Welded Model 8 from Gunbroker

Posts about the Model 8
rcathey714

Welded Model 8 from Gunbroker

Post by rcathey714 »

Hello, Folks!

This is in regards to the $299 Model 8 from Gunbroker. There was a thread on it it the For Sale forum.

Anyway, I picked it up yesterday afternoon. After some careful Dremel-ing, I found Swiss cheese.

Overall, I'm pretty happy. There's a few pin-prick pits here and there but the barrel is good and the finish is worn juuuuuust the way I like it. An interesting note, if the hatches on the buttplate are to be believed, someone took a lot of deer (or whatever) with this rifle.

So, now, give me every bit of applicable info on having these holes TIG welded!
Attachments
model8.JPG
model8.JPG (578.31 KiB) Viewed 20218 times
Phyrbird

Re: Welded Model 8 from Gunbroker

Post by Phyrbird »

:cry: :cry:
Phyrbird
SOKY
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

Don't worry, Phyrbird. I'm going to do everything in my power to make her all better!
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

Well it just gets worse. I got it all taken apart for a good scrub down and there's no firing pin. It's just plain gone. Everything else is in place. It's like someone took it apart, took out the firing pin, and put it back together. Numrich to the rescue! Should be here early next week.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"Holely"-molly my friend, think you may have the dubious honor of having the M-8 with the most holes... :cry: How many extra holes do you have?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

That would 11, good sir. I tapped 9 of them last night for 10-32 plugs. Two for 1/4"-28. My guess is, most of these holes were holding 8-32 screws that wallered out. Instead of drilling the mount and the gun for 10-32, they just moved the mount and drilled new 8-32 holes. Wash, rinse, and repeat a few times and you have a custom ventilated Remington Model 8.

I have the plugs threaded in right now awaiting some TIG welding. A gentleman I work with is going to do it and I trust his skills implicitly (...it may also help that I know the locking lugs lock into the barrel, not the receiver ;) ). Of course, even with the plugs standing proud of the receiver, I think it looks better than a bunch of holes. So, he's definitely not going to make it look worse!

After it's welded up, I'm going to carefully bring everything flush, wipe on some cold blue, and call it good. If I buy another, I'll get a nicer one but this is a shooter and I'm excited about that.

Also, I began work on the stock last night. It had a chunk "fixed" previously. While the color and grain matched pretty well, the gap around the fix was no bueno. So I milled that out on the Bridgeport here at work and it's awaiting the right piece of walnut.

Finally, I might splurge for a tang sight if I ever run across one.

-takes deep breath- Phew! I bought it as a project and it's definitely quite the project haha.
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

Just a quick shot with the threaded pins in place and ground down. They're about 1/16" proud of the surface. My previously mentioned work buddy is hopefully going to weld it up tonight. Maybe Monday night. We shall see (it's hard to rush someone that works for Subway and about 150 round of .22LR).
Attachments
pinsgroundflush.JPG
pinsgroundflush.JPG (35.96 KiB) Viewed 20136 times
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

11!! Indeed a holey mess... a noble effort bring her back to respectability. Agree, often it is the journey that brings the most satisfaction, hopefully it will be a great fun shooter also.

For those that remember way-back-when, I officially (again) give up my crown for having the ugliest M-8 - rcathey714 is the reigning champ! (Previous title holder gave his up via welding, etc., - mine was parted out as a favor by the late sighthound.)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

I'm definitely on the road to getting rid of that title! My work friend called yesterday at about 6 to tell me he got it all welded up. I'll get another picture of that posted on Monday and I'll probably clean it up Monday too.

Question: Would this 1932 model 8 have a place for a firing pin spring AND a firing pin buffer spring? I only bought the firing pin spring from Numrich and now I'm seeing the smaller buffer spring in my repair manual.
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

Welded up! I think there are still a couple low spots but, heck, it looks better than 11 holes!
Attachments
welded up.jpeg
welded up.jpeg (435.05 KiB) Viewed 20072 times
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Like... now it is has character. :lol:
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

And I'm about to file away all that character just as soon as 5 o'clock rolls around ;)
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

Well, here it is! Perfect? Nope. Close enough? Dern straight.

As you can see in the unfinished picture, there are a couple low spots but they match the rest of the gun so I can definitely live with that. The finish is just some cold blue I bought at an auction once. Lord knows how old it is but it works great (it's Outer's brand and the bottle suggests degreasing with carbon tet :lol: ).

So there it is! I went to put it together again last night and wouldn't you know it, it's missing the bolt carrier latch and spring. Found those on ebay, though, so I'll be putting it together and maybe trying it out this weekend!
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (556.81 KiB) Viewed 20041 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (413.93 KiB) Viewed 20041 times
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Nice job. Enjoy... almost, soon as you get rest of your parts. :o
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

Got her all put together yesterday afternoon! I'll be trying to find some place to shoot it this coming weekend, maybe. Need to find a little more ammo too if I can.

The concensus is no Hornady ammo, correct?
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

The Remington Core Lockt stuff seems to work well in my .300 Savage model 81.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
81police

Post by 81police »

it's ALIVE!! Great work
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Wow, this is a great thread!

She looks really good. I now have found a precedent for all those Model 8's I see missing the scope mount base.

I actually prefer the somewhat abused arms because when I bang them up hunting (and I will) I don't feel so bad.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Beating our Ladies :!: :!:

Somebody get a strained order :?

Ten Ring, you could get a bad rep for this. :lol:
Phyrbird
SOKY
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Sometimes the ladies ask for rough and sometimes they just deserve it. :twisted: :lol:

It's hunting....which to me translates into "scouting rough terrain which may result in trips and falls." I once fell so hard during scouting that I thought I broke my back and I did break my scope I had put onto a friend's rifle. I killed my first deer (7 point) the next day with that rifle's iron sights.

So ya, I like a hunting arm to look a bit rough already. That way when I fall and break part of it I don't feel so bad. :geek:
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Comment #1: I carefully have no comment. Learned a long time ago to try to stay out of trouble. :shock:

Comment #2: I too have fallen down and could get up. :? I've developed a habit of trying to roll and cradle the rifle. :geek:

Comment #3 I like to make use of my tools; if I own it, I shoot it. ;) Don't have much use for one I can't shoot.
Phyrbird
SOKY