Just Joined the Model 8 Club

Posts about the Model 8
bigskybound

Just Joined the Model 8 Club

Post by bigskybound »

Just received my first Model 8 Remington in .35 Remington! :D It is in pretty decent shape, with over 95% finish remaining on metal (my estimate). Wood has been refinished and has a shiny varnish. I will strip that and oil it. No rear sight on barrel, but has a Williams peep. Plan on replacing it with a folding Marbles I also purchased. The front sight (Marbles No. 6) is bent a little. Hope to straighten it out without busting it. :cry: Bore is fantastic and the action seems to function flawlessly. SN places it in 1936 date of manufacture. I plan on taking it to the range this weekend. Attaching some pics.
Attachments
TM n SN.jpg
TM n SN.jpg (60.34 KiB) Viewed 7909 times
receiver cu.jpg
receiver cu.jpg (81.28 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
side.jpg
side.jpg (83.58 KiB) Viewed 7909 times
bigskybound

Re: Just Joined the Model 8 Club

Post by bigskybound »

Couple more pics.
Attachments
action open.jpg
action open.jpg (59.35 KiB) Viewed 7903 times
marbles.jpg
marbles.jpg (90.04 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
williams.jpg
williams.jpg (46.1 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Congratulations on a great looking rifle and welcome to the club - albeit a very addictive club!! :roll:

Might I suggest that you try the Williams before removing it for the screw-up Marble. I have had good luck with both. But one time, I had two rifles that looked the same, were the same caliber, but one had the peep (Redfield) and the other the screw-up tang (Marble). I found that on that particular set of rifles the peep worked better for me. Also, I had to replace the front sight with a taller post when using the screw-up on a couple of other 8/81's.

AS TO FINISHES, I copied this to use in refinishing some stocks on older rifles - the idea came from an 81Police's post some where on this forum (not an exact quote and I have not tried it yet):
To closely duplicate a factory (pre 1950) varnish finish: recommend a satin or semi-gloss (urethane /varnish?) cut with 50% linseed oil* then hand-rubbed - can get a very close match.

This regarding Lin-Speed recommended by an Old(er) Timer "as the ONLY FINISH to use on stocks" at least it was back in the 40's and 50's (seems that a bunch of folks still like it, as it's still around!):
... from the Lin-Speed web page: "...(Lin-Speed is) linseed oil refined to the point that the oil acquires the admirable qualities of good body and rapid dry. Ordinary linseed oil never really dries. The "GB" Lin-Speed refinement process removes the non-drying linseed parts (called Foots)."

Enjoy your new treasure, a real part of firearms history for sure! :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Mitch,

Thanks for the tip on the wood re-finishing. I have one rifle that I think I will try this suggestion. I have always been a fan of the Birchwood Oil process but it can be tricky and it tends to be more high gloss.

I have also seen a posting somewhere that said the Arthur Fornby wood refinishing was pretty good. I have used Fornby's for years on furniture restoration wilth good results but never thougth of using it on gun stocks. Have you ever tried this product for guns?

Jack
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Well, ah ... no, Jack. Actually, I was just passing on info that I've been gathering - to do my FIRST project. So, unfortunately I cannot comment on what works, only what others have said works. But, if this rain ever lets up (I think we've seen the sun 4 times since Christmas!) I'll start sorting and prioritizing my projects: bedding and refinishing a couple of stocks will be on that list.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
bigskybound

Post by bigskybound »

imfuncity wrote: Might I suggest that you try the Williams before removing it for the screw-up Marble. I have had good luck with both. But one time, I had two rifles that looked the same, were the same caliber, but one had the peep (Redfield) and the other the screw-up tang (Marble). I found that on that particular set of rifles the peep worked better for me. Also, I had to replace the front sight with a taller post when using the screw-up on a couple of other 8/81's.
Thanks for the tips on refinishing and the thoughts on sights. One of the reasons I picked up the Marbles is that to me it seems the "classic" tang sight for the Model 8. The Williams looks out of place and foreign to the rifle.
imfuncity

Re: Model 8 sights

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks for the tips on refinishing and the thoughts on sights. One of the reasons I picked up the Marbles is that to me it seems the "classic" tang sight for the Model 8. The Williams looks out of place and foreign to the rifle.
Agree with that. That was the same reason I picked up a couple of extra. But then my surprise regarding the Redfield. (I even took tools to the range and changed them out there on the same rifle just to make sure it wasn't a specific rifle.) Henwood's book and research does makes it clear that Remington would put on just about any kind of sight someone wanted - thus, just about anything of the "period" would be acceptable. And, just for the record, if you decided to get rid of the Williams I'd appreciate a shot at it.
bigskybound

Post by bigskybound »

Bought some reloads at a gunshow and took rifle to range today. At 50 yards I was not impresed with my shooting. I felt I was holding the same sight picture, but hard to be sure. Majority of shots grouped in about a 4"x5" cluster a bit high and to the right. I shoot single shot BPCR woth vernier tang sights and hooded globe front sights with vey good effect. I am wondering if a Beech combination front sight would work well with a peep sight on this rifle and help me maintain a better sight picture. If the rifle had its barrel sights I know I could have done better, but I like the way the peep acquires the target quickly for me.
81police

Post by 81police »

Welcome to the club! I'd bet that 8 won't be your last ;)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

IMHO as a very real newbie to shooting period ...
- I've found iron sights to be a real and fun challenge.
- After doing some learning I've finally been able to get most of mine to do a 4-5" group at 100yds.
- I'm sure there are some guys on here with some old 8's and 81's that can do better then that but from what I've heard that is pretty average for these guns - "minute of deer".

Even though this is the age of wanting to cove all your shots with a quarter at 100yds, not likely that will ever happen with these old humbacks. Notwithstanding, they are still way cool to shoot, sound great when fired, and just a different level of pleasure.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

I didn't have alot of time to play around with it, but the cobbled together .30 I sold to Mitch would at least put them on a paper plate at 50. I'm sure with a little work it could be tightened up a bit.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."