bullet profile HELP!

Posts about the Model 8
olskool

bullet profile HELP!

Post by olskool »

i have been fighting bullet profile in my 35 mod. 8 for a wile. i like cast so i got a rcbs 180gr. flat nose for a 35 lever gun. the bullet profile is shaped so that the the bullet engages into the rifling and you cant pull the bolt open. so i got another mold, a lyman 208gr round nose. it dose the same thing. so i bought some hornady 200gr. pointed bullets, same thing. i have to seat the bullets a good bit past the cannalure in order to use them. dose anyone know of a mold or bullet with the correct profile? i am thinking about buy a box of 180 hor. flex tips but i hate to buy them and have the same problem.
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
Roger

Re: bullet profile HELP!

Post by Roger »

Sir,
I might consider just trimming my brass back to fit the cannelure. I know that hornady bullets of certain types and calibers require brass trimming under the Normal trim length. I don't know if this will help,but it's just a thought.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
olskool

Post by olskool »

rodger i tried that it didn't help.
norm

Post by norm »

Can you see rifling marks on the cast bullets? Use a felt tip marker to color the bullet. Makes it easier to see rifling marks. If you see rifling marks on the bullet use a .354 or.355 sizing die in the lube sizer with a flat faced top punch and run the bullet into the sizing die nose first to reduce just the front band. Also try a case without a bullet and see if the bolt will close and find out if the problem is the case or the bullet.
olskool

Post by olskool »

thanks norm, you can see the rifling marks on the cast and jackets. the problem is the bullet profile. that is a thought on reducing the size of front of the driving band of the cast bullet. i use a star lube sizer that pushes the bullet through from the rear, i don't know how to reduce just the front of the bullet.
olskool

Post by olskool »

update, problem solved. i went to my loading room and trimmed the brass a little mare and that did the trick. i can still see where the lead engages into the lands but not enough to cause any resistance when the bolt is pulled back to extract the round. it shoots perfectly to. thanks for the help.