 8 (or 81)

Post by Hardrada55 »

In 1994 I had just paid off a debt and had a little extra cash. Went to the Canyon Reef Gunshow in Snyder Texas. A guy had 3 weird rifles on a table I had never seen before. Couldn't bring myself to part with any money that day, so my curiosity went unsated that day. I went home and started subscribing to a delivered gun advertisement magazine. They usually had several of these rifles for sale in the magazine and I started doing a little research on prices for this strange little rifle. I had also seen an advertisement in that magazine for a book on Model 8s and 81s by some fellow in California. Hit the gun show in Abilene on a Sunday afternoon and there was a guy trying to sell a rather nice Model 8 with very worn but fancy checkering someone had added years before. Walked out with the Model 8 in .30 Remington and a box of ammo. Received my book on the 8 and the 81 from Mr. Henwood shortly after that. Had to get the rifle "tuned up" by Erich Hutchins in Maine. But it's my favorite and always will be.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
81police

Re: LOVE STORIES: Your first model 8 (or 81)

Post by 81police »

Great idea for a new topic northcountrygent!

I got into 8's & 81's from my father. In the early 1960's as a teenager, dad hunted with a borrowed Model 81 near Marble Falls, TX (photo below). Now this is interesting in itself because 8's & 81's, historically, were not very popular with hunters here in Texas but he can remember a cabinet full of them at deer camp. But after several decades went by, dad saw a Model 81 and decided he finally wanted one of his own to reminisce. That first 1936 Model 81 with beavertail forearm was purchased at a Denton, TX gunshow and spiraled into greater interest in the guns. I can remember him telling me about the gun as I had never heard of one, "man, it's a cool autoloader, I used one as a kid". As a son who always admired his father, anything that my dad was into was cool, and the Model 8's & 81's were no different. The rest, as they say, is history. Dad still has that first 81 serial #32XX in 30Rem.
Attachments
DSC03616.JPG
DSC03616.JPG (113.1 KiB) Viewed 14652 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ranman

Post by ranman »

When I was a kid my pal and I went on a deer hunt after school. He brought his grandads model 8 in 30 rem. That was the first time I looked at one,what a cool rifle. I still have and use that 8 over forty years now.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I had been intrigued by the thought of these guns for some time. Being something of a gun hipster for many years I have always been drawn to the unusual and obscure. The 8's and 81's seemed just the thing, particularly after learning that they were designed by St. Browning himself. Then I literally fell over one at the local gun show in Birmingham. The owner wanted little for it and it was in beautiful condition, so the deal was done. I've bought all the written materials on them and watched all the YouTube video and read everything here about them and they continue to fascinate. Looking for a nice 81 in .30 in the near future....
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
northcountrygent

Thanks 81 police!

Thanks 81 police! Great story! I never would have thought of Texas in the 1960's as being someplace you'd find a cabinet full of M8s at deer camp either. Here in Northern NY, they are not "rare"--but certainly not "common" either, due to their age. I've noticed that they seem to be getting "less common", if you will, over the past several years as gun shows that always had 8s and 81s now have none. Interesting that the gun is from 1936--that's the year they changed over, right? (From Model 8 to Model 81). So I guess theoretically you probably could have bought a a brand new M8 early in the year, and a new M81 later that year. My dad hunted with the next generation Remington auto loader, the Model 740 (in 30-06). I took my biggest bear-- 400 plus-- with that rifle. And more bears with my old Remington Auto Loading Rifle from 1910. If you'd like to read more about that, check out my book, "Tremblays' Great Outdoor Adventures" for only $15 bucks-- just send me a PM. Thanks again.
norm

Post by norm »

Got my first Model 8 in 1990. Went to the Minnesota Trappers convention at the Meeker county fairgrounds. Among all the tables of traps,scents and other trapping equipment was a table with a Model 8 and a couple of Marlin 22 RF's. Don't remember what I paid but I took the Model 8 home. Knew very little about the rifle until I got John Henwood's first book. Buttstock is original. Checkered grade 3 with round knob pistol grip.beautiful piece of wood. Unfortunately the forend has been replaced by a standard grade piece of wood. Caliber is 35 Remington.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

My first Remington Auto-loader was purchased on April 1, 1985. It was a 1942 Model 81 .35 caliber. I bought it at a sheriff's office auction in Elberton, Georgia and won the bid for $250.00. The rifle was in good to excellent condition. I had never seen one of these rifles and did not know the history of the rifle. I actually bought the rifle because The profile looked like my FN Belgium Browning Auto-5. I did not know that the rifle was designed by John Moses Browning. This rifle was later converted to accept the Police Officers Equipment 15 shot extended magazine. You can read about that conversion in another thread on the forum under the title of Ver Schnsider conversion. The rifle on the right in my avitar is that first rifle.

My second Remington Auto-loader was purchased on my birthday, January 8, 1990. It was a 1920 Model 8 .25 caliber and was purchased at Franklin's in Athens, Georgia, for $250.00. The rifle was in good to excellent condition.

When I retired in 1997, I started to research these rifles. I purchased the book authored by John Henwood and it started a serious passion and obsession to buy more of the rifles. In all honesty I thought to get the "set" that Henwood described in his book would be a real challenge and I would be content if I could get the set. I found this wonderful web site and monitored it for several years before becoming a member in the fall of 2008.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
northcountrygent

Jack, Are you the guy who spreads "Jackitis"? Ha-Ha :P
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

BINGO!!!!
Silvermino

Post by Silvermino »

I first handled my grandfather's model 8 in 35 REM about 1956. I inherited that rifle in 1960 when he passed away. Hunted with that rifle until I bent the receiver traveling through the woods on a 4 wheeler around 1990. That rifle never failed me in 30 years of use in all kinds of weather in Maine and New Hampshire. Very accurate.

I bought another to replace it and became interested in collecting them at that time. I have a fairly nice collection now and still keep an eye out for the odd ones or really nice ones.

You never know when something is going to turn up. My wife even supports my addiction, having bought a couple for me.

John
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

A tale of woe :!: :cry:
My first model 8 isn't even mine :evil:
Brother meets a guy with a relative's collection; trades reproduction clocks for engraved SxS shotguns and early semi-autos. some drillings too. One of them was a model 8 with unusual checkering. We've been dickering over a swap for decades. He still won't let go.....

The second is already posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3276

Along with the start of my herd:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3206

Jack what have you done to me :?: :?:

AAACCCCKKK There's no cure :lol:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Roger

Post by Roger »

My first model 81 came to me via the fairgrounds guns how in about the late eighties. This was several years after starting my Browning Auto-5 collection. But I was always interested in most of JMB designed guns.s By this time I had already acquired a few Winchester levers,and at least one or two Colt semi autos,including my grand father's Colt 1903 -32auto pistol.
The first 81 was an excellent condition 32Rem. rifle. I'm still looking for it to try to buy it back. Then my next rem auto was a 30/30 marked Rem. Model 8, 1907-8 production.It is an average condition rifle,but I still own it. I won't be selling it . I bought it from another collector.
My Auto-5 collection is now pared down to 15 or 16 shotguns.Some are quite rare variations that I've been lucky enuf to buy over the last 35-40 years. I had a mentor that was 40 years older than me,who helped me along the way. He knew more about Auto-5s than anyone that I've ever met,in all my years of collecting JMBguns.
Thanks for your time,
Roger

Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Texas by God

Post by Texas by God »

My first 81 was a .300 Sav converted to .308 by someone -they over stamped the last zero with an 8 and sort of polished the Sav off. I reloaded ammo using .300 Sav data and all was well. Sold it to my older brother and he just used regular .308 mil surp ammo by grinding or clipping the tips off! We would throw cow patties off the river bridge and hit them till they were out of sight! I considered it in the top five of cool rifles from then on. Now I own a recently acquired 1950 .300 Sav that gives me the same feeling! But I know deep down I need a model 8 to be a complete person and the .32 Rem is my first choice. God willing it'll happen! I'm a JMB fan also- 2 Auto-5s, a Rem mod 17 20 ga, a 94 Win, a92 Win, and my 1909 1897 Win 12 ga. Oh yeah and my 1911! Best, Thomas .
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

Ok, I guess since I started all this mess to begin with I should share my first story.My first encounter with these great rifles was in 1980 something. My dads cousin my second cousin J.B. Brimhall was a well traveled hunter that had hunted the long missed elk migrations out west and at the time the greatest hunting story teller I knew. Well he must have been in his late or early 60's at the time....he always used a well used Remington 81 in 300 savage same rifle he had as he put it filled a bobtail truck full of deer and elk up with! So here I am 10 or 11 and asked to shoot this rifle with all the stories.....just about the time I was getting ready to shoot JB said hand that here kid...he had just seen a turkey land in a tree about 150 yards away....and ya he was 60 something but sure could see! I hand him the rifle and BANG..!!! A dead Rio grand turkey drops out or a tree 150 ish yards away....Well from that moment on I was a Remington model 81 fan,and I did get to shoot that one soon after we grabbed the turkey. So fast foward a few years to 1991 I find a Remington 81 in a pawn shop in Weatherford,TX with checkered stock and forend sporting a Lyman Alaskan scope in 300 savage. I think I paid $300 dollars for it. That was my first and that rifle made the rounds to Colorado ,when I was guiding and packing hunters.....even as used by a few clients to down elk when their expensive scoped rifles didn't want to work. So fast forward to 2005-06 and I had been looking on the internet for more info on these great rifles to no avail so I started the first Remington model 8/81 talk fourm. Then in January 2009 I made and founded this website with the help of David Fagan and lots of others. Turned it over to Cam in 2011 I think and he's done a wonderful job keeping it going and its really nice to see it survive and the history of these great rifle not lost. ~Pack

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
olskool

Post by olskool »

nice story packmule.
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............