Anyone heard of a Model 8 in .308?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Bandersnatch

Anyone heard of a Model 8 in .308?

Post by Bandersnatch »

This auction closed two years ago, but just take a look...

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11418839
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Hardrada55

Re: Anyone heard of a Model 8 in .308?

Post by Hardrada55 »

Way too many unanswered questions about this one. It's a Model 8. If they just re-chambered from .30 Remington to .308, did they do anything to the springs? How about the bolt face, .308 shouldn't work with the .30 Remington bolt face. The bolt might hold the cartridge correctly if it was originally a 35, which is what the .300 Savage used. Don't know near enough about this to be able to figure out if you're looking at a gun which soon will be a broken gun. Wow. What's the difference in operating pressures for a .300 Savage and a .308? The only way I can see this would work is if you combined a Remington 8 in .30 Remington and donated alot of parts from a Model 81 in .300 Savage, and then loaded the .308 down to .300 Savage levels. I think you might still get into trouble if the barrel is a .30 Remington re-chambered for .308 because of the slim barrel profile? Barrel failure? Are the barrel profiles for the .30 Remington and the .300 Savage even different?
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60