MEMBER SHOOTOUT!!! Great 8 Event Back On

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
jack1653

MEMBER SHOOTOUT!!! Great 8 Event Back On

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I am happy to report that I will be able to host the get together that we had been talking about. The dust has settled and the estate issues seem to have been resolved to everyone's satisfaction, at least for the next year.

So, here is what I have been putting together. The date for the event will be The last weekend in July with the main day being Saturday, July 30' 2016. The event will be held near the town of Taylorville, Illinois. Taylorville is in central Illinois about 30 miles southeast of Springfield, Ill.

The site is located on the farm and as I stated in earlier posts, there will be adequate space for RV's if you want to bring one. There is electricity at the main house for drop cords and there is potable water but I would not plan on using it for drinking water. The well has not been in active use for over two years but we do use it for watering livestock and plants. There is no dumping station!

Taylorville does not have a lot to choose from for motels. There are two that are okay and one good B&B. I can get those names and numbers if you need them. The two larger cities within 30 miles are Springfield and Decatur. There are numerous hotels and motels in those cities. Both cities are an easy drive to Taylorville.

The main activities will be on Saturday during the day at the farm. I am planning a fish fry for Saturday afternoon around 5:00. Time is flexible. I need to know the number of attending so that I can have adequate fish. i am open for suggestions for Friday afternoon. shave a couple of decent restaurants where we can meet and eat. Again, all I need is a number of attendees so that I can make reservations.

It was suggested earlier that it would be great if we could shoot some clays. I will have a thrower by the time the event starts and we will have a good place to shoot. Bring your own shotgun shells. There is a Walmart that can provide a selection of ammo.

I will have a rifle range set for target practice. I should be able to accommodate a range up to 300 yards. I have one shooting bench thanks to sarge756 plans that he sent me. I am sure I will have more than one station by the time the event happens. Again, bring your own ammo.

I need to know how many of you will be being in rifles to show and what kind of setup you will need. For those who will want to view my rifles, you will have to come to my house which will not be a problem. If you all want to show at my place, I need to know how many are coming and I am sure that I can arrange space.

This is a start and I need your feedback on what you are expecting. There will be more postings in the days to come. Please share with us on who is coming so that others may plan.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
Sarge756

Re: Great 8 Event Back On

Post by Sarge756 »

Jack, That is the best news I have had in awhile. You have been in my thoughts and prayers for several weeks now and someone was listening. Only thing I will have to do is change the dates reserved at the Market Street Inn. Looking forward to a great weekend with friends and meeting new friends.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

YYYEEESSS :!: :!:

I'd love to come, :D put my name in the hat. More later...
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

Pending our adoption, count me & the wife in too! :mrgreen:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Cam,
Who would adopt a guy like you? :lol:
Boy did you stumble over that one :!:

Go ahead smack me back I earned it :oops:
Wish you joy & much grandkids to spoil.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That`s a good one !
81police

Post by 81police »

I'm trying to get Jack to adopt me!

P.S. You got me, that was a good one :D :oops: :cry: :evil: :mrgreen:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Re: MEMBER SHOOTOUT!!! Great 8 Event Back On

Post by 81police »

I'm going to let Jack fill in the details, but here's a few pictures of his farm with multiple shooting lanes available. So far, we have quite a few members intending to make the trip up for the shootout/meet-n-greet.
Attachments
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG (236 KiB) Viewed 8745 times
IMG_0408.JPG
IMG_0408.JPG (182.65 KiB) Viewed 8745 times
IMG_0400.JPG
IMG_0400.JPG (138.08 KiB) Viewed 8745 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

a few more...
Attachments
IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG (123.08 KiB) Viewed 8745 times
IMG_0402.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG (132.73 KiB) Viewed 8745 times
IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG (147.81 KiB) Viewed 8745 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

OOOO :!: :!:
Wish I had a place like that; Daddy in law used to but it's gone.
I really like the firepit and stumps for telling tall (true) tales.. :lol:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Jack hasn`t commented yet so I will. Got an email from him couple days ago and he is working hard to provide us a great experience at the event. Don`t think he will mind me sharing the email copied and pasted below to bring you up to date. As you will read, the plans are still being put together so don`t hesitate if you have a suggestion. It is after all going to be "our" event. The 'request' Jack mentions was about the newest addition to the collection an A3 Springfield custom in 300 Win Mag and my wanting to have a little distance to air it out.
Joe

Hey Joe,

I have been working extra hard to meet your request. While this picture does not show the target, I can assure you that you will be able to get that 300 yard shot for testing your 300 Win-Mag. If you hit the target, you will certainly hear a distinctive ring like a church bell. The target will be at in the dark area in the upper mid-center in the picture.

I made a drive this afternoon to a manufacturer of steel targets and bought some for the event. The only thing you have to do is hit it. It is a standard 12" steel target used in competition matches. The manufacturer said that as long as the ammunition is under 3000 fps, it will not cause a deflection in the target. If it is over 3000 fps, I might see an impact mark.

I sent several pictures of the shooting venue to Cameron to post on the forum in the next few days. You have been to the site and it is much greener today than when you were here last summer.

I have several thoughts in mind to make the shooting interesting and I believe it will be challenging also. I will have the shooting bench in about the same location as it was when you were here. I will have several targets available from the bench with yardage marked. I will have the 300 yd long target area which will be graduated into several yardages for those who may want shorter distances. I am thinking of a "hunter target" area similar to what I use to do in archery tournaments. These would be animal targets shot from a walking path without posted yardage to see how well people can judge distance before shooting.

These are a few of my thoughts. If you have comments or additional suggestions please feel free to tell me.

Depending on how many people we have for the event, I may have you do the cooking at my house. It will be easier and more comfortable. Unfortunately, I may not know the number until a few days before the event. I will be prepared to do the cooking in both areas.

I will not be taking all my rifles to the farm. Too darn much work. The guys will be more than welcome to view my collection at my house. I am considering having the guys bring whatever they want to share with the group to my house. I think I will be able to create enough space for guys to display what they bring. Again, I am remaining flexible because I have no idea of how much stuff the guys will be bringing. I can explore other options when I know what to expect.

I am still working on an itinerary for the event and am remaining flexible. I want to maximize the time available and am thinking of having two shooting days; one Friday afternoon 1-4 for those who get in early and the other Saturday afternoon. I think our main cooking event will be held Saturday 6-?

Looking forward to seeing you.

Kindest Regards,

Jack
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

As you can see and read, the event is starting to come together. A big THANKS to 81police for posting the pictures and to Sarge756 for posting the email I sent him. Every little bit of help is appreciated. Please let me hear from you if you have suggestions. Like Joe said it is our event and it will be what we make it.

I would like to get the names of you who think you will try and make the event. Joe also needs a head count so that he knows how much food he is going to have to cook. If I didn't say it before let me say it now. There is NO CHARGE for attending the event. Food and beverages are provided. There will be no alcohol allowed during the shooting times. There will be ample time after the shooting to have a beer or cocktail. Ammunition is your responsibility. I will have some of my rifles available for shooting but you will have to buy my ammunition or furnish your own.

More information will be forthcoming.

Regards.

jack1653