S/N 35 Model 8

New Member Introductions
madyareh

S/N 35 Model 8

Post by madyareh »

Hi. Up here in Alberta Canada I recently came across a Model 8 35 cal in very dirty but overall undamaged condition. Got it for free. It looks like it worked hard most of its life but doesn't seem to have been shot a lot. The barrel is clean and the rifling is still distinct. It looks like it bounced around in a truck or scabbard a long while then was used to stir a moonshine still. (lol) Unfortunately, the rear stock was broken off at the mount, the forestock has been butchered and is cracked where it meets the receiver, the blueing is largely gone, the rear sight has the whole notch part broken right off after the tangs and it is seems to be missing the main action return spring and tube that sits into the rear stock. Otherwise it seems to be all there and could be a good project. I'm totally new to these guns and gun rebuilding in general but I do have several vintage arms in my meagre collection. In addition to maintaining a fleet of vintage motorcycles and many other time and labour intensive hobbies and outdoor activities, I even work occasionally. I thought that this particular gun did not have a serial number as I assumed the "35" and a circled J on the lower area aft of the forestock was simply a repeat of the hand scribed "35 REM" on the top. After seeing serial number 59's picture with the serial number in the same area, the light came on, I realized the s/n and similar calibre were simply a coincidence and that I had a truly rare and early find. Before I discovered the serial number, I managed to remove the trigger action with the instructions from this and other sites and have started cleaning the internals up. (can you spell grunge?) It was a tough pull as the machining is real tight. Someone really took their time making this one. I need some advice as to what to do next. Should I halt my overhaul so I don't make any mistakes? I'm not into disassembling the bolt assembly, I just gave it all a once over in my varsol parts cleaner and reassembled it. Is this early antique worth a good chunk for its low s/n? If I keep it I'd need a few parts for it to get it up and running and as an early s/n it'd be a shame to part it out. I'd need the rear stock, front stock, rear sight, main return spring and tube, and the screw for the forestock.
Thanks
Rob
slickcity2010 at hotmail dot com
Attachments
103_2578.JPG
103_2578.JPG (136.54 KiB) Viewed 6737 times
103_2579.JPG
103_2579.JPG (90.96 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
103_2580.JPG
103_2580.JPG (91.16 KiB) Viewed 6734 times
imfuncity

Re: S/N 35 Model 8

Post by imfuncity »

I hereby relinquish my claim to the "Ugliest Model on Earth", you are the man.

IMHO the 35th Model 8 in 35cal is too good (and ironic) to abandon. I'd start on a quest to fix and repair - taking it back to as original as possible. I'd also bet that regardless of it's obvious abuse that she'll still fire when she has enough parts to function.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
madyareh

Post by madyareh »

I did see that ugly contest thread you held last year and I'm pretty confident this gun would take it in spades. And don't forget this is AFTER it was rudimentrally cleaned and the guck swarged out of the crevices. I couldn't even run the action or move the trigger until I hosed it down with WD-40 for a bit. I talked to Harold Kelly this aft at The Gun Rack over in Centralia WA and he had the recoil spring and end kits, tube and pin for around $40.00 delivered. I'm OK with that since I'm not out any significant money yet thus far for it and it's becoming a bit of a pet for me. (It is a bit of a burn from the original 1929 pricing of just over a dollar total) These guns DO kinda grow on you don't they? It's like they have a beating heart in there. Anyway, he had a forearm for an 81 too but I passed on it for now. I'd like the look to still be original even if it's bruised but I'll keep my eye out for a better one in the interim. I'll glue it up and fill it if necessary for now. Meanwhile, a standard mod 8 butt stock could prove a tough find though. I figure I'll just doctor up an appropriate stock from a wreck if I can't find one. I'm also an amateur cabinetmaker too so fining up a match shouldn't be too tough. That'll get me shooting for now. Eventually I'll do her right. The SN 29 that surfaced here last year has her beat for production but I'm sure they at least winked at each other across the fab bench. Maybe even test fired together. Are these the earliest serials you've seen through here or are there older ones about?

I do seem to have a soft spot for low production runs. The bike clan I harbor here had a very low production run too. They made only 5000 of these Suzuki Madura GV series V4 rocket cruisers in the years 84-86 with some significant design changes for 86, the year they produced only 500 or so before halting production for good. This design was miles ahead of its time too and was built to last with such things as hydraulic lifters, shaft drive, electronic ignition and monoshock suspension. It competed on par with the Magna and VMax of the day and still walks away from almost anything on the street under 800 cc. I have 3 of the 86 GV1200's running clean and with crashes and neglect taking its toll on these muscle bikes I figure there are less than 100 still out there in that year and maybe 6 or 7 hundred total. That puts me the owner of 3% of that year's design.

Maybe it's just vintage fast projectiles I have a hankering for...

On a side note, I also have a Rem Model 10 12 Ga pump in worthy shape and a Rem Model 12 .22 pump from the same era. My dad handed them down to me quite a ways back and I've fielded them both. The 12 Ga is getting a little loose for my liking so I don't use it in the field anymore but I do occasionally run some light stuff through it for fun. (Like obliterating gophers) I remember my dad after geese with it when we were much younger (like 2 score years back) and it occasionally would fire spontaneously on slamming the bolt closed if you mistakenly held the trigger down in the heat of the action. That's when he was emptying that 6 clip into a big flock. (sigh...) That's not my idea of safe, clean fun. It is chambered for 3" but that would be just silly to even consider now with today's loads. The bottom eject is a neat feature on it and it's a smooth action to run. It's also a pinch to stuff the magazine as you just palm it up and in with your thumb through the same port into the tube magazine. It holds 6 shots too but Canadian regs restricts it to 3 so it gets the broompole up the pyongyang... The 22 is a real tack driver but it too is beginning to have feeding problems. It's interesting to note too that the model 10 was Remington's first successful pump 12 Ga released and was another of Browning's brainchildren. So too was the model 12 .22.

Anyway, it'll be fun.

Good meeting y'all.
Look forward to pickin' yer brains.
Attachments
D.JPG
D.JPG (77.38 KiB) Viewed 6667 times
Last edited by madyareh on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
madyareh

Post by madyareh »

Oops my bad. John Douglas Pederson designed both of the Model 10 and 12.
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I see the parts you need currently listed on gunbroker. I think a bit pricy, but since the gun was free, you would not be out a great expense. What a great find. This rifle does have the first type safety lever and is in great condition except for the wood. Let me know if it is for sale??????
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I am also a bike rider and I am currently on a Honda Shadow 750 Spirit. I ride most weekends with my youngest son and his friends on sports bikes. I ride the sports bike some times, but still like the cruiser. I did have a Honda 900F, which was quite a bike for it's time also.

ROBO
81police

Post by 81police »

What a great find! I'd have to agree with others, that rifle is a prime canidate for restoration. If you can't find the parts you're looking for email me, I've got some.

Cam
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
madyareh

Post by madyareh »

Thanks all. As for parts, I haven't actually sent the order in from the gun rack. If I can get all the parts in one go I'd be better off...
I need a 35 rem action spring(2), tube(5), follower(1), plug(3) and pin(4). That's $45.00 from the gun rack alone. I also need a forearm(34), forearm screw and swivel(119), rear swivel(?), butt stock(25), (preferably in pistol grip), plate(209), screws(91) and the rear sight base(69), leaf(70) and screw(71). The 2 rear sight screws(72) are still in the barrel holding the broken off leaf. I'm not really sure where the rear sight base(69) or screw(71) go as I can't see a place for them on my gun but they are in the parts list. Are they part of the peep sight? The front sight(39) is pretty mashed up too and could use replacing but I can probably fix that up on my own. If I could get all or most of those from one or more of you I'd sure appreciate it.
The original total cost for those parts was $12.95 before the 20% cost increase imposed in 1941 but I'm sure I could handle some appreciation to today's dollars for them. I realize that the rear sight assemblies are pretty hard to pick up these days and stocks are rare too but whatever you can spare I'd be tickled to receive.

As for selling it, I'd have to sell it over the border and that can be a hassle, plus I'm kinda growing fond of this old bushlord.

Here's some pix of the interior and the parts list.
Attachments
FileA.jpg
FileA.jpg (202.5 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
FileBa.JPG
FileBa.JPG (235.5 KiB) Viewed 6609 times
FileC.jpg
FileC.jpg (76.72 KiB) Viewed 6608 times
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Ah, the only thing I see wrong with your wish list is the pistol grip butt stock. Your trigger plate is for the straight stock and you would have to change the trigger plate to go with the much more curved rear tang. This could be some big bucks. I have seen one out there, curved tang trigger plate starting at $100.

Robo