School Me On My Model 8

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Rebel

School Me On My Model 8

Post by Rebel »

So I would like to know as much about this piece as possible, everything except the value (don't plan on selling). I would also like to know about any good literature on the Model 8.

Phyrbird

Re: School Me On My Model 8

Post by Phyrbird »

Some good info on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4014

I would also suggest Ken Waters' Pet Loads book, one of the few articles on the Remington calibers reloading. A classic on others too.
Phyrbird
SOKY
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

The "30-30 Rem" marking is reason enough to own it.
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

Phyrbird wrote: I would also suggest Ken Waters' Pet Loads book, one of the few articles on the Remington calibers reloading.
I have an earlier edition of Waters' Pet Loads in the loose leaf binder. I've noted the .30 Rem. and .35 Rem. data in mine. Does yours have anything on the .25 and .32?
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Mine is the 8th ed. It has 25 Rem, 30Rem, 35Rem, & 300 Sav articles written by Ken Waters.
They are very detailed discussions of loads and issues for each cartridge. Very thorough.
I;ll have to get back to you on the 32Rem, It's a little more obscure.
Phyrbird
SOKY
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

Phyrbird wrote:Mine is the 8th ed. It has 25 Rem, 30Rem, 35Rem, & 300 Sav articles written by Ken Waters.
They are very detailed discussions of loads and issues for each cartridge. Very thorough.
I;ll have to get back to you on the 32Rem, It's a little more obscure.
Thanks, mine is 2nd edition.
Good to know where to find that info if & when I need it.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

::EDIT:: I just saw the post about loads for the Model 8. I will post this question in there.

I hate to ask as I plan on buying Pet Loads and The Great Remington 8 next payday, but I'm currently traveling for work and I've found a local gun shop that has a good supply of Alliant, Hodgdon, and IMR powders. This is not a common sight back home.

What powders are good for reloading .30 Remington? I just received my first press (An RCBS Partner) from a very generous friend, and .30 Remington is one of the first cartridges I plan on reloading.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I'm partial to IMR 3031.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
Most reliable sources/manuals say that the reloading data for the Winchester lever calibers will work OK with the remington auto calibers. For example 30/30 wcf =30 remington; 25/35wcf=25remington; 32 win.spec.=32 remington.
I have used these reload formulas successfully when loading for target and deer hunting loads for my rem.8/81s.
Some older mod.8s barrels seem to like a little slower burning powders ( win.760,I Mr 4064,and leverevolution powder) You'll need to experiment with your rifles to know what works best for you. As always,start low and work your way up slowly and carefully. John Henwood wrote that in his opinion, that bullet weight had more to do with proper function of the 8/81s than powder weight. I can't confirm or deny any of that. I've tested and reloaded quite extensively with my rem.8/81s. I've developed loads that shoot well in my rifles for me. Some even all in one hole at 50 yds. I don't believe that the 35 calibers are the same. In other words 35wcf doesn't transfer to 35 remington. But there is plenty of published data for 35 remington.
Good luck,be safe,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

While I had the rifle disassembled to figure out an issue with the barrel sticking, I found a number on the barrel.

Y 3 7 is stamped on the barrel toward the breach. Any info on that?
81police

Post by 81police »

Remington frequently stamped barrels with markings that we simply just don't know what they represented. John Henwood mentions them in the Great 8 book on p. 82-83. Y37 is mentioned along with many other markings (Y19, Y36, Y313, Y45, Y21, etc.). I would imagine they were some sort of inspection / approval stamp, but we don't know for sure.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator