.35 Remington Stripper Clips

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
bigskybound

.35 Remington Stripper Clips

Post by bigskybound »

I know these things are scarce and pricey. Can a more readily available and less expensive stripper clip be modified to work in a MOdel 8 .35 Remington? :?:
jack1653

Re: .35 Remington Stripper Clips

Post by jack1653 »

Hey,

Check the topic "charger clips" in the Great Model 81 Woodsmater section. There is a couple of suggestions there.

jack1653
bigskybound

Post by bigskybound »

OK, so I paid a pretty penny for a vintage stripper clip to go with my Model 8 in .35 Rem. Got it today and the little tabs on the side are too wide to slip down into the chamber. :shock: It is marked on one end:

.35 CAL.
.300 SAV.

Is this a Remington product or some aftermarket job? Also, is this a common problem? I am hesitant to start filing on a pricey piece of steel and then find it still won't work and I cannot resell it. :oops:
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Bigsky....

I am pretty sure you got after market stripper clips. The originals are brass and there is no alteration necessary. If you can send a PM to 2verpsters, he can answer your question about filing the clip.

I have bought one or two clips that were after market and mine worked fine. I think there are some people trying to take advantage of the shortage of stripper clips and are trying to modify clips from other rifles and stamping them with the caliber. Pretty easy to do if you can make a stamp. Good Luck

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

There are several variations of 8/81 stripper clips. Your clip sounds like it was made for a Model 81 (being marked .300Sav), but I have never seen any fake copies made with the proper caliber markings...at least not yet. Sometimes clips from Model 30's can be mistaken for 8/81 clips, I believe Pete has some experience with this. Here's an image of a steel M81 stripper clip.

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

Good Lord, don't go grinding on those clips!!! :shock:

The ears are stops so you don't push the clip in too far. The rounds should be pushed into the magazine, stripping them off the clip. The clip is just to hold them together for easier (?) loading.
War Eagle!
bigskybound

Post by bigskybound »

81police wrote:There are several variations of 8/81 stripper clips. Your clip sounds like it was made for a Model 81 (being marked .300Sav), but I have never seen any fake copies made with the proper caliber markings...at least not yet. Sometimes clips from Model 30's can be mistaken for 8/81 clips, I believe Pete has some experience with this. Here's an image of a steel M81 stripper clip.

Yep! That's the critter alright. The tabs do not allow the clip to seat at rear of magazine as it should. I will send it back to seller or maybe one of you Model 81 guys wants it? I picked up a couple of cheap 03 Springfield stripper clips that can be easily made to work in the Model 8.
81police

Post by 81police »

You might check your rifle then, if you have what is pictured you have an authentic M81 stripper clip. They aren't always easy to use but they do work.

I need to make a page and instructional video for these things to help members identify.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
bigskybound

Post by bigskybound »

81police:
The tabs on the clip will not fit through the notched guide in top of receiver. When the clip stops at the tabs, there is about 1/2 inch between it and the top of the magazine. This allows the clip to pivot as if on a gimbal, making it next to impossible to neatly charge the magazine.
81police

Post by 81police »

This allows the clip to pivot as if on a gimbal, making it next to impossible to neatly charge the magazine.
The clip's tabs should stop at the receiver's stripper clip guides not go inside the receiver. Welcome to the world of 8/81 stripper clips!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator