Is 35 remington leverevolution safe to use in a model 81?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
DNS

Is 35 remington leverevolution safe to use in a model 81?

Post by DNS »

Did a search and still am not sure. Thanks
Sarge756

Re: Is 35 remington leverevolution safe to use in a model 81

Post by Sarge756 »

We`ve discussed this a few times here and I believe the consensus was that the Model 81 can stand the extra pressure of the Leverevolution ammo. I`ve shot it in mine and it functioned just fine.If you have located some at a reasonable price I wouldn`t be afraid to use it. The 8`s and 81`s are plenty tough...Remember that the 81 comes also in 300 Savage,a round that well exceeds pressures of the Hornady stuff in 35.
So,are you putting together some reloading equipment so you don`t have to worry about issues like this and be at the mercy of whatever is on the shelf?
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
DNS

Post by DNS »

Yes I am going to reload, but brass and bullets are just as hard to find as loaded ammo, at least for now.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

If you missed this post it may take care of your brass problem viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3886
$50 for a hundred with multiple reloads possible should keep you shooting for a long time.
Bullets? Hornady 200gr RN here: http://www.lowpriceguns.com/product.php_312218
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
Sarge is absolutely correct. We have discussed this subject here before. But to re do my response from earlier, I have used leverevolution ammo in all my 35 Rem. 8/81s. It has been accurate beyond any expectation and kills deer dead as a hammer. Unless your rifle is in questionable condition,(and there's no way I would be able to know that) you should be equally successful with it. I also use the Hornady FTX bullets to reload many calibers,as well as the Leverevolution powder too. Also used for many calibers. 30 rem.32rem.35rem.300savage30wcf32win.special33wcf
32/40 wcf348wcf
So as you can see,I'm sold on all these Hornady products.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

Roger wrote:Sir,
Sarge is absolutely correct. We have discussed this subject here before. But to re do my response from earlier, I have used leverevolution ammo in all my 35 Rem. 8/81s. It has been accurate beyond any expectation and kills deer dead as a hammer. Unless your rifle is in questionable condition,(and there's no way I would be able to know that) you should be equally successful with it. I also use the Hornady FTX bullets to reload many calibers,as well as the Leverevolution powder too. Also used for many calibers. 30 rem.32rem.35rem.300savage30wcf32win.special33wcf
32/40 wcf348wcf
So as you can see,I'm sold on all these Hornady products.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
The search function works decently on this forum! I guessed that this question was asked frequently due to the wide availability of Hornady's relatively new .358" FTX cartridges and bullets. Good to know that it will work fine in the M-8.

I ran into Lonnie Hummel, one of the Hornady handloading managers, at the big Tulsa gun show a few years ago. During our conversation, he noted that Hornady wanted to capture certain "niche" markets for nearly-obsolete cartridges by making periodic limited runs for enthusiasts who will actually buy their products - not just talk about them. :D A similar business plan worked well for Canadian Dominion/ICI in the 1950s-60s. Those cartridges that do not sell out in a reasonable timeframe will be dropped in favor of ones that will. I certainly want them to continue producing cartridges for MY firearms - even though I handload every CF cartridge I shoot...(including .25 acp). The boxes of FTX .35 Rem. are rather pricey....but I'm gonna swallow hard and continue to buy an occasional box of it and other limited runs to help keep them in production.
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

I bought 3 boxes of the Leverevolution ammo for my .35's. I plan to reload on all those cases.
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

I've been working on some load development for my Model-8 in .35 Remington and decided to try to confirm the advertised 2225fps velocity of Hornady's Leverevolution ammunition for that cartridge. I fired several rounds (Lot #3150431) from the Model-8 over my blue Chrony - set up 10' from the end of the barrel (fresh 9v battery @ 61deg.F). Average velocity was 1832fps.......nearly 400fps below what they advertise on the packaging... That velocity is very close to my own handloading results in the Model-8 with the 200r. FTX and 40.0gr. commercially-available LVR gunpowder.

Just for grins, I pulled the powder from a Hornady .35 Rem. FTX cartridge to compare it to the stuff they sell us in the 1# canisters. They are slightly different in color and granulation.

Actually...I'm rather impressed with the Hornady FTX ammo and Hodgdon/Hornady Leverevolution gunpowder. In my initial trials it shows lower ES numbers than my old stand-by choices of H4198, IMR3031, and IMR-4895, and should be an excellent choice for loading in the .35 Rem.
Fishhawk

Post by Fishhawk »

I shot some 35 Remington leverevolution ammo yesterday and it shot fine in my newly acquired rifle. I found the recoil to be stout. Steel butt didn't help. I have to say, the ammo was very accurate in my rifle.