picked up a parts set

Posts about the Model 8
uhjohnson

picked up a parts set

Post by uhjohnson »

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =452319387 just got this .25 set off GB and it is great. the bore is pristine and the barrel jacket/head is solid. the patent lines highest date is 1902 and the sight appears to be original however it does not have the 1902 date like the sight on my #4187 gun. I bought this parts set to replace the loose jacket/head on my gun and now I am wondering if I should replace the .30 bolt in my gun with the .25 and change the gun to a .25

thanks
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
Bandersnatch

Re: picked up a parts set

Post by Bandersnatch »

As I understand it, the bolt heads on all the small caliber guns are the same, so you could just swap barrels.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

Does the magazine have to be swapped out
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I don't *think* so. The case bodies are the same diameter and all the cartridges are the same length.

At least this is so for .25, .30, .32.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

UHJ, I have all 3 barrel assemblies. Your 30Rem receiver parts just might surprise you and fit the 25Rem barrel. 8-) I would be very careful about headspace if you put the 25 on the 30R receiver. If it is too long you could end up with a separated case when fired. :x
The bolts and extractors are identical. :geek:
There are only side spring differences in the magazines. They all fit.

I have 2 of the semi buckhorn sights like the one in the Pics. Neither has Remington markings and were from an original installation. Yours is correct for the period and probably Remington manufacture.

I have a need to do some trading. Sending PM
Phyrbird
SOKY
TRX

Post by TRX »

Uuuhhh... it never occurred to me that while the 8 was a takedown rifle, that it could be a "switchbarrel" too. Though I'm happy with the .30 caliber.

After discovering the Model 8 by chance on the internet, I bought one sight unseen via Gunbroker, hoping I hadn't made a horrible mistake. And the longer I keep that rifle, the more I like it...