Layman - The Original Detachable Magazine!

81police

Layman - The Original Detachable Magazine!

Post by 81police »

Decades before R. Krieger & Son's began marketing their detachable magazine conversions, Theodore D. Layman filed patent for a one-of-a-kind magazine conversion for the Model 8. This magazine conversion pre-dates any other known conversions. Patent 1,069,339 was filed May 31, 1912 and approved August 5, 1913. Layman's conversion was distinctively unique in that is did not utilize factory components unlike nearly all other conversions found today. It's amazing that it took him only 6 years after the Model 8 was introduced to design this conversion and file for a patent. There were certainly many advantages to this design but from his own words, it's apparent that T.D. Layman had hunters in mind with this invention,

"A further object of the invention is to provide detachable magazine attachements that shall be so constructed that a hunter wearing thick gloves may easily unlock and remove a magazine and replace it by another loaded magazine without necessitating the removal of his gloves.

A further object of the invention is to provide a detachable magazine that shall be free from projections that would be liable to catch in the garments of the hunter when handling the magazines or placing them into his pockets or the gun.

A still further object is to provide an improved trigger plate that shall be so constructed as to not only detachably connect the magazine with the gun, but shall serve to guard the magazine against accidental injury during rough usage while hunting or under other circumstances, which magazine and connecting means shall be relatively simple in constuction, affording positive locking means and be durable and economical in use."

The conversion consisted of a completely new trigger plate and magazine to replace the factory assembly. The trigger plate was of the same general dimensions as the factory version so the stock did not have to be changed. Incorporated into the trigger plate was a "novel locking bolt" or spring loaded magazine catch that served to lock the magazine in place as well as a release it when depressed.

The newly constructed magazine contained a small shoulder on the back rib which engaged a catch and locked the magazine in place. At the time of this conversion, the factory Model 8 magazine came with a single right side spring. These Layman magazines had no side springs but instead the ends of the magazine had curved lips, 2 in near the nose in front, and 2 in back along the case body. Interior vertical guide ribs helped to keep the nose of the cartridge aligned. In regards to magazine capacity,

"in practical use the gun barrel may contain one cartridge and as designed the magazine may contain five cartridges"

To date no original specimans have been observed and it's questionable as to how many of these were ever manufactured. At the time the contemporary autoloaders were the Winchester 1905, 1907, and 1910 all having detachable magazines; so perhaps Layman wanted to make a Model 8 in similar fashion? If anyone has additional information or photographs of a Layman please share them with us!

For those of you who don't own John Henwood's "The Great Remington 8" I would highly recommend purchasing it. A brief overview of the Layman conversion can be found on pages 217-218.
Attachments
layman post.jpg
layman post.jpg (267.43 KiB) Viewed 317499 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Re: Layman - The Original Detachable Magazine!

Post by imfuncity »

Way-cool. Is it just me or was this before it's time - as it seems very similar to a lot of magazine "button" releases now days? (Oh wait, like on the 1911?)

LIKEY for sure!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

I know Mitch it is cool! What I wouldn't give to be able to check one of these out in person.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Must be some out there ... anyone know of one ??
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

The Layman design is so simple and straightforward that is difficult to understand why Remington never adopted it, or something like it, for the Model 8/81. After all, the Winchester autoloaders Models 05, 07, and 10 had detachable box magazines, and I would have thought Remington would have wanted to market the convenience and advantages of a detachable magazine.

I'm hard-pressed to think of another rifle that used a detachable box magazine prior to the introduction of the Winchester 05, but there probably were some somewhere. But there were many early semi-automatic handguns having that feature.
81police

Post by 81police »

All good points Dwalt.

There is a factory built detachable magazine Model 8 in the Remington Archives that used a special block fitted to the trigger plate. We know of two of these rifles, the one in the archives with a nice, lengthy magazine and one other in a private collection with a much shorter magazine. Same design, but the story on them is a mystery.

You can check out the extended magazine version in the "Gallery Page" under "Police 8 & 81". It's pretty cool.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
45guy

Post by 45guy »

DWalt, our beloved Remington produced a turnbolt rifle that utilized a detachable box mag well before the turn of the century. U.S. Army ordnance rejected the design though... You may of course recognize the designs descendants...http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listin ... 1002131393
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
caber

Post by caber »

I'm only 4 years late to the conversation, but...

I am a descendent of T.D. Layman. I have in my posession a Model 8 modified with the "detachable magazine invention" as described in the patent referenced in this thread. I also have the original patent of issue, complete with wax seal and original signature from the patent office. (Pretty cool in my book.)

The Model 8 is circa 1912. From reviewing the information on this great site (I'm so happy to have found it and many thanks to the originators for creating it), I believe it to be a "C" grade model. It looks identical to the one in "The Great Model 8" website banner, with the exception of having different sights.

In short, the story passed around the family goes like this...T.D. patented his invention, sold the patent to Browning, and Browning later integrated the invention, or some form of it, into the BAR.

By nature of the fact that there is a patent and an actual gun incorporating the improvement, we know the first part of the story (about there being a patentable invention in the first place) is true. However, I've thus far come up empty trying to establish a link between the patent and Browning (although no _real_ reason to doubt it on face value alone). As for the part about the invention or some form of it working itself into the BAR...I'm pretty skeptical on that part of the story.

Back to the gun...I was told the gun I have is a prototype. However, you wouldn't know it's anything less than a finished production model by simply looking at it. Looks like a job well done. And, I know it was used heavily across many years by T.D. himself and later by his son-in-law. As for who did the work and were there ever more than one made??? I have no information on that.

When I can find the time, I'll post some pictures. Meanwhile, I continue pursuing leads to flush out more of the history surrounding this invention and what ultimately happened to it. If anyone has any additional info related to this story or suggestions for additional leads I might pursue, I'm all ears. Thanks for reading.
81police

Post by 81police »

caber,

That is a very interesting story, thank you for sharing it! I know, like all members here, we'd love to see some photographs of the magazine conversion. What caliber is the rifle?

If you're able to email them to me, I'd be happy to post them in this thread for others to see. My address is cat9x@hotmail.com

Look forward to hearing from you :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
caber

Post by caber »

What caliber is the rifle?
35 Rem. I'll try and get you some pictures soon.
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

We're very happy that you found this great site and that you're willing to share your story and hopefully some pictures of the Layman Model 8C.

What a fantastic rifle to own, even more so with the family history. Sounds like you have a very rare & unique Model 8 that is a real keeper. A rifle that can be passed down throughout the family, as the years go by. I am excited to see some pictures.

Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
Roger

Post by Roger »

Me too!!!
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey caber,

Thanks for sharing the story. It is not often that we hear of a family members who had a role in this great rifle. I will join the others in saying that it will be great to see any pictures that you may provide.

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome aboard... love the back story, can hardly wait for the pictures.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Waayyy Cool :!:
I too look forward to photos. I happen to have one of the non-Krieger conversions as well. I like being able to take the mag out.
You may want to be careful; our ladies have a penchant for gathering sisters. It's called Jackitis :D
Phyrbird
SOKY
caber

Post by caber »

Full Rifle.
Full Rifle.
Full Rifle.JPG (38.46 KiB) Viewed 316086 times
The Patent.
The Patent.
Patent.JPG (236.45 KiB) Viewed 316086 times
Receiver Right.
Receiver Right.
Receiver Right.JPG (109.25 KiB) Viewed 316086 times
caber

Post by caber »

Receiver Right Angled.
Receiver Right Angled.
Receiver Right 2.JPG (100.56 KiB) Viewed 316086 times
Mag Well Closeup
Mag Well Closeup
Mag Well Closeup.JPG (88.34 KiB) Viewed 316086 times
2 Magazines.
2 Magazines.
Magazines Right.JPG (153.14 KiB) Viewed 316086 times
caber

Post by caber »

Receiver Left.
Receiver Left.
Receiver Left.JPG (206.03 KiB) Viewed 316086 times
Shorter Magazine Inserted.
Shorter Magazine Inserted.
Shorter Magazine Inserted 1.JPG (84.44 KiB) Viewed 316086 times
Taller Magazine Inserted.
Taller Magazine Inserted.
Taller Magazine Inserted 1.JPG (116.7 KiB) Viewed 316086 times
caber

Post by caber »

Just posted a series of pic's.

Both magazines insert fully and lock into place. The operator, must depress the pushbutton for BOTH insertion AND removal. It's not clear to me exactly why there are 2 magazines and why they are different, most notably one being stamped "35 REM AUTO" and being slightly taller than the other. Wondering if perhaps one is the factory original (was it removable at all?), perhaps modified to be removable and lockable? Can anyone shed some light on these two mag's and from where they may have originated (factory direct? aftermarket? home made???)?

Please let me know if I can answer any questions the pictures themselves do not address or if there are additional pictures you'd like to see (different parts of the gun, different angles on the mag's, etc.) and I'll do my best to accomodate.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey caber,

Thanks you for posting the pictures of the rifle and the patten. What a nice piece of history you have. The picture of the rifle shows much better detail than the drawings. Do the magazines fit snugly in the rifle? I know that on some of the Krieger's they do not always fit as tight as they should. I could never figure out why some would come out very nice and others didn't. When was the last time you put some rounds through it?

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your great piece of Remington Model 8 history. I really enjoyed seeing everything that you provided. Thank you very much!

To answer your question regarding the magazines. The shorter of the two magazines is a modified original Model 8 fixed magazine. The longer of the two magazines (35 REM-AUTO) is not a factory magazine, but a hand made magazine to accommodate the conversion. It resembles the magazine in (FIG. 17) of the T.D. Layman patent drawings.

I also enjoyed seeing the modifications to the forward/bottom edge of the trigger plate area, where the slight downward curve was added for a clean transition, to accommodate the longer hand made magazine and I also liked the modifications done to the trigger plate magazine port too.

T.D. had some great ideas & a unique vision for the detachable magazine Model 8. The prototype was implemented very well. The original patent certificate is a real treasure for you as well sir. Thank you very much for sharing the rifle with all of us here on the forum.

You have a very unique & very valuable piece of Remington Model 8 history sir! THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB

Last edited by S and S HUNTCLUB on Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Caber,
Thanks so much for posting these pics of your family heirloom. I really appreciate your efforts to share your piece of family history with us here on the forum.
I wouldn't know why Remington wouldn't have made a detachable magazine as an option on the m-8/81. They had many extras as options,so it makes no sense to me.
But I do know that money was probably at the root of it all. They were already paying JMB a royalty on every m-8 sold/built. It was already more than 2 times more expensive
than the Winchester m-1894(another JMB design) But the fact remains that as an optional feature they probably could have actually made money on the option.
Do cherish your family m-8 and thanks again for your efforts.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
caber

Post by caber »

jack1653 wrote:Do the magazines fit snugly in the rifle?
They do. I haven't noticed any play at all. Inserting and removing is all quite smooth. The only "complaint" I have with the functional design is the need to depress the magazine release during insertion. But, that may be only because I'm not used to it.
jack1653 wrote:When was the last time you put some rounds through it?
Sadly, never. This rifle likely has not had any rounds through it since the '70s or '80s. TD's son-in-law did use it actively for hunting, but he didn't do so much of that later in his life and the rifle has sat in various states of storage since.

I can't wait to get it to the range, though. It needs a thorough cleaning and inspection first. I've quickly learned that 35 Rem ammo is exceedingly difficult to come by. I was lucky enough to snag some Hornady the other day. But, it seems I'm going to have to keep my fingers crossed to be able to shoot this rifle with any frequency.

Thanks to all for sharing in my enthusiasm and for the additional information provided. It's been a great experience learning what I have thus far about this rifle's history. If I learn any additional info about it, I will definitely pass it along here. Thanks again.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

OOOOOh :!: :!: Nice one, very cool implementation of the drawings. I also see it was made from a Self Loading Rifle.
Now you must excuse me, I have to clean the drool off my keyboard again. :lol: I'm running out of distilled water. :oops:
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

What a very cool piece of history you have there. It's quite unique, and there was no shortage of labor involved in this piece. From the magazine modifications, to the entire trigger plate, and also the interior modifications (threaded magazine indicator assembly like a Krieger magazine conversion). This is one rifle to definitely cherish sir :D

Should you take it shooting please update us with a report of its function.

I noticed the buttplate was broken, this isn't too uncommon as the originals become brittle over time. Plastic reproductions are still made today and if you're lucky an original gutta percha could be found with enough watching of auction sites. If you need any help with anything regarding the rifle please let us know know!

VERY COOL! ;)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
caber

Post by caber »

At long last, I finally found the time and opportunity to take this Layman-modified to the range. After a semi-thorough take down, cleaning, and inspection of the rifle I was lucky enough to have some 35 Rem ammo on hand and put 30 shots through it.

It worked FLAWLESSLY! What a rifle. First time I ever shot it. What a fun rifle and WHAT A KICK!!! Had I imagined how brutal that kick was going to be, I would have skipped shooting those 50 rds of 00 buck through my 12 ga beforehand! I had more 35 Rem ammo available, but my sore shoulder told me it was time to quit.

Throughout my time at the range with the Model 8, I performed many magazine changes to try and exercise the removable magazine functionality a lot. Easy in, easy out. No feeding failures, no ejection failures. My only complaint in that department is that the magazine release needs to be depressed when inserting the mag as well as removing. I guess I'm just used to not having to do that on the insert with my other magazine-fed auto-loaders, so it bothered me. But, other than that I could find no obvious drawbacks or shortcomings with this design. So simple, so functional...still can't imagine why the invention seemed to begin and end with this one prototype.

All that said, I was heartbroken when stripping the rifle for a post-range cleaning to find a small piece of broken off metal come tumbling out onto the bench upon removal of the barrel. I managed to match it up to a portion of the trigger assembly. From looking at schematics, I guess it would best be described as a part of the upper trigger plate, where there are two raised pieces of metal that form two channels that the bottom of the bolt and/or rear end of the barrel must glide through.

It figures the part that breaks is on the same piece where the Layman invention is. At first glance, it looks to me like that entire trigger assembly housing is more or less one piece of metal. Hence, I don't see a way to replace/repair the broken piece without replacing the entire trigger assembly housing (and the removeable magazine functionality along with it). Anyone have thoughts/ideas/suggestions to the contrary?

Soliciting feeback on lots of related questions: Anyone know if what I'm describing is a common problem? Is the rifle still safe to shoot (i.e., how important is that little channel)? Any thoughts on what might have happened internally leading up to this failure? Can we somehow assign this to operator error? Fatigued metal? Mfr-ing flaw?

The only potential clue available is after the first 10 rds or so, there was an ever-so-slight bit of play where the barrel meets the receiver. I removed the handguard and was able to tighten the takedown screw ever-so-slightly (less than 1/8th of a turn?). After that , it stayed tight. I know it was as tight as I could get it before shooting. So, I'm wondering if/how this sudden looseness can be related to the broken off piece of metal? Could the looseness have caused the break? Or, perhaps the looseneess was a result of the break? Or, just random coincidence with no relationship? Anyone have any experience with that barrel being (or becoming) ever so slightly loose through the course of shooting?

Apologies for the long post. Just trying to do a full brain dump while it's all fresh in my head. Thanks in advance to anyone with insight/ideas.
Last edited by caber on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Caber,

The folks here could help you out very quickly to determine exactly what direction to go in order to repair your unique "prototype" Model 8 if you had several good photos to upload.
I'd recommend snapping a roll of pics, and getting them uploaded to the site for others to inspect. Then, I'd bet you would get some excellent feedback on what steps to take.

Just a thought - thanks for your time!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
caber

Post by caber »

Adam, great idea about the photos. Thank you. I'm not that great with the camera, but here's a few that give an idea of the area in trouble:
Attachments
Good side.
Good side.
Good Side - 3.png (498.58 KiB) Viewed 315120 times
caber

Post by caber »

Bad side.
Bad side.
Bad Side - 3.png (409.06 KiB) Viewed 315120 times
From front.
From front.
From Front - 3.png (225.03 KiB) Viewed 315120 times
Metal fragment.
Metal fragment.
Metal Fragment - 3.png (117.08 KiB) Viewed 315120 times
caber

Post by caber »

Hopefully the 4 photos uploaded previously do a ddecent job showing the trouble spot where one of the two "tabs" (is there an official part/function name for these areas?) has broken off. Thanks again.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

81police wrote:What a very cool piece of history you have there. It's quite unique, and there was no shortage of labor involved in this piece. From the magazine modifications, to the entire trigger plate, and also the interior modifications (threaded magazine indicator assembly like a Krieger magazine conversion). This is one rifle to definitely cherish sir :D

Should you take it shooting please update us with a report of its function.

I noticed the buttplate was broken, this isn't too uncommon as the originals become brittle over time. Plastic reproductions are still made today and if you're lucky an original gutta percha could be found with enough watching of auction sites. If you need any help with anything regarding the rifle please let us know know!

VERY COOL! ;)
Just a note: when I bought my first M81 the original buttplate came sliding out of the Redhead leather case. I was delighted!! It promptly replaced the 30s plastic recoil pad. Luckily the stock had not been modified. My point is SAVE the BROKEN pad, it likely is numbered to the rifle. A Restoration on this one of a kind could be acceptable if the original parts are kept; And no further modifications are made. Don't sand the wood to fit to a buttplate, if it's too small get one bigger. Jack, do you think your friend that modded the "carbines" would be able to silver solder or weld up a repair for this classic one of a kind? Perhaps reproduce the the trigger plate, keeping the original as is.
There could be some minor fitting issues with the bolt; there has to be a reason for the breakage.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Caber,
Good morning! I have been thinking over this story to some degree, as I had some strong feelings about your family heirloom as well as your experiences thus far in giving it some range time. Here I go.... :roll:

My recommendation? Repair the broken trigger plate “tab” from a reputable gunsmith or skilled metalsmith - or not - and then, leave it be! It should be preserved as a valuable and significant example of the history of the Remington Model 8.
All the evidence suggests that this rifle is one of an extremely small number of Layman-magazine-modified Model 8’s - and until others share information about their collections, perhaps the single Layman Model 8 that has survived in public ownership.

Now, I am a guy who likes all sorts of guns - especially the older, used variety - and enjoy actually taking them out to shoot when I can. In this case - with the unique family history component, tied with such a “one-of-a-kind” weapon - a compelling argument could be made for the gun to be preserved “as is” even without repairing the tab, or replacing the buttplate.
This is an irreplaceable weapon in American firearms history, and will never be produced again. Why take the risk of further damage to Layman’s “improvement” on John Moses Browning’s great design? Many less significant Model 8’s and 81’s exist out there readily available for flogging without harming such a treasure.

Definitely my 2 cents worth right here!

Good luck and take care - Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

I think a decent gunsmith can fix that broken tab!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
caber

Post by caber »

For those still interested in this ongoing saga...

I finally took my Layman-modified Model 8 to a reputable and knowledgeable gunsmith. He suggested it wasn't worth trying to repair the broken piece for essentially 2 reasons:

(1) He didn't see how it mattered in terms of safety and function. This made sense to me, as he noted the piece is at the very end of the bolt's forward travel. I also can't help but note the purpose it serves is served by the much less robust metal of the factory magazine in the non-Layman versions of this rifle, so I'm not convinced how critical the "channels" that are created by these "tabs" are in the first place (although, I guess they are there for a reason, eh?).

(2) More interstingly, he observed the broken piece in question showed signs of silver solder - implying the tab had broken off and been repaired before. It's intriguing to wonder, could it have broken off on shot #1 after the original modification (i.e., first test fire) and it was soldered back on, working fine until age and wear finally got the better of it when I last took it out? Or, perhaps it broke off some other time under some other circumstances. Sadly, my family history with this particular rifle offers no additional insight here. And, I guess it doesn't really matter how it happened - to simply know it broke off at least once before is enough to suggest that further attempts at repair may well not be worth it.

The 'smith also pointed out things my untrained eye had missed. For example, where the Layman modification had been mated to the factory original trigger plate. The 'smith showed me where they took a factory original plate and cut it in two a little past the midway point of the trigger guard, discarding the old forward part and fusing the newly fabricated forward part, complete with the Layman mod, back in its place. Pretty neat.

I had asked the smith what he thought it would take to fabricate a new Layman-modified trigger plate/assembly today. He was pessimistic it could be done today (at least not within anything close to a reasonable cost). Anyone else have input here? To the best of our family's knowledge, T.D. was NOT a metalsmith. So, the running assumption is he took his invention to someone who did have the equipment and experience back in the day to fabricate this new part and integrate it back into the original trigger plate/assembly so nice and neat.

Any input as to how successful one would be trying to duplicate that effort today? Is this someone someone with a good metal shop could "easily" replicate? What about the concept of using my working model as a "mold" and "casting" new replicas from it? Any thoughts?
curdog

Post by curdog »

Caber - you have a neat and interesting piece of history there.

There are workmen out here today fully capable of doing a conversion such as you have.
However, their time is valuable, so it would not be inexpensive.
Your pattern rifle itself cannot have parts cast from it, because they would end up being undersize.
A mold can be made, but it would require either an oversize master part to be fabricated,
or by completely machining the mold itself. The resulting casting is only a start, there would be
quite a bit of machining to be done as well. Not to mention magazine tooling.
They may be able to be mapped using computer equipment, but this is something with which
I am unfamiliar.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

CD,
I was just thinking the same thought, a 3D scanner could create a full 3 dimensional drawing of the entire part.While I have no experience with the hardware/software; I do know of the existence. And there are 3D printers that produce very accurate products in plastics and graphite fiber impregnated finished items. Strength and temperature issues would be of concern. However there are opportunities for investment casting to create a replica.
My brothers are heavily in JukeBox restoration, they have to do similar projects for parts no longer produced. It may be best for a one of a kind like this rifle to avoid any "repairs" to the trigger guard and fab a reproduction; keeping the original original.... Use the reproduction, keep the original as it is.
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

thanks for the update caber. It's too bad about the tab, but nevertheless you have a really cool piece of Model 8/81 history. And perhaps the only Layman conversion rifle built?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
caber

Post by caber »

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

I would LOVE someday to be able to repro the necessary parts via 3-D scanner/printer so I could shelve the originals yet keep shooting a Layman-modified M8/81 w/o any worry for the original prototype. Wouldn't need to chop up other factory original parts to try and repro either (hate the thought of any functioning rifles and/or their parts purposefully being "hacked up" and taken out of circulation w.r.t. their original intended function).

I bet we're not too far off from something like this being do-able (from both durability and affordability standpoints). What a cool idea to think about. Thanks again.
billy_56081

Post by billy_56081 »

Thank you for posting this unique and interesting model 8.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Cabe,
I agree bout the scrappers. Yeah we need parts to keep our ladies functioning, but I shudder to think how many of our rifles are/have been parted out to supply the stuff online. Wish too there was a way to 3D print spares for these fine rifles.
I'm in process of a restore on one receiver found on GB, still gotta find a few parts. Yes it will be a Franken-gun, but better than none at all.
PS it's a M8, anybody got a 35Rem BBl to trade for a 300S? I have one too many for my projects. One of them is a great candidate for a carbine project...
Phyrbird
SOKY
Draken_J35

Post by Draken_J35 »

That's pretty rad, I didn't know that detachable magazines for rifles were invented that early! Especially when you see that even during World War 2, almost everyone used clips to reload their rifles... As far as I know, the only exceptions saw limited use, like the Soviet SVT 40 and its German copy, the Gewehr 43.