The "holiest" model 81

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
cedarhillsupply

The "holiest" model 81

Post by cedarhillsupply »

Compadres,
We have all had the experience of handling a model 8 or an 81 and finding that some previous owner had it drilled and tapped for a scope. Sometimes the rifle may be otherwise desirable (like my Kreiger conversion) and we buy it anyway. Many times we pass it up. I was given Model 81 #30320 by a friend we knows I like the breed.
I hereby nominate it as the "Most Holy" 81 out there. It has a total of TWELVE (12) holes in the receiver. Six have been filled and blued over, six remain as drilled.
The glove has been tossed down.
Pete
Attachments
Rem 81 holes 1.JPG
Rem 81 holes 1.JPG (100.94 KiB) Viewed 11136 times
Sarge756

Re: The "holiest" model 81

Post by Sarge756 »

Indeed, you may have a winner. Can`t find the thread (may be older than a year) but there was one here that may have been ventilated more. Can`t recall if it was an 8 or 81. I`m sure if the OP sees this he will let us know.

Hey Cam what`s with only being able to go back a year to review posts?
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
h.charlie

Post by h.charlie »

I find these "holy relics" to be a great buy, I've been looking for a few to use as everyday shooters to raise my boys on, and let the friends learn a thing or two, one just sold for 400 on GB was surprised it got that high
Johnhalf

Post by Johnhalf »

Twelve holes!! I have nothing to compete with that Cedar.
"Holy relics"!!! :D :mrgreen: :D i love this place
"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." Jeff Cooper
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

Hey all! I think my holy Model 8 beat you by a couple holes. Get someone to tig weld like I did and get to filing! ;)

EDIT: Here's that thread viewtopic.php?t=3853
81police

Post by 81police »

This 81 shows it pays to check and double-check before drilling & tapping...
Attachments
pix1602593000.jpg
pix1602593000.jpg (23.81 KiB) Viewed 11136 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

81police wrote:This 81 shows it pays to check and double-check before drilling & tapping...
Cam, I am sorry but that side mount d&t disaster is just sad. And here I thought that I was bad when I failed to "measure twice, cut once" on my various Bob the Builder home projects!

All I can say is that I would about cry if I was responsible for that double vision example - would really be working to hide my mistake at all costs.... :roll:

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
cedarhillsupply

Post by cedarhillsupply »

Cam,
I am humbled. A mere 12 holes obviously ain't nuthin. If that were my 81, I would get on the milling machine and make a side mount plate that would use four of the holes, and cover up the rest. Then I'd epoxy the mount to the gun and put it on Gunbroker as "rare factory scope mount included".

Pete
h.charlie

Post by h.charlie »

How do you guys fill the holes? My thought for these holy relics was to weld and then cerakote but that's just cause I want to pick up dead rifle and put a new life in it, is there a way to weld and then blue it without seeing where the holes were?
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

h.charlie wrote:How do you guys fill the holes? My thought for these holy relics was to weld and then cerakote but that's just cause I want to pick up dead rifle and put a new life in it, is there a way to weld and then blue it without seeing where the holes were?
Charlie,

If you follow the link to the other thread I posted about (is it already that I did that here??), you'll see the results of welding and bluing. No, it's certainly not perfect and certainly not invisible but it's a darn sight better than it was.

Cerakote is a great idea and would certainly be invisible but I love that old lovingly worn finish on guns of this vintage. With that said, a matte black finish wouldn't look bad on one of these old beauties. Kinda bada$$ actually, I would think.
h.charlie

Post by h.charlie »

I like the old bluing as well, my 25 rem although being re-done is going to stay true to factory to the best I can do, but for my shooters I would like to take a discarded piece of swiss and get her running, then take off the old sights and add a double post rear sight at the back end of the receiver, add a vent rib to the top of the barrel sleeve with interchangeable front sights cerakote satin black, then add fine engraving to let the shiny steel show, but that's a project later down the line, the only reason I want a vent rib is to shoot 20 to 40 yards as fast as I can aquire targets the double post will be short and the space between as wide as the rib, 2 liter won't be able to hide from me