Limitations of the peep sight.

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
In The Ten Ring

Limitations of the peep sight.

Post by In The Ten Ring »

So I received my Model 81 with Marbles peep sight. It is a beauty! The peep is pretty neat but I see it's not windage adjustable. I guess that's a limitation.....so the William and Redfield peep sights, those do have windage adjustments, right? Are the Williams and Redfields better then? What say you guys?
norm

Re: Limitations of the peep sight.

Post by norm »

Tang sights can be adjusted for windage by shimming one or the other side of the base or moving the front sight.
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

I think my 1906 example has its Marbles peep shimmed on one side.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

norm wrote:Tang sights can be adjusted for windage by shimming one or the other side of the base or moving the front sight.
I'm pretty sure the intended design was to move the front sight in the dovetail. A press fit, sitting for decades with out lube or never-sieze they are often locked up. The right way is Not with a hammer and punch. If you don't have a screw type sight vise it can add up to a mess. Even if one has the special made sight vise to fit that particular gun, how much do you move it? Which direction to move? Right.
These the reason we see a lot of shims under the post style tang sights. It is not the correct solution but many times the best one. By the way, move the front sight opposite the way you want to move the impact, move it only a little at a time. It never takes much.
Phyrbird
SOKY