Model 8 - No Rules

Posts about the Model 8
biped

Model 8 - No Rules

Post by biped »

I just purchased s/n 11921 manufactured in1908. It's 30 Remington. Seller says he's been told plastic buttplate is not standard on Mod #8, nor is straight forearm as they are schanable (sp?) forearms and that it must belong to an #81. This is an early model that was made before they decided to name it a model 8 and I've seen plenty of examples that have straight forearms. I have not taken delivery but suspect that the #81 parts may actually be #8 parts as there were no rules in early production rifles. Anybody got an original model#8 with a unidentified plastic buttstock? bruce davis
81police

Re: Model 8 - No Rules

Post by 81police »

Welcome to the forum Bruce,

I've seen the pictures of your rifle on gunbroker. The barrel assembly (including forearm) are from a Model 81. This is apparent because of the patent roll stamping on the barrel shroud which are Model 81. Now there's a chance the barrel itself is original, but the shroud and forearm are definitely Model 81. Model 8's did come with hard rubber (gutta percha) buttplates like the reproduction pictured in the auction below. If the buttplate pictured on your rifle is plastic/rubber it is not original.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REMINGTON-MODEL-8-C ... 0473985609
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
biped

Post by biped »

My Model 8 is in my hands at last. Wood is not original, nor buttplate , nor barrel shroud and perhaps barrel. Wood finish and reblue best I've seen. Rifle shoots to point of aim with 3 inch groups @ 100 yds. Only glitch so far is that the barrel follows the action back when manually cocking after dry firing. Barrel snaps forward as bolt travel nears end of run. Rifle runs without complaint but thought unlocking of barrel from bolt should happen sooner, not later. It's 30 Remington and manufactured 1908. Lub and shooting going to make this better?
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

Welcome to Long Recoil actions. The barrel will travel all the way back until the bolt reaches the end of rearward movent, as described, the bolt and barrel separate.
War Eagle!
biped

Post by biped »

So far, I've had a great time with this rifle. I did learn that loading the 5th round in the magazine will stick the follower to the floor of the magazine. I have a gunsmith friend that thinks he can fix that. Rifle, for me, does not group really well on paper @ 100', but about as good as you'd expect from a 30-30 lever action. We have a range that's made up of steel plates on hangers. This old Model 8 will hit those plates out to 150 yds. I have not tried further shots. I'm really happy with this rifle.
biped

Post by biped »

Got the magazine fixed for $42.50. Holds 5 now and cycles every time. I guess we all hear of people giving testimonials to fine accuracy and wonder if they are being straight up. Well, it's not bragging to hit 8 inch steel plated at 100 yds and I'm telling you that it's hard to miss those plates with rifle at distance.