30-30 conversion

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
h.charlie

30-30 conversion

Post by h.charlie »

I've been turning a lot of 30-30 into 25 rem, but I had a few question, how do I keep the heat down, I noticed when turning the case some would start to discolor from shiny brass to a brown color I doubt it annealed but it looked like it was about too, it would also only turn this color up to the sizing ring (the mark left by the sizing die)I was going to get some templac to make sure I'm not getting to hot, I'm also using cutting oil applied with a chip brush any other trick I'm missing, even thought about throwing get the cases in the freezer haha
Phyrbird

Re: 30-30 conversion

Post by Phyrbird »

You might try a laser thermometer, They have them fairly cheap at Harbor Freight. Check accuracy against boiling water and ice. The temps are pretty consistent. Non contact too.
Make sure there are no heat sources around when testing, IR reflects too.
I don't know the exact degrees F to anneal brass cases, could someone else chime in?
Phyrbird
SOKY
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

The change from shiny to the brown color may be cause for concern . I assume this is occurring as you are turning the rim down or cutting the extractor groove. Anytime the base or sidewalls of the case are heated care must be taken not to overheat them. The change in grain structure of the metal begins to occur at around 480 Degs.F. This is about 200 Degs. less than when annealing occurs. Advice from Phyrbird about the laser thermometer may be way to go to check the temperature. Below 400 would be what I would be looking for giving some leeway to the accuracy of the thermometer and erring toward safety. Hope this helps.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
h.charlie

Post by h.charlie »

I've been looking for a excuse to buy a non contact thermometer, after cutting I can pick the case up with my hands so I doubt it's getting 400+ but then again Im not familiar with how fast brass dissipates heat, I also did some research to the oil I'm using and the flash temp is at 410 degrees and I have not noticed smoke from it yet. But I think it is worth the 30 to 40 bucks to be safe and check the temp and know for a fact it's safe thanks for idea I wouldn't have thought of it.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

h.charlie wrote:I've been looking for a excuse to buy a non contact thermometer, after cutting I can pick the case up with my hands so I doubt it's getting 400+ but then again Im not familiar with how fast brass dissipates heat, I also did some research to the oil I'm using and the flash temp is at 410 degrees and I have not noticed smoke from it yet. But I think it is worth the 30 to 40 bucks to be safe and check the temp and know for a fact it's safe thanks for idea I wouldn't have thought of it.

I agree that you are probably not reaching 400 .The flash point on the oil and no smoking seems like a good indicator.My next stop at HF I`m picking up one of those thermometers Phrybird suggested. Thought of another use that will be my excuse to get one. Doing load development for some of my varmit and long range rifles I believe it would be useful to determine consistency of barrel temperature when shooting a string of rounds.
Would think it would be more informative than testing with a bare hand before taking the next shot. :D Thanks Phrybird, I hold to the theory that" a man can never have too many tools".

Joe
h.charlie

Post by h.charlie »

haha I need to change the thread to non contact thermometer uses, that's another good idea, I'll have to steal since I also started to develop a load for my 270 win using the new imr 4451, and accubond long range bullets test how insensitive to temperature change it really is
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Stopped at HF today ...my new laser non contact thermometer in hand :D :D . Will test it tomorrow at the range with some loads worked up for a 25-06 and 22-250.
Joe
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Ain't no thang :lol:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Well....first attempt with taking barrel temps with the new toy not successful . Was getting readings around 104 degrees after a string of 3 rounds. NOT! I couldn`t keep my hand on the barrel longer than a nano second . Men don`t do well with reading instructions and I am among them. Decided I better read them and sure enough found the reason for the obvious incorrect temp. This instrument will not read shiny reflective surfaces. Both the rifles I was shooting have high polish blued barrels. Solution for next trip will be bringing along a can of flat black spray paint to coat a section or two of the barrel and see if that will yield results. Can always remove the paint with a little acetone afterward. Don`t know what could be done with shiny cartridge cases though.
Joe
TRX

Post by TRX »

What kind of feed rate are you using?

I turned bags of .38 Special into 9mm Largo back in the day. I used a flat-topped form tool, ground so I came in from the side to turn the rim off, moved the carriage toward the headstock a bit, then came in for the extractor groove.

Since the extractor groove was narrower than the rim, the plunge cut left a thin flange standing. When I moved the carriage it took that off.

I don't remember any of the cases even getting warm to the touch, much less hot. The flat-top tool wasn't ideal for cutting brass, but it worked OK; the limit of speed was my iffy grip with the collet.

Sarco had some .30-30 takeoff barrels for cheap a while back. I thought the chambered end would be great for holding a .30-30 case while machining. Shipping would have brought the price over $50, so it's waiting until I need to order something else.