TULSA

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
jack1653

TULSA

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I am headed to the Tulsa gun show tomorrow. If you make the show give me a email and maybe we can meet for minute. I will be there on Saturday and head back on Sunday morning. Email is jack1653@att.net. Hope to see some of you. I have a bad relapse of "jackitis" that I hope can be put in remission by Sunday morning. :D :D :D

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Re: TULSA

Post by 81police »

Jack with "Jackitis" and free reign at Tulsa...what could possibly go wrong???? :mrgreen:

Will miss ya this year buddy.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey guys, I just thought I'd check in with my Tulsa report. Jack called me friday night when we all had got into town and gave me his report from the friday show day. On Saturday, I was lucky enuf to talk with Bob Creamer again for a little while. Then Jack and I texted back and forth for a little while and met up at Creamer's tables for a little pow wow time. We then went on about the task at hand,trying to see as much of the show as possible. My youngest son Blair and I went on to successfully negotiate an awful lot of the show in one day. We missed some parts ,but did pretty well for only one days work. We both needed to return home Sunday for our real work/jobs. So we didn't get to go back to the show on Sunday. The results for me and my son were as follows: I was able to examine one of curdogs carbine ceations and was quite impressed by his excellent work on this unit. Jack advised me with his opinion about the carbine conversion and I liked it alot. But my funds were limited and I purchased 2 JMB designed Winchester levers instead of the model 8 carbine. Earlier in the morning my son located a rem.8C graderound knob. I tried my hardest to buy it but couldn't come to terms with the exhibitor who had just bought it himself. It had wood that was either replaced or re-checkered,but was a decent piece. He just wouldn't sell it. We saw several 8s/81s, but none that really interested me except the carbine conversion and the C-grade m-8. It was a whirlwind tour again for me,but very fun time. Especially being able to spend 3 days with my youngest son,doing something we both enjoy. I'm happy with my new rifles,an 1892-44/40 SRC with a special order shotgun butt. And a deluxe grade win. M-81
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Wish I was there :!: :!: :cry:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Roger

Post by Roger »

Guys,it is a Winchester deluxe Model 71 ,not 81
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

The Tulsa trip was great. It was exhausting, but I managed to get through the whole show. We started at 2:00 on Friday afternoon and I was able to get through the lower level in about 4 hours. We started on Saturday about 8:30 and by 1:00 I had made it through the upper level.My son and nephew had a great time and had never experienced anything like it before.

I did not see that many Remington model 8 & 81 rifles so I was not tempted like last year. I did not see more than a dozen rifles in the place. I am sure I may have mise some but I had two ther guys looking for me. I think the Creamers had 4 rifles and that was the most I saw in one place. There were some real beaters that were not worth the prices the owners were asking. I was able to get one engraved model 8 which was not factory. The owner had it in his personal collection for many years and I learned the story behind the engraving. It is a round knob pistol grip with factory checkering and grade D wood. I have sent some pictures to 81police to post for me.

I met "curdog" again this year and bought one of his carbine barrel assemblies in 30 caliber. Mike does a fantastic job on these alterations and said the lead time is 18 months to get one. I sent 81police pictures of the barrel assembly and pictures of the completed carbine next to my 81-35 carbine. The pictures will be posted in the next few days.

In a weaker moment, jackitis got me and I bought a really clean 81-35. The forearm was incorrect but the price was right. So, now I need to find a good "Beavertail" forearm.

I spent about 3 hours talking with Bob Creamer. What a gentleman he is and a wealth of knowledge about these rifles. I wish I could have spent more time with him. He shared so much information about his years of collecting the rifles and his time at the Remington archives trying to recover information about the rifles. He is extremely dedicated to the cause. We were able to have dinner at Osaka's with his sons, Corey and Brian. We had a fun evening of eating and conversation. I can hardly wait for our next meeting.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653