Question about a model 8 or 81 extended mag

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
tammons

Question about a model 8 or 81 extended mag

Post by tammons »

I am about ready for a new/old semi auto rifle and have decided either a model 8 or 81 is what I want.

Watched a video on youtube and they mentioned a conversion to a high capacity mag as in the police model.

I am interested in that conversion to a high capacity magazine but not if it is destructive, IE I would like to be able to go back to the original mag if I wanted to?

It does seem like I would have to disassemble the action to change back to a 5 round mag but that is okay.

Is it doable while keeping the gun otherwise factory ?

Also how much does the 15 round conversion cost ?

Thanks
81police

Re: Question about a model 8 or 81 extended mag

Post by 81police »

the #1 hurdle to a conversion is the 15 round magazine itself. If you can locate one it's not uncommon for them to bring $1000+ for JUST the mag. Usually when people hear that all other questions are inconsequential lol
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
tammons

Post by tammons »

Wow.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey tamons,

Let me say that you are not the first to tackle this issue. I have posted a rather lengthy post about this subject under the heading "VerSchneider Conversions" back in 6/2/2010. You may want to check it out. I have also posted several posts about conversions and have successfully converted every model 8 &
81 in every caliber including the 300 Savage. They all work as expected just like the Police Models.
81police is correct in stating the biggest obstacle is finding an extended magazine. I tried for months before finding and paying a premium to get the magazines. I think 81police is being very conservative with his estimates in today's market. I have heard of these magazines bringing $2000 and up in today's market. I think this is absurd but their are guys like me that will pay anything to get what they want to complete a project.

Let me tell you what a more informed man told me about conversions. You never ALTER the magazine to fit the rifle. You ALTER the rifle. That being said, it is not possible to convert the fixed extended 15 shot magazine to accept the original factory installed 5 shot magazine. If there is a way, I have not found it. Oh, by the way, if you are concerned about costs, for get this project!!!

Please feel free to contact me via a PM and I will try and answer your questions.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
tammons

Post by tammons »

Seems like somebody would be making reproduction 15 rnd mags by now.

I just would like one to hunt with. Dont really care if the magazine is original or not.

Probably will move on, for now, although I really like this 8 and 81 model rifle.

Will probably look for a 5 round rifle eventually and just leave it as-is.

Thanks