FN 1900 with scope bracket, value issue

MBiz

FN 1900 with scope bracket, value issue

Post by MBiz »

Good evening gentleman
I have been offered a carabine Browning FN 1900 that is in very good shape. My issue is that someone has installed a scope bracket. In your opinion what is the impact on the value of the carbine? Thank you

jack1653

Re: FN 1900 with scope bracket, value issue

Post by jack1653 »

Hey MBiz,

If you have followed any of the members postings on the FN's you will know that these rifles are rare in any condition. The thing that you may be stuck with is a mount that may not have a scope that will fit it. Sarge756 may be able to give you some insight as to what kind of mount is on the rifle.

I have an FN that came from Germany that has a mount on it that I can't find a scope mount to fit. I mention this to suggest that you may not be able to remove the mount on the rifle because it appears to be soldered to the receiver which was the same as the one I have.

To answer your question as to value, I will say that the mount is a negative to the value as a collector. However, you may still be able to use the original iron sights in which case it will be a good shooter. As to dollar value, I will not say what I think the value would be. All original with no alterations and in good condition you can expect to $2200 and up for the FN.

If you decide you are going to pass on it, let me know as I might be interested in the rifle.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

MBiz,

Unfortunately i do not know the manufacturer of the scope mounts, but I do have some photographs from a Model 8 that'll show you how it assembled once upon a time...
Attachments
DSCF0415.jpg
DSCF0415.jpg (71.4 KiB) Viewed 10377 times
DSCF0417.jpg
DSCF0417.jpg (89.83 KiB) Viewed 10377 times
DSCF0419.jpg
DSCF0419.jpg (90.71 KiB) Viewed 10377 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

Here's a couple more...
Attachments
DSCF0421.jpg
DSCF0421.jpg (66.85 KiB) Viewed 10377 times
DSCF0420.jpg
DSCF0420.jpg (70.71 KiB) Viewed 10377 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ranman

Post by ranman »

The scope mount is certinally an issue but I think the rarity of the FN would override most of it. A competent smith could make a mating set of rings and you are back in business. The blue book value from 2014 suggest 1500 dollars at 60 %. I would think that would be close if there are no other issues.
MBiz

Post by MBiz »

Thank you all of you,
Those are relevant answers that help me. I will keep you posted. The rifle is in Europe and it can take a long time to bring it to Canada. I have imported an Auto-5 from France and it took 6 months.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

That may be a rifle I considered buying it sure looks familiar.... if it's the same gun and at the same shop it's been around awhile. I balked at importing it for time, cost, and hassle.
curdog

Post by curdog »

Those mounts are your usual European claw mount. They were probably fitted when the rifle was originally purchased, and if I was looking to buy it, I'd consider it to be quite in character with a piece of that period, and actually make it a little more interesting. Just because it isn't exactly as it left FN does not necessarily detract from it. The workmanship looks quite competent.

Finding a period scope is not a problem, nor is rebuilding it to better than it was at new specs. A workman familiar with claw mounts can fabricate new ones. This is not a job for the average "gunsmith", who is not familiar with or used to building and fitting small parts like this from scratch on a daily basis. Properly done, claw mounts are as sturdy and repeatable as any mounts out there. They wouldn't still be with us after over 100 years if they weren't.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey curdog,

You have stated this in a well worded explanation. I agree with your assessment.

Regards,

jack1653
curdog

Post by curdog »

Thank you, Jack.

If I was a serious collector, such as yourself, I'd really consider one like this. It is a good example to illustrate a period solution to attaching optics to what was then a new rifle design. It was handmade, and not something that could be purchased off the shelf.

But be aware, having a truly competent workman make everything whole again will not be an inexpensive undertaking. Such individuals are both difficult to find and quite rare, the other kind who will do it cheaply and poorly abound. This is not a project for that.