Visit with Jack

Posts about the Model 8
Sarge756

Visit with Jack

Post by Sarge756 »

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1898

The long anticipated trip to Montana from Florida was made and wife and I are back home after three weeks on the road.Mapping the trip with the assistance of "google map" the route took us north from Florida on our way to planned stops in Nashville,Storm Lake Iowa,Rapid City and finally Emigrant,Mt. I noted that we were traveling through Illinois from Nashville and thought about the promise to myself to see our member Jack1653`s cased rifle project in person one day. Emails and phone calls confirmed Jack would be available and he provided recommendation for a wonderful B&B in his small Illinois town. Visit was more than we anticipated. Restful two days and opportunity to make new friends of Jack and his wife.
The return trip from Montana included a stop in Cody,Wy and the firearms exhibit at the Museum of the West. It was impressive but somehow I didn`t get as big a kick out of it as I had thought I would. Kinda nagged on me rest of the way home until I realized it was Jack`s fault. While nice to view all the arms under glass at Cody, having the opportunity to see and touch Jack`s extensive collection left me spoiled for anything else. Not just touching but an afternoon of shooting at the farm with a dozen or so 8`s and 81`s chosen from the collection. I shot the "carbine" as seen in Cam`s video. I didn`t dump the entire magazine of 35 Rem but did rapid fire 6 or 7. I was surprised that with the short barrel that the recoil wasn`t as bad as I had feared. Think I actually hit the target a few times.
The visit ended too soon and many thanks to Jack and his bride for a memorable two days.

For those that may have missed earlier post of Jack`s cased rifle project the link was included above. While the photos are good ,seeing it in person is beyond words.

Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Re: Visit with Jack

Post by 81police »

The Cody museum has nothing on the Ahlberg Firearms Museum ;)

It sounds like you learned the best part about visiting Jack, it wasn't the guns, but getting to hang out with a great guy.

Sounds like y'all had a BLAST!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

Thanks for resurrecting that interesting 4 year old link, Sarge! I hadn't dug that far back into the threads to find that one yet.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

http://store.centerofthewest.org/books/ ... ddard.html

Cam you are 100% correct.Being treated to Illinois hospitality and getting to know Jack and his wife was more enjoyable than the collection. I was somewhat prepared for the 8/81 collection but then the drawers filled with a complete collection of S&W revolvers in each caliber and barrel length were pulled out. :o :o Then a row of Weatherby Mark V`s in each caliber :shock: :shock: .
I agree the Cody Museum has nothing on his collection except a gift shop. I did score a coffee table book "The Guns of Remington" while there and have included the link to it above. It is offered at a substantial discount for those that might be interested. Beautiful book with great photos covering lots of 8`s and 81`s.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Glad you had a chance to visit Jack and sounds like a great time. Hanging out talking about and shooting our favorite guns, examining an extensive collection of historic firearms, traveling across the country....wow that about says it all! Good times!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Great info.
Phyrbird
SOKY