My 1907 model 8

Posts about the Model 8
Stray03

My 1907 model 8

Post by Stray03 »

Alright I picked this up for probably more than I should have but it is the only one I have ever seen for sale up here. Anyways Now I'm wondering If I should leave it as is or reblue and clean it up into a decent looking rifle.

-Missing original buttplate, had a badly fitting one with it.
-the detent pin for the safety is missing which means someone managed to take it apart before me.
-almost no blueing left
-The stock has been refinished and reshaped by someone. Probably in an attempt to remove what looks like hunting notches on the fore stock and buttstock.
- when I got the thing it looked like someone had dropped it with the stock off, The end of the spring tube took a hit preventing me from removing the spring until I rounded the tube end back up and once I got the spring out I shaped it back to near "original"
-Light pitting on shroud, and some on the outside of actual barrel.

Upsides

-Nice bore
-mechanically complete, aka should work when I pull the trigger
- all parts match

I figure there isn't much collectors value left in her, so I wonder If I should just clean her up. Any Ideas?
Sarge756

Re: My 1907 model 8

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome from N.Florida. Where the heck is "up here"?

Take a look at this previous post for some "ideas".

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3392

Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Stray03

Post by Stray03 »

Americas hat, Canada. So a Refinishing/rebluing is the right path?
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

IMHO you are on the right track... First make sure it functions and shoot it. Then, refinish, etc. as you like - it will never be a true collector item but a real fine, fun shooter - probably exactly what you bought it for. Enjoy.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Stray03

Post by Stray03 »

Yeah even though I do Like having a gun that will grow in value, It doesn't change anything since I don't sell my firearms. I'm intrigued by the mechanics of firearms, and enjoy seeing how the early repeaters were built. Most new repeating firearms are based on well tested mechanisms. Repeating arms makers of that time period really had nothing else to base their designs on so when you look at the mechanisms they tend to be more interesting and better built than the stuff being sold today.
All this being said, I only buy Firearms that I can shoot, I would never spend the money on a firearm who's value is based on the fact that it is new in box never fired.

So although it annoys me that people do stupid things to firearms as long as they function properly I'm ok with it even though it means more work for me to bring her back to her former glory or thereabouts.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

...may take awhile, some elbow grease, plus the scavenger hunt for a few parts. Should be fun, and definitely rewarding. My your tribe increase. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Stray03

Post by Stray03 »

Definitely a scavenger hunt, I may just make my own detent pin. Probably easier than sourcing, and cheaper. Even as beaten up as she is, it is quite an intriguing rifle to look at.
81police

Post by 81police »

Stray, I might have a spare safety detent
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Stray03

Post by Stray03 »

Well I decided it wouldn't be worth making a full restoration on this Rifle, so I cleaned it up, got the spare parts that I needed Thanks to this forum, and started a "Functional" restoration. Involved some cold bluing to protect the barrel and cleaning up of the wood stock (including steaming). I still have to polish out the bolt as there is a dark mark on it and install the safety detent but Even though it isn't perfect I still think It came out well enough as a nice shooting gun, even though I don't have to worry about the value of it having increased.

Anyways the Pics are not great and it doesn't look as dark as the pics show it. (Bad lighting) but I consider it better than when I got it. Shoots Well (accurate), even though she does kick much more than I expected her to.

Big thanks to those who helped.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

what caliber?
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Stray03

Post by Stray03 »

.35 remington
81police

Post by 81police »

she's lookin good! :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Stray03

Post by Stray03 »

She looks better than she did, still has some ugly "notched in deer kills" on stock and fore end. Is the detent ball supposed to hold the safety about 1/8th of an inch off the receiver and be difficult to switch from safe to fire?
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

What's with the trigger lock?

*I assume you are somewhere that's has a trigger lock law and posting pics is dangerous unless there's a lock in place.* I toss all my trigger locks into a big box, never to be messed with again, except once where I used one for the locker at the gym.
Stray03

Post by Stray03 »

Canada unfortunately rules here say locked for storage if not I get charged with improper storage lose my licence lose my guns and a few other nice things that were written into law.
I was just too lazy to find the right key to take the lock off for the picture.
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

I figured it was something like that. Sorry mate, I couldn't live very easily by such rules. I understand it's not so easy for you to escape those bounds.
Stray03

Post by Stray03 »

1990's was a big kick to canadian gun owners teeth. Firearms act came to being that made no mention of new rules for the criminal use of firearms, but made a bunch of rules for the firearms community to be forced to follow unless they wanted to experience jail time. Improper storage and other things became criminal acts, banned and confiscated guns like the SPAS 12 and the calico series of firearms, made pistols with barrels of 4 inches or less prohibited (allowing owners to keep them, but if made after 1946 they cannot be transferred to others therefore delayed confiscation), and a bunch of other crap. It is what happens when firearm ownership is a privilege and not a right. They removed the long gun registry in 2012 with no ill effect, so atleast it was a bit of a step in the right direction just not enough.