30 Rem for sale; 32 BBL for trade

Items for sale or trade
Phyrbird

30 Rem for sale; 32 BBL for trade

Post by Phyrbird »

Ladies and Gents,
Got a 30 Remington M81 for sale. Just in time for Xmas if you like. Rifle has over 90% original blue that is slightly browning now, no cold blue to my knowledge, very faint "freckle" in places, a replacement mag spring to make function correct. I have fired this one, it will empty the mag OK. No known problems. I have not checked group sizes on paper. I have not taken down the barrel assy for cleaning, will leave that to you. The butt stock has some pretty ripple in the walnut where it kisses your cheek. ;)
pix411846023 for web.jpg
pix411846023 for web.jpg (20.87 KiB) Viewed 12015 times
pix423243492 for web.jpg
pix423243492 for web.jpg (21.59 KiB) Viewed 12015 times
pix393211259 for web.jpg
pix393211259 for web.jpg (22.48 KiB) Viewed 12015 times
In addition I've a extra 32 Rem barrel that needs a home.

Take $600 (plus shipping to your FFL) for the M81.
We might could swap barrels if you have an extra, kinda need a 35 for a M8 project.
Need to get 100 for the barrel if you please.

Yours,

The Flaming Byrd
Phyrbird
SOKY
Phyrbird

Re: 30 Rem for sale; 32 BBL for trade

Post by Phyrbird »

I almost feel ashamed. :( :oops:
Almost :!: The model 81 has left the herd in a trade. It's not for a Browning or even Remington; my shame grows :!: (Maybe)
The same show that generated the 2 recent trades produced a trade I have been waiting for 25 years. It's a C96 "Mauser called it the Modell 1930" :twisted:
My first show at the Armory in Louisville there were 3 tables as you walked in; crates under the tables, with stacked surplus pistols. All of them had wooden holsters. :shock: All of them were on sale for $46.50. If I had spent all my cash on the artillery Lugers and Mausers then I could retire comfortably now. :oops: :oops: :cry:
This was not Jackitis, it was a critical investment.
Phyrbird
SOKY
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Carl,

I am sorry that you reduced your herd. That means you will be roaming the range to find a replacement. :D :D I am glad that you got something you were wanting. Just remember that all of the acquisitions are investment, some are better than others! :o :o

Regards,

Jack
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

I did not see any info on the 32 barrel. Do you still have it for sale/trade? I don't have much to trade since I only have a few measly ol' humpbacks-one without a barrel. Oh yes, is it a barrel, or a barrel assembly (jacket, springs, etc.)?

I have been off the board several years. Just getting to my rusty pile of a 32 Rem that had been in a flooded cabin for three months.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

BHT,
Sorry to hear about the flood. Get lots of Browning gun oil :idea: to the rescue :!: :!:

The 32Rem barrel is just the bare barrel. Not all rusted up for an in the white part. I'm in the middle of a restore of a bare M8 receiver so there is a shortage of springs, and barrel jackets. I can't use the 300Sav barrel assy on the M8. I'm trying to trade/sell some extras for a 35Rem barrel assy to put on the restoration. There is also a shortage of 32Rem brass and loaded rounds. I have a grand total of 45 rounds for 2 rifles.
What have you for trade? I am looking for a wooden holster for a Mauser '96, 7.63 Mauser brass, 32Rem rounds, another rifle with holes for the Griffin & Howe scope mount, (5 holes, #2 & 4 not tapped) folding rear sights to use with tang sights, and a new home for a Lyman 41 receiver sight. (it works fine, just needs one piece for a repair)
I hate to use a lot of my 30Rem brass to form into 32 or 25 Rem as it's too easy to put the wrong round in a rifle. Case marking is another safety measure.
If you'll check with Adam and a couple others on the forum we have done past sell/trades with both parties happy.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

BTW Carl,

I could swap the .32 barrel on my .30 Model 81, right? Same bolt face, same spring setup, correct? Just thinking about that but maybe it's not as easy as that.
And if you are interested, I have a ton of antique unfired 1920's era .32 Remington I am happy to sell. My plan had been to pull some of the bullets, anneal the old brass (since it's still nice looking), and have "actual" .32 Rem brass on hand for reloading. I have tried some of the ammo in my Model 14 pump gun, some of it fired fine some were hang fires. Mainly, it is nice stuff for ammunition collectors but all the boxes are in not so great shape.

OK I'm rambling - just had my last wisdom tooth taken out this morning, and I'm 52 years old!!!

Adam Lee
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Adam,
I think there have been a multitude of barrel swaps. If you like the 32 it is feasible. I suggest a complete barrel assembly. Further I strongly recommend checking headspace B4 any firing tests. I use a .003-.005 thick plastic shim stock on the base of the case. :idea: If the thicker one doesn't want to close the bolt, the bare case fits fine, and the thinner shim causes slight resistance you should be OK. there are companies that make gages but they are EXPENSIVE. Most won't consider production for just one gage, therefore my workaround.
Numrich lists the parts for the 25, 30, & 32Rem barrel assembly as the same, could be. I am in the process of documenting the dimensions of all my springs for reference, a work in progress. Perhaps some of our members have already done so, Help? :?:
:cry: I can sympathize with wisdom teeth removal. I had all 4 removed in a 4 hour session, under local, (3 boosters while in the chair) and it's a session I refuse to repeat. I was off work for a week. I remember that your lip can be stretched back to ones jaw hinge. :shock: The last tooth came out from the side of my jawbone. I was awake the whole time.
We need to discuss your supply of 32 and my bare barrel, we traded in the past. :D

PM sent
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Hey Carl - check your email inbox!

thanks - Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Adam, Got email(s) good to partner with you again....
It's really nice to work with folks that team up so everyone is delighted....

Carl
Phyrbird
SOKY
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Just a heads up, the 32R barrel left home yesterday. I know it will find a good new home, and with relatives... :)
Jack, as for a replacement we've talked about it. I don't seem to have a big enough crowbar ;) to get one away from you. It must be an advanced complication of Jackitis :lol:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Nice barrel, Carl. I like the "Y19" code - and that it has no chamber markings!!

Take care

Adam (being attacked by my own dogs preventing me from emailing)
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

This is not our first trade. For the record Adam is timely in response, gives good value for a trade, and is nice to chat with. The rest of our members can trust his word. :!:
Thank you Sir :)
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Thanks for the kind words, Carl - but before I forget - I did consult my Henwood book just to recall the story behind this fine "no label" or no roll stamped .32 barrel I now own.

These were not marked from 1906 to somewhere around 1910-ish - instead, the jacket head was hand-engraved with the chambering. Neato torpedo!

So apparently this .32 Rem barrel is one of the first few thousand manufactured. Again, nice to know - and it's in good shape too!

Any other "Y19" roll-stamped .32 Rem barrels out there guys?

Take care
Adam