Teddy Roosevelt Style Lion hunting

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Packmule

Teddy Roosevelt Style Lion hunting

Post by Packmule »

So I just sent off my down payment for my dream hunt, a Hound Lion hunt in NM for next Feb. I have been wanting to go and do that
since I quit guiding so long ago. I went on plenty lion hunts in my younger days just never the shooter. I am thinking of taking a Model 8 of course
but also considering taking a westley richards lee speed I am getting soon. Which ever it will be a classic rifle for sure should make Teddy Proud. I know its a ways away but man am I excited ......... Will make sure to take lots of pictures to go with the story, and maybe just maybe
dispatch a large Catamount with a Great Model 8........stay tuned might even find me a outfit like Teddy's in the pic above now that be a great picture!
thanks RJ

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
DWalt

Re: Teddy Roosevelt Style Lion hunting

Post by DWalt »

Teddy included a Model 8 in .35 Rem in his battery for use on plains game during his 1909 African safari. Maybe you should try to find one of those.
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

my little carbine is a 1907 circa MDL 8 , 35 rem will have to take the stith off that hunt but it would work. You can take two lions now in NM with one lic. So maybe one with a model 8 and one with the Lee speed would be the order of the day ........

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
81police

Post by 81police »

you gotta take the Model 8 Pack! We need more modern Model 8/81 hunting pictures!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

In addition to the Model 8, Teddy also took two other American rifles - a "sporterized" U. S. Springfield Model 1903 in .30-'06 and a Winchester Model 1895 in .405 Winchester. Either of those would make your hunt more historically authentic to T.R.'s spirit than the W-R Lee.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Wonder I if the guide is talking to Kermit on his cell phone ??
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Could you imagine an American president (or any world leader for that matter) going on a (real) safari these days?