Model 81 Krieger Conversion .300 Savage

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
Mastermaul

Model 81 Krieger Conversion .300 Savage

Post by Mastermaul »

Hi, this is my first Remington autoloader. It's a Model 81 Woodsmaster in .300 Savage, serial number in the 51xxx range. I'm by no means an expert on these rifles, and have gathered most of my information from this very helpful website.

I bought this rifle from a gun store in Michigan, and do not know who the previous real owner was, but he seemed to care very much for this rifle, as it has been extensively customized. The most noticeable feature, which was not actually noted at all in the classified ad for this rifle (I told the gun store owners and they didn't even realize), is what I believe to be a Krieger converted removable magazine. There's more: the action has been jeweled (doesn't show up that well in the photo), though it's lost a bit of its luster. The wood seems to have been refinished. The checkering, from what I understand, is not factory, but I really love the pattern. A recoil pad has been added to the stock. I'm not sure if it's factory, but sling swivels have been installed.

All of this seems to have fooled the store that sold me the rifle into thinking that it was actually a Grade B rifle, but it is not marked as such. Frankly, I don't think they bothered to do any real research, having failed to notice one of the more desirable features.

I've yet to shoot it, but i've already purchased 40 rounds of .300 Savage from Cabela's ($70!). I hoping to get into hunting for the first time in my life and take this rifle with me. I'll probably be buying a M1907 sling for it.

I took a bit of a flashy photo in the snow, but if anyone's interested in closeups on anything in specific, let me know.
Attachments
Model81Snow.jpg
Model81Snow.jpg (499.32 KiB) Viewed 15724 times
Phyrbird

Re: Model 81 Krieger Conversion .300 Savage

Post by Phyrbird »

OOOOOO :!: :!:

More PICs :!: :!:

Pretty Lady
Phyrbird
SOKY
Mastermaul

Post by Mastermaul »

I'm sorry, I sort of forgot that I made this thread in the first place! Is there anything in particular you wanted pictures of? I recently put a new M1907-pattern sling on it. Might look a bit too shiny for the rifle right now, but hopefully that changes with use.
Attachments
SlingM81.jpg
SlingM81.jpg (588.8 KiB) Viewed 15627 times
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

More pics of the jeweling and the checkering please.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Mastermaul

Post by Mastermaul »

I'm not able to get a terribly good shot of the jeweling where I am at the moment, as it's mostly dependent on lighting. It is a bit faded in places. I have no idea when any of this work was done. I tried to do my best.

I took photos of the side of the receiver with the magazine removed (the jeweling shows up fairly well there), the jeweling, and the checkering on the underside of the foreend.

The checkering is diamond patterned. I took a shot of the negative space pattern surrounding the foreend screw. It looks like some rough handling with a screwdriver might have removed some of the wood on the edge of the hole and made it look a bit uneven.

It's my understanding that, reading the information on this website, my rifle is missing the safety over-travel stop screw common in Krieger rifles? Does that make this an early conversion? Also, is the magazine capacity one round lesser on Krieger rifles? I've seen footage of unmodified Model 81s in .300 Savage being fired five times before running dry, but I can only fit four rounds in the magazine. I suppose the nature of the conversion still lets you top it off, however.
Attachments
M81Jeweling.jpg
M81Jeweling.jpg (209.69 KiB) Viewed 15595 times
M81Checkering.jpg
M81Checkering.jpg (267.27 KiB) Viewed 15595 times
M81MagazineRemoved.jpg
M81MagazineRemoved.jpg (285.85 KiB) Viewed 15595 times
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Congratulations on finding a nice hunting rifle. My model 81 Krieger .300 SAV. is one of my favorite hunting rifles.
Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Those are some wonderful aftermarket modifications. I like the checkering, especially on the pistol grip and I've never seen one of these with a jeweled bolt. A recoil pad for. 300 Savage is a must.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Those are some wonderful aftermarket modifications. I like the checkering, especially on the pistol grip and I've never seen one of these with a jeweled bolt. A recoil pad for. 300 Savage is a must.
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Recoil pads are for today's "man." :lol:

I used to shoot a lot of Mauser matches and there is nothing like sustained firing of the 7.92 x 57 mm projectile from the prone position to make one want a cushion on one's shoulder.

However, I tend to think all rifles need steel buttplates, iron sights, and bayonet lugs. Just in case. :mrgreen:

I saw that add on armslist (linked by a member here) but didn't fancy a 14 hour 1 way drive to MI for it. Glad you did. 8-)
81police

Post by 81police »

Rigged for hunting! I think the way your rifle is setup is probably the best possible combination any M8/81 can be configured for field use (sling, detachable mag, great checkering). NICE :mrgreen:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Mastermaul

Post by Mastermaul »

Finally got around to shooting it for the first time. I know, waited far too long.

It stovepiped once, but the biggest concern is that the bolt doesn't hold open on the final round as I believe it's supposed to. Is this due to the magazine conversion?
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Mastermaul wrote:Finally got around to shooting it for the first time. I know, waited far too long.

It stovepiped once, but the biggest concern is that the bolt doesn't hold open on the final round as I believe it's supposed to. Is this due to the magazine conversion?
Mastermaul,

it's been a few months since you asked your question and I recently joined the Krieger club - although, without a magazine. Wondered if others had answered your question about the bolt not staying open after the last shot. I can't answer that from experience (yet) but it would seem logical to make the conclusion it has to do with the modified magazine, as you said.

Also, did you figure out why it stovepiped? Was it the ammo, or maybe the springs in the rifle being involved in some way?

have fun shooting!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

With Krieger conversions, the bolt should lock back on the last round
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Mastermaul

Post by Mastermaul »

81police wrote:With Krieger conversions, the bolt should lock back on the last round
Is it possible my rifle is not a Krieger then?
81police

Post by 81police »

it looks like a Krieger to me Mastermaul
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I have a (not) Kreiger conv, it locks back on empty. The mag removes the same way; button works opposite. It might be an early Kreiger or a prototype, no documentation.
Check the magazine follower. Is the little tab (center) sticking up in the back?
Is the leaf spring on the mag indicator assy in the slot in the side of the receiver? I had one mis-assembled with the tab of the spring riding in the receiver slide area for the bolt. Corrected and it worked fine
Mag spring could be broke causing the follower to not have enough lift.

By the way: a very Pretty Lady :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Phyrbird
SOKY