WTB - Front sight/base

Items wanted
roadmarker

WTB - Front sight/base

Post by roadmarker »

Looking for a front sight and base to repair "field expedient fix" shotgun style sight soldered to jacket. :shock:
I can only imagine the story behind this modification. Looks like it's been there for about 75 years, so it is time to bring her back up to snuff.
jack1653

Re: WTB - Front sight/base

Post by jack1653 »

Can you share a picture of the sight? Thanks

Regards,

jack1653
roadmarker

Post by roadmarker »

Will do, it looks like it might even be made from a couple of pennies! At least I can get a date if that is the case. I'll take pics then desolder it and clean up the barrel prior to attempting to remove the dents with my soon to be fabricated tool. I'm right in the middle of busy season and I'm buried by 6 big projects.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

RM.
I feel your need to fix, the original sight base (3/8 dovetail) was brazed to the barrel sleeves, your removal should not cause problems. A little care to not burn threads inside the barrel, not too much heat on blueing, you should be OK. The barrel block is not typically available separate from the sleeve, though. I've seen only 2 in my years of trading.
One might try one of the Remington or Savage shotgun bases for 12 ga they might be an alternate. I haven't checked OD of the the sleeve vs 12ga. When you replace, I suggest a silver solder instead of braze. The braze gets awful hot. Ones I've seen removed were cooked to a crisp, ruining finish.
Another alternate could be a different barrel sleeve. It should have the base brazed in place.
Phyrbird
SOKY