my new 8

Posts about the Model 8
uhjohnson

my new 8

Post by uhjohnson »

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =470996193

Did i pay too much and what does anyone see wrong with it other than the split in the forearm

Thanks
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
Hardrada55

Re: my new 8

Post by Hardrada55 »

I was skeptical at first glance, but the more I looked at the pictures, the more I believe that the metal on your gun is all original finish. At least the pictures look right to me. I don't see any glaring "errors". I appears to be the right color. Wow, 1917! My only concern is the color of the wood. Is it really as blond as it looks in the pictures? Or does the lighting have something to do with it? Anyway, I've never seen wood as light as that on a Model 8 before. May just be the photos.

Did you pay too much? Down at the pawn shop the other day I saw a Model 8 down on the bottom row, back in the corner. I asked to see it and the guy pulled it out. Someone had figured out how to put a Model 81's flat-side forearm on it, it had been badly reblued at some time in the past and there were extra holes in the left side of the receiver. $850.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Hairtrigger

Post by Hairtrigger »

I was thinking the same about the wood.....
Looks like a very well preserved rifle!
Enjoy the 32!!!
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Congrats man. I saw that auction too. When you get the rifle you can tell us first-hand what you think of the stock.
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

Have the ears been removed or did remington stop putting them on rifles by this year
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Hello sir, I just replied to your email question. I think you have purchased a unique piece of Remington history. The steel shotgun style butt plate is a rarity with any Model 8. I also feel that the omission of the cheeks during production of late 1916 through 1918 Model 8's was a common practice on the "free option" pistol grip stocks. This combination of the pistol grip stock, the steel shotgun butt plate and the 32 REM caliber is a rarity! The unique Blonde walnut is nice to see as well. Just like anything blonde in color, it'll be easier to find in the dark. :)
Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

UHJ,
A very clean rifle, my compliments. :)
They are right the steel buttplate is rare, almost as rare as the "S" curve plate. :geek:
The crack in the forearm can be repaired. I've used epoxy with good results in the past. One thing the wood in the crack should be as clean as you can get it. I've used rubbing alcohol to help remove the gun oils from these areas. Be careful, too long a soak with alcohol can blonde out the stain too. A hard part is making the wood cauls for clamping to close the crack. they need to fit Good with a little gap to squeeze with. Warning :!: :!: Get no epoxy in the cauls, they don't come loose. Don't glue on the barrel jacket.
Also pay attention to the fit of the wood after glue-up. (on the barrel jacket). If it's too tight it could be the reason it cracked in the first place.
Phyrbird
SOKY