Howdy from Montana...

New Member Introductions
roadmarker

Howdy from Montana...

Post by roadmarker »

I just wanted to say Hi to everyone and also thank you for having this board.
I was just handed down a 1909 RAR, (model 8) and I will start restoring it this winter. It has a bit of rust, but I truly admire Browning's creation. I hope to take it to the woods next season, though if I do, I know in my mind I'll come face to face with a monster grizzly or notorious outlaws. This rifle does have a colorful history.
81police

Re: Howdy from Montana...

Post by 81police »

Your RAR is "Big Enough For The Biggest Game" as they used to say! If you get around to taking photos please share them here, we love pictures :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
roadmarker

Post by roadmarker »

Does anyone have any info on finding someone to shorten my RAR due to a dented front barrel jacket?
81police

Post by 81police »

I think Mike Rowe has done them...
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

you can PM forum member "curdog"
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey roadmarker,

Welcome to the site. Have you considered a dent remover? There is a tool that can be inserted into the jacket to remove dents if I remember correctly it is an 8 gauge size and cone shaped on the end of a rod. These tools were are for removing dents in shotgun barrels. Some of the old timers might recall this tool and add some insight for you. This would be a lot less expensive than re-tooling the barrel and jacket. Those of us that have carbines can tell you all about the cost of cutting down a barrel assembly.

Regards,

jack1653
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Agree with Jack, another method is to use a snug fit socket. Judicious use of a non-marring hammer on the outside can smooth out the warp and woof of a dent. Auto body workers do it all the time.
Phyrbird
SOKY
roadmarker

Post by roadmarker »

Thanks guys,
The only problem is that the dents are located where the jacket is threaded so I don't know if they would get damaged. I'm looking for a jacket right now and I'll be one the look out for the dent remover. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

If thread damage is a concern try some brass shim stock between the dent remover and the threads. I've had to use this method on some precision parts at a previous job with good success. Course you gotta be careful, do a little at a time....
Luck to you. If you find a 8 ga dent remover I'd like to borrow, please.
Phyrbird
SOKY
curdog

Post by curdog »

Roadmarker

It would be best to lift the dent if you can.
The carbine conversions are done by shortening the back end of the jacket, and the front of the barrel.
There is a collar inside which contains the recoil springs, and this is not readily moveable. This collar distance
is related to the muzzle end, hence shortening at the back.
I've done six conversions now, all calibers except the .25, and have had no problems with any
of them function wise.
The best way to lift dents is very slowly, using hardened and polished plugs going up in .001" size at a time.
Using a very small hammer the dent is worked around until the next plug will slide under the dent. Keep going until
you're there. If this sounds like overkill, it is not. Those who tell you it is, are not required to work to the standards to
which I am required. The job will be almost undetectable if there are no gouges or cuts in the surface.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

10-4 on that
Phyrbird
SOKY
roadmarker

Post by roadmarker »

Thanks again guys. I just got a 2" long 7/8 brass round rod plug from eBay for less than $8.00. I will center drill it and cut it at an angle to create a pair of wedges. I'll add a piece of all-thread, a 12" long 1/2" brass tube to act as a long spacer and protect the inside of the jacket. I'll then add some washers and locking nuts so when I tighten it, it will increase the diameter of the plug. I'll make use of my brass hammer and use very small taps to correct the situation. I'll try to take pictures so I can share it in a post. If it works out, I figure I could always get a new plug for different bore diameters and use it on shotguns.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Why didn't I think of That :?: :?: :oops: Note try a hard plastic hammer first, it may not mar the bluing.... :geek:
Cool idea, If it works photos please....
Phyrbird
SOKY