Winchester marked Model 8

Posts about the Model 8
Packmule

Winchester marked Model 8

Post by Packmule »

This was in a auction a few years ago not sure if anyone posted it, but what a cool Model 8
story from auction:
Originally produced by Remington, this rifle was acquired by Winchester Repeating Arms and used in their test lab. Blade front and adjustable semi-buckhorn sights, with the standard 2-line address and patents on the barrel and caliber marked chamber. The left side of the frame has been engraved in script "W.R.A. Co/ 10-9-08", with circled "W" stamps on the underside. Schnabel tip forearm, hand numbered to gun, with a smooth straight wrist buttstock and checkered buttplate. Formerly of the Peter & Patty Murray collection of Winchester rifles, with a pair of hanging information tags and factory letter.
BBL: 22 inch round
Stock: walnut
Gauge: 25-35
Finish: blue
Grips:
Serial Number: 15093

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
jim8008

Re: Winchester marked Model 8

Post by jim8008 »

The hanging tag is wrong. The caliber is not 25-35 WCF.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey pack mule,

Thanks for posting the story on this rifle. That would be a nice addition to any collection. I wonder where it is today. One has to wonder what kind of success this rifle would have had if it had been produced by Winchester instead of Remington. Of course we know that Winchester at that time was THE name in firearms at that time in history in the USA. I believe that I read or was told the JMB got irritated with the folks at Winchester and went to Remington with his patents. Bad mistake for Winchester and good for Remington.

Regards,

jack1653
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

no problem Jack, it sold in 2012 for $1500 plus auction fees , and yes Mr. Browning got a little frustrated with Winchester, that had the rights to most of his guns including the Model 8 but never wanted to produce it. So I was told by someone also lol

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
centennial

Post by centennial »

I know this is an old thread, but I just came in to possession of a model 8 that is marked similar to the one above.
It is chambered in 25 rem.
Here are a couple of photos.
Any input is appreciated.

81police

Post by 81police »

Hey centennial, welcome to the home of Remington's "springpole"

You have a really cool rifle. Looking at your rifle and the other one, even though the markings are in different locations, when you compare the style/font of the scripts they are practically identical. The two dates are in close proximity as well as the serial numbers. It does certainly appear to be another Winchester test rifle, and I don't see anything that's to say otherwise.

I noticed your rifle has multiple repair codes on the jacket head (left side where the receiver meets the barrel jacket). Would you share those numbers/letters with us?

Congrats on a nice Model 8.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
centennial

Post by centennial »

Here is a photo:

centennial

Post by centennial »

Any help deciphering those codes?
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir, welcome aboard.
I've collected JMB designed Winchester for 35+ yrs. So this rifle is of particular interest to me. Where abouts would one find such an interesting piece of history? I'd love to have this in my collection. You've hit the jackpot here,in my humble opinion. If you decide to sell it, please contact me. I'm always open to gun deals.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
centennial

Post by centennial »

Thanks!
At this point, I'm really just interested in finding out all that I can about this rifle.
81police

Post by 81police »

centennial,

Those markings are all Remington factory repair codes. They correspond to the following...

RD3 = November, 1935
G3 (this code is unusual in that it doesn't have a month stamp, unless the large, unusual "L" stamp is for the month. I don't know) = 1938
LW3 = February, 1928
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
centennial

Post by centennial »

Thanks for the info 81police!
That "L" is what really has my curiosity.
Has anyone seen that mark before and have a clue as to what it indicates?