Great Model 8 MEET & GREET!!!

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
81police

Great Model 8 MEET & GREET!!!

Post by 81police »

Here is your opportunity to meet the one, the only, Mr. "jackitis"...namely Jack1653 himself. Haha

OK all kidding aside, Jack1653 and myself will be attending the Wanenmacher's Arms Show in Tulsa, Oklahoma on April 11th and 12th. I believe at least one other forum member Rem8&81 may be attending as well. We plan to get together for dinner Saturday night. This is the world's largest gun show and not to disappoint.

If you'd like to know more about the show please visit http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com

If anyone is interested in attending we'd love to meet y'all!...well I know I will, Jack1653 will probably be running rampant throughout the show rummaging for the best 8/81 deal ;) :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hardrada55

Re: Great Model 8 MEET & GREET!!!

Post by Hardrada55 »

I'll be there, where ever it is we meet...
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
curdog

Post by curdog »

I plan on being there. I'll stop by - are you guys going to be on the lower level at the south end like usual?

Tell Jack all the best deals were at the last show.......
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I will have more to say about this in the days to come. I am really looking forward to meeting some forum buddies, exchanging some stories and having a good time.

Regards,

jack1653
Roger

Post by Roger »

My plan is to be there also. My son's are planing on taking me there for my 60th birthday party!! I've wanted to go to this show for thirty plus years. We've had plans to go before,but being self employed, it has just never worked out. It may not work out this time either,but I'm looking forward to it just the same. Now I'll be looking forward to meeting some fellow forum members too.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Roger

Post by Roger »

I just booked our rooms today. One step closer for me.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

What? there are rooms still available?!?!

Yup, I have resurface, Jack woke me up with an email regarding "the gathering"... borrowed a confuser to see what's what.

I'll likely not make it but indeed this show is still on my bucket list and you guys being there... now that is a temptation fur-sur!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

I am thinking of going would be nice to see some of the members ,hope to see y'all there

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
sting75ray

Post by sting75ray »

It is a great show. You will not be disappointed. I have a Vette show that same weekend in Enid. Might have to slip on over to Tulsa.
81police

Post by 81police »

If anyone would like to contact Jack or I during the show...or maybe have dinner that Saturday night, my email is listed below if you'd like to exchange mobile/cell numbers...

Jack and I hope to see some of y'all there!

cat9x@hotmail.com
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Howdy,

If you want to contact me about meeting in Tulsa, my email is jack1653@att.net. If you need my cell phone number, just send me an email.

I am working on getting us a room for Saturday evening. I hope to have some information by next weekend. I have been told there are great restaurants but getting a reservation during the gun show is almost impossible. I am trying to get us a place that will accommodate us and let us order off of the main menu.

I am open for suggestions, just send me an email.

Regards,

jack1653
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

For those of you who are planning on attending the Tulsa Gun Show I want to give an update on the dining arrangements for Saturday evening. There are NO arrangements or reservations for the evening. :o I tried several places including where we are staying and have ran into one brick wall after another and do not want to continue the effort.

What 81police and I are suggesting is for those of you who may be interested in having a dinner with us is to give us a call on that Saturday and we can share where we will be dining. I guess the Gun Show has really booked everything in the Tulsa area and reservations are not being taken in many of the restaurants. We plan on picking a place and then just going and wait to be seated. :o

I did not feel comfortable in reserving a banquet room in any of the establishments because I could not give an accurate count as to how many would want such an arrangement and did not feel it would be appropriate for me to pick a menu for such a diverse group. There is also the additional charges for reserving a banquet room and the additional charge for the "service" required. I just did not feel comfortable in making such a reservation and asking for a fee from everyone attending to cover the charges. I trust that you will understand. ;)

I have suggested to 81police that we could meet at the Crown Plaza after dinner and just mill around the lounge and have a social. I am sure there would be a bar for those who may want a cocktail and everyone would be welcome to attend.

If things should change, check back here to get an update. If anyone has any suggestions for this dilemma, please feel free to make a post or send me an email.

The ole "jackitis" simply could not put this together as I had hoped. :cry: :cry: Too bad it wasn't a rifle because it would have been a slam dunk. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Jack,
Thanks so much for trying to put this together for those members who'll be attending the Tulsa gunshow,like me. I'll call you guys first thing friday night when we drive in to Tulsa. Maybe we can work out a meeting somewhere either friday or Saturday night. Heck, I'm sure my 2 sons who are bringing me there probably would be good with delivery pizza just to someone's hotel lobby or room. If nothing else,we can hook up at the show. Thanks again for your work on this.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Well fellas, the show is nearly approaching! Again if anybody would like to meet up Saturday evening, either after dinner or during, please email either Jack or myself and we can exchange cell phone numbers. We really look forward to seeing some of y'all!

Cam - cat9x@hotmail.com

Jack - jack1653@att.net
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hairtrigger

Post by Hairtrigger »

I found myself working in TN this week
Any others going to the NRA exhibits?
gwg35

Post by gwg35 »

Well I will not be able to make it, but I am going to a gun show here in Michigan Friday it is not Tulsa but it should be fun !!!! :lol:
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,
Whoever gets together at the Tulsa show from the forum here - make sure to take pics & post here! Fun to see what all everyone's up to and such. Won't be there but wish I could be! Plus, what a great way it would've been to spend my birthday at the Tulsa show! (April 11th)
take care
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Cam,
I'll text or call when we get to our hotel friday night. Hope to see you guys this weekend. I'm starting to get excited now. I have a long want list,but I know sometimes it's like chasing a ghost.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Was a real pleasure meeting Roger! Jack and I pictured here as Roger shows off one of the few Model 8's Jack didn't snatch, haha. Jackitis is running amock
Attachments
MG950473.jpg
MG950473.jpg (92.48 KiB) Viewed 25557 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey fellas,.
My first trip to the Tulsa Gunshow,was certainly an eye opening experience for me. I picked up 2 quality pieces today. One is pictured in the picture with Cameron,Jack, and I. It's a 25 rem. Model 8 with the top tang rifle buttplate, which is similar to the standard Winchester rifle crescent buttplate. This is a really rare option on the model 8. The normal steel rifle buttplate from rem. M-8 s is obviously the bottom tang version. That buttplate is the main reason that I bought the rifle from the Ramseys.
The other rifle I purchased ,was a Winchester model 1894 SRC in 32/40 wcf. I've reloaded this caliber for a long time,for my other 3 -32/40 Winchester. This is another of JMB venerable designs,which I've been collecting for 30 plus years.
It was a real pleasure to finally meet Jack and Cameron in person. I think we all feel like we know each other from our contact via this forum,but it's so much more fun to meet in person. I was also lucky enough to have Jack introduce me to the Creamer brothers,Corey and Brian. I have purchased items from them and connected with them both thru email, but was glad to finally meet them in person. Their father has also connected with me by email in the past, but he couldn't make this trip because he was too busy with work,so I didn't get to meet Bob yet. Maybe next time.
All in all, it was a great day. I would suggest this guns how trip to anyone interested in collectable firearms. Put it on your list for sure. I was in awe for most of the day.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Jack, Roger, and Cam - cool deal! Glad to see some of us getting together at a big gun show event!

Wish I had the chance to do so - maybe in the future. For myself, I was just happy to visit a small local show yesterday and score a green box of .300 Savage Core-Lokt PSP's from a vendor.
(Also made it to the NRA museum gift shop and bought a copy of Henwood's Model 8 book too - how cool is that? Bought it at the NRA headquarter's store!)

Show some pics of those guns you got, Roger!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
ranman

Post by ranman »

Awsome picture, looks like three kids in a candy store. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Gee wish I could have been there :mrgreen: :cry:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

I so wanted to be there...maybe next October?
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
81police

Post by 81police »

Roger's 25Rem really is a nice rifle, especially considering the limited number of 8's and 81's at the show. We literally scoured the entire show and aside from the Creamer family's table, I recall about 10 Model 8's and/or 81's. Quite a few of those were 81's in 300Sav, one of which was nearly mint but was priced around $1,000.

Biggest surprise of the show, one glossy reblued Model 8, with Stith mounted scope, and amateur carved stock was priced at $2,000!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

Here's Jack and I with a true Model 8 & 81 expert, Corey Creamer.

Check out the Model 8 in front of us that's nearly void of blueing...it's a custom 16" carbine done by a gentleman named Mike Rowe. I took the forearm off and if someone told me the job wasn't factory I couldn't tell, it was that good. More details on this gentleman soon ;)
Attachments
MG_0478.jpg
MG_0478.jpg (80.29 KiB) Viewed 25556 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

November 14-15
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

WOW :!: :!: What a trip. My head feels like a windshield wiper in the fast position. I never spent so much time looking from side to side in all my life. My feet are killing me and for a guy just coming off back surgery, I sure gave it a good workout.

When they say it is the largest gun show in the world I have to believe them. Looking for the 8 & 81's with Cameron was an adventure. His radar for these rifles is amazing. I swear he could sense them before I could ever see them.

I was able to get 4 hours in on Friday before the show officially opened so I was able to spot some before the masses hit on Saturday. Some of those guys were real proud of their Remington's based on the asking prices. I had the luck of being able to get some leads from Brian and Corey Creamer who had scouted the floor before I got there.

Meeting people who I had talked with on the phone and emailed over the years was a real rewarding time. It was great to have dinner with some of the guys on Saturday evening. We ate at Osaka's and I had some really good sushi. That meal made the trip worthwhile. I knew I was in trouble when the hostess gave me the menu with no prices but what the heck you only go around once.

I know some of you are wondering if I got through the show without a bout of "jackitis". Well I am happy to say that I didn't ;) I did walk by one with the intention of going back and getting it later but Roger grabbed it. It is the one in the picture. He did really good in beating me to it. Cameron took some pictures of those that attached themselves to me and maybe he can post some pictures for me. If not, I will try and get them to him for posting.

Just to wet your appetite, I now have a "bakers dozen" of the FN's. I added two grade C model 8's pistol grips. A grade D model 8 just begged me to join the group so what could I do but take it also. Another gentleman said he didn't want to haul his model 8 back home and made me an offer I could not refuse. It was late in the day and I just couldn't walk much farther so I gave in and bought it. I was tempted to get a couple more beaters for parts rifles but figured six was enough to satisfy the current bout of jackitis. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the Model 81-D grade. What an exquisite rifle.

It was a great outing and was glad to share it with Cameron and my nephew. I wish more of you could have attended the show. Maybe we can all try on another show sometime.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
curdog

Post by curdog »

I'm still worn out from the weekend - it turned out to be quite an adventure, and enjoyable meeting some of the guys.

Thanks for the kind comments about the carbine - if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing right. I can't wait to get a pig with it....
81police

Post by 81police »

Here's a sampling of the results of an extreme case of Jackitis. I didn't get photos of all Jack's finds, but here's a few,

one of 10-12 known Model 81-D grades...

a really nice three digit serial number (9XX) FN 1900...

a Model 8-C with a gorgeous stock...
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Wow, what beauties!

One day, maybe I'll make it out that far.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey fellas,
I've been buried with our work load since returning from the Tulsa show. But I did get to the range with my new rifles, and they both shoot lights out. The model 8-25 rem. put one of my loadings all in one hole with 5 shots. It was
Winchester 760 and Speer 120 gr. PSP bullets. It shot 2 other loadings w/Hornady 117 RN almost as well. I use Win. 760 exclusively in my 25 rem. loadngs now. It seems to work well with this caliber,at least in my 4 --25 rem. M-8 s.
I feel very fortunate to have had the chance to buy this rifle. It's in excellent condition. I hope to get some pics posted of it when i get some time. My Win. 1894 --32/40 wcf SRC purchased at Tulsa also shoots well for a 121 year old rifle. It appears to be a ranch or law enforcement saddle gun. It's well used,but any 32/40 SRC is a collectors prize. It really is the most rare SRC caliber. Most 32/40s are the rifle version. Sorry,I forgot that this is a Remington m-8/81 forum.
It's at least a JMB design.It's a 4 digit serial #.First month production.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com