locating sling swivel in forearm: any thoughts....

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Adam Lee

locating sling swivel in forearm: any thoughts....

Post by Adam Lee »

Alright,

so this is one of those topics that defies easy categorization.....LOL....and it is not a big deal to me, just a series of "what would you do" kinda deals.

I have a .300 Savage Model 81 that is a later model 81, with the more usual slab-sided forearm. I would like to countersink a sling swivel screw forward of the barrel jacket/forearm attachment screw mounting point; hope to find some pics or feedback on this subject. Why not just use the factory-provided jacket screw mount point? Lots of reasons - mainly, it is just less messy and less opportunity to bugger-up the jacket threads.

So....if anyone has pics or experience of adding a sling swivel mount forward of the forearm mounting screw, I'd love to hear about it.

FYI: .300 Savage kicks butt!!!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Re: locating sling swivel in forearm: any thoughts....

Post by 81police »

The jacket hole location is the ideal spot for the front swivel. Not only is this location stronger because it's tapped into the barrel jacket reinforcement block, but you don't run any risk of damaging the forearm over time. The 81 forearms are thicker than the 8's, but none were made in mind to have swivels in them...not like a beefy stock where you have plenty of thick walnut. I know S&S once offered a really really cool no-drill sling which was tied/wrapped. It was really slick looking.

Besides for $29.99, you can have a rear and front (in the jacket) swivel set below. Nice looking set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-Model ... SwMmBVy-pt

But these are only my 2 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I totally agree Adam, the ole springpole 300 is a thumper on both ends! :shock: :oops:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Yeah Cam,

I know that the jacket hole is the best spot. Guess I will go that route anyway - what's the pitch and screw size again? I know it's been discussed many times before....

OK walking the dogs now!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Buy the one on ebay and your done. Wouldn`t wait too long though I just bought one of the ones remaining. Thanks Cam, for the link I had not seen this one.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Adam,

81police gave good advice on your question. If you want to devalue you're rifle, then put a swivel in the forearm where it was never meant to be. That barrel jacket hole for the swivel is many times stronger than the walnut would ever be. There have been attempts at putting the swivel in the same hole as the take down screw. You would have to get a different take down screw that would facilitate the addition length of the swivel. This method would be preferred over mounting in the wood and would not hurt the value of the rifle unless the selected replacement screw would not allow the swivel to swivel!

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

jack1653 wrote:Hey Adam,

81police gave good advice on your question. If you want to devalue you're rifle, then put a swivel in the forearm where it was never meant to be. That barrel jacket hole for the swivel is many times stronger than the walnut would ever be. There have been attempts at putting the swivel in the same hole as the take down screw. You would have to get a different take down screw that would facilitate the addition length of the swivel. This method would be preferred over mounting in the wood and would not hurt the value of the rifle unless the selected replacement screw would not allow the swivel to swivel!

Regards,

jack1653
See, Jack always has great ideas and the best advice! :mrgreen:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Aw, I know the jacket screw hole is the place to get my swivel planted - wishin' I'd a never opened this can of worms!

Don't worry - no M81 forearms are being harmed in this exercise!

Since I am able to remove the plug screw, I am able to put the correct swivel in there. What I want to do is just get a "blanked" swivel mount without the swivel - so I can adapt a quick-release type/Uncle Mike's sling arrangement.

Harder for me to explain than actually do - basically, I'd like to take what you guys see in the replacement swivel, and "cut off" the metal loop - might have to show in pics what I mean but then again, it might just be my impatience as of late with my lower jaw being on fire 24/7.

I'll try and make a pic of what I'm describing - eventually!

And Jack, you've got mail - FYI!

Adam
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Adam, understand what you are after now. I`ve converted standard swivel sets to studs for the uncle mikes style removable ones. Makes it handy to swap a favorite sling between several rifles. Removal of the sling loop with a dremel cutoff wheel is an easy do that leaves a stud with hole to attach the removable swivels. Buying a set like ones listed in link to convert may be the pricey way to go but will at least assure that the thread pitch on the front one is correct to avoid the buggering you mentioned. If someone doesn`t chime in with the correct thread pitch required I `ll measure the set I bought and let you know what it is.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."