Krieger Detachable Magazines/conversions value

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Loren in MN

Krieger Detachable Magazines/conversions value

Post by Loren in MN »

I'd like anyones opinion as to the added value or desirability of a #81 with the Krieger detachable magazine? Assuming a rifle is in good useable condition, how much would this conversion add to the value?

I just bought a 1949 Rem #81 in .300 Sav with this conversion and two clips. Bluing is great -not reblued and stock is nice with some small scatches. I'm sure it is a Krieger conversion as it has all the same parts/style as those shown in picts. I was at a gun show and someone was trying to sell this. I have an idea of actual value for a standard rifle. There was also a dealer with two rifles for sale with the same conversion. I know they can't be real common and was very surprised to see 3 at the same gun show. The dealers guns as I recall were both #81s -one .35 Rem and one .300 Sav.

I also have a 1912 Rem #8 in .35 Rem that I hunt with and just love to shoot. Had another #81 in .300 Sav but sold it a few years ago as it wasn't used and I prefered to use the #8.

Thanks for any input,
Loren
81police

Re: Krieger Detachable Magazines/conversions value

Post by 81police »

Hey Loren, I think it just depends on the rifle. I don't think there's a set amount of money the Krieger adds to the value. Lot of factors play into it, scope mounts, tapped receivers, recoil pads, etc. An extra magazine like you're talking about certainly adds more value too.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Loren in MN

Post by Loren in MN »

This rifle I bought has a Pachmayr tip off scope mount with a cheap scope. But what I'm wondering is -how much more desirable is it to have the Krieger conversion and what value would that add to the rifle?
Personally I'd prefer one without a scope mount as I don't like having the receiver tapped. So lots of factors will affect overall gun value and I'm sure a minty #8 or #81 is far more desirable than a average one, but IF either one had the Krieger detachable magazines, "What would this add in value?" -This is given that you and I already had one, two or a dozen of these fine rifles. (More is always better!-Right?)
How rare are the Krieger conversions and how much more would that alone add?
I would also assume that a purest may want only an unaltered rifle. I think these are part of the rifles history at this point in time. But I've noticed in several forums many comments from people wanting this addition and seem to find it very desirable. This is what has made me wonder if this conversion adds much value.

Thanks again,
Loren
81police

Post by 81police »

Well again Loren it just goes back to the condition of the rifle. I wouldn't give a set amount by saying Krieger's add $300 to the value, it just depends on the condition of the rifle. Most Krieger's i've seen go from anywhere between $700-1000. Just depends on a lot of things and must be taken case by case.

My personal opinion is that rifles that have never had their stocks cut/altered for recoil pads and have never had their receivers tapped (even if they do carry a scope mount and scope) are worth more to collectors. Krieger's are desirable because they are a piece of 8/81 history, they look and function like a factory done setup, and are not terribly common. I would say most guys who purchase them don't do so because they want a more user friendly rifle in the woods, they do so because they want a rare and unusual rifle. So yes the Krieger conversion does add value to the rifle.

In our article, we mention that we do not know how many of these were made. I'd imagine a few hundred.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Loren in MN

Post by Loren in MN »

Thanks I understand what your saying about condition overall, but I was trying to get an estimate as to how much extra it would add to the gun if I decided to sell it later. I was thinking that the Krieger conversion might add 25-35% to the overall value assuming that the gun hasn't been butchered or abused. I feel that I bought it cheap enough and bought it as an investment knowing they were somewhat rare. I didn't buy one from the dealer. I'd never seen one and then to see 3 total at the same gunshow really surprised me. The dealer that had them had flaws (rear sight missing -blank filled and williams peep sights added, but good bluing and fair stocks) in the guns that detracted from the value and may still have made his guns worth the $500 he was asking. So his guns, in my opinion may have been worth $250-$350 as standard rifles but with the Krieger conversion may then be worth the asking price. This is what I'm asking -would the conversion add up to $200 or more given the gun is in good condition over normal market prices? In my area, a #81 like I bought might sell for $400 to $475 as a standard rifle in common, useable or readily available calibers. I would pay double for a #8/81 in mint condition over a standard working gun whether it had the conversion or not, but might also pay $XXX more if it had the conversion. I also understand that this conversion might be worth less to some collectors than others. If a gun in fair working condition might not be one I'd even want if it had enough flaws, but if I didn't have one with the conversion I may still buy it. I do understand what your saying but still there should be some estimate as to what a Krieger conversion might add.

Thanks a lot for you input, I do appreciate it!
Loren