Add Firing Pin Springs to 1911-vintage Model-8..?

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
xtimberman

Add Firing Pin Springs to 1911-vintage Model-8..?

Post by xtimberman »

I'm trying to get my recently-acquired Model-8 up and shooting. Everything seems to be in order - except the tip of the original firing pin has broken off. Both Numrich and Wisner's have Model-8 firing pins in stock...so I assume that they will work in my ~22,000 SN Model-8. Is there a another, better source for the part I need?

Also, I've noted that later production models had both a buffer spring and a firing pin spring. Should I plan on acquiring and installing these two springs with the replacement firing pin as a "safety" upgrade? My forum search did not turn up a definitive answer.

Thanks,
John (xtm)
jack1653

Re: Add Firing Pin Springs to 1911-vintage Model-8..?

Post by jack1653 »

Hey John,

They are very reliable and the model 8 will accept any of the firing pins from that period.

Regards,

jack1653
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

Thanks.

Should I add the two springs (for later models) when I install the new firing pin? The rifle doesn't have any firing pin springs installed right now.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

The early models did not have springs and were configured a little different from the later models which had springs. Personally, I would stay with the firing pin of the period.

jack1653