Removing safety detent ball

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
MBiz

Removing safety detent ball

Post by MBiz »

Hello everyone,
I am restoring a 1917 M8, S.N. 39291 and I have encountered a challenge. That is how to dismantle the safety detent ball and the front sight ramp on the barrel jacket. Does any one have experience with either of these parts. Thank you for your help

81police

Re: Removing safety detent ball

Post by 81police »

Great questions. I've had success removing the detent ball by the pictures below. I basically took a needle w/ a plastic head, broke the needle in half so it's shorter. Then grabbed it with a pair of pliers. I then inserted the needle into the receiver and down into the hole of the detent ball. Next take a hammer and begin tapping the pliers. You'll definitely want to put something under the detent to catch it when it comes out, otherwise you'll never find it!

As for the front sight, you'd need a front sight pusher to do it proper-like. The company Williams makes a nice one which prevents any damage to the sight base. Hope that helps.
Attachments
IMG_4312.JPG
IMG_4312.JPG (230.43 KiB) Viewed 5773 times
IMG_4313.JPG
IMG_4313.JPG (78.96 KiB) Viewed 5773 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

If you are talking about the front sight ramp base It's brazed :shock: in place. The heat to remove can ruin a blue finish, and sometimes raise scale :oops: :cry: on the barrel sleeve and base. Remove at your peril..... :oops:
Phyrbird
SOKY
MBiz

Post by MBiz »

Thank you for your help. How about ''grinding'' the edge of the ramp or touching it with the zip cut.
curdog

Post by curdog »

If you will look inside the end of the barrel jacket, you should see the head of the rivet which attaches the front sight ramp. It is about at the end of the threads. That should line up with the center of the dovetail, and it can be easily drilled out.
The fore end lug is attached in the same manner, except it uses two rivets.
MBiz

Post by MBiz »

Thank all,
I successfully removed the ball following the advice I received. Now I will try the rampe and keep you posted with pics.