Rem 8 35Rem GB $299!

Items for sale or trade
imfuncity

Rem 8 35Rem GB $299!

Post by imfuncity »

She's rough... I've bought worse. :shock: Obviously needs some TLC - plus maybe some glue and a welder! (Just an FYI - no dog in the hunt.)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =435529300
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
rcathey714

Re: Rem 8 35Rem GB $299!

Post by rcathey714 »

First post here! Just thought I'd say that I'm the buyer :D
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I think you got a good deal. FBI style sling swivels, Weaver scope (likely 2.5 or 3X), 35 Rem caliber, and the wood looks like it's not below the metal from sanding. Check to see if the numbers all match. :ugeek:
Weaver scope if OK sells for about $75-100.
Scope rings about $20
Sling eyes usually go for $25-50.
OK 75+20+25=$120
Then $299-120=$180 invested in rifle. Of course you have shipping and dealer rec't cost.

For a Newbie you did Good :!: :!:

However, be aware these rifles have a need to Begat; :o you will find they are infected with Jackitis. You are too now. :lol:
Even B4 the rifle arrives you are looking for the next lady for the stable. :twisted:
Phyrbird
SOKY
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

Well shoot...I wouldn't have guessed any of that. Thanks for the info!

I've been looking at them for a year or so now. I just haaaad to have one to go with my Winchester 1897 (keeping it in the family, don'tchya know). When I saw that Bubba special scope mount, I knew it would 1. turn a lot of people off and 2. give me a wonderful project to piddle with.

So, all in all, I've very pleased and excited to tear into it!
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome and glad you decided to take the plunge. We will be waiting to see the results of your work in progress and wish you well with it.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Well done and welcome to the sickness...just keep repeating "one in each caliber then I'll quit"... let us know how it works.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

Welcome and glad you decided to take the plunge. We will be waiting to see the results of your work in progress and wish you well with it.
Joe
Thanks, Joe! I'll snap some pictures along the way, for sure. Keep an eye out in the main Model 8 forum.

Well done and welcome to the sickness...just keep repeating "one in each caliber then I'll quit"... let us know how it works.
I think I should be able to stop with just this one. My 45-70 is expensive enough to feed. That's why I went with the 35...it's cheaper to shoot!
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

I think I should be able to stop with just this one. My 45-70 is expensive enough to feed. That's why I went with the 35...it's cheaper to shoot![/quote]

Well.................We will see.
Joe
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

I mean, I guess another one in 35 couldn't hurt....
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Has the first 35 Rem arrived yet? :mrgreen:
I believe the incubation period for Jackitis is about 10 minutes :lol:
Phyrbird
SOKY
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

I wish! I recently moved to the area I am now after leaving my hometown. Back home, everyone at the gunstore knew me by name (and taste in firearms ;) ). Here, the gunstore staff is uneducated on most everything firearm related and very rude. So, let's just say I have been very unimpressed with the service I get here. Such is life, I suppose! They tell me they are finally going to fax the information over today though. I remain skeptical, however haha
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir, I fully understand about finding FFL dealers that are willing to help you with gun transfers. And usually they want to gouge you for transfer fees. Some places here in Iowa, now charge as much as 75.00 for a FFL transfer. I was lucky enuf to find a dealer who does it for me for 25.00,and he actually cares about my deals. I hope your new (to you) rem. Model 8 comes thru without a hitch. And yes they do become quite unruly if you deny their desire for roommates. Mine have become worse since I was exposed to Jackitis. It's quite contagious. However with that being said, my Winchester JMB designed levers are equally unruly. Especially right now.
Good luck and thanks for your time,
Roger williams
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

I can`t imagine having that kind of hassle with an FFL. Thankful that I have a good friend that is reasonable with the transfer with the arms I acquire that require an FFL transfer. As much as I like visiting with him when needed it is a long drive to town to pick them up. Most of my collecting is with firearms that don`t require an FFL to do a transfer. Any firearm with a production date prior to todays date, 1964 (50 years old) qualifies as a Curio &Relic and with a $30 three year C&R license it can be shipped directly to your home. Look into it and save some $ and the hassle.
Joe
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

Well, here's the breakdown:

Friday 8/22 - Visit dealer after work to pay 30 dollar transfer fee and get the paperwork going.
Saturday 8/23 - Call to check status only to be told, in a sassy tone, "We'll get to it when we get to it." (Seriously.)
Sunday and Monday - Store closed.
Tuesday 8/26 - Called and was told, "It's slated to fax this afternoon."
Wednesday 8/27 - Called and actually had it faxed over. Finally.

So, maybe I'll have it in a week or so. I requested the seller send me the tracking number so I don't have to struggle with the dealer here at all. Just go once it's delivered.

Anyway, I've thought about the C&R but I live in an apartment building so I just don't know.

And, Roger, another JMB design I would so dearly love to have is an 1895 in 7.62x54r. Guess I'll put that next on the list ;)
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

With that kind of experience I wouldn't have to think about it very long. Apartment Building shouldn`t hinder you. Have it signature required delivery if you are concerned about having it sit by the door in a hallway. If you are concerned others would be privy to the contents due to shape and length of box you can always request that the package be held for pickup at the shippers facility. Nope! Having a " new " firearm join the collection is supposed to be a happy occasion not marred by some jerk at the gunstore. I wouldn`t have to think about it very long.
While on the subject of shipping firearms it bears mentioning that when sending or receiving do your best to disquise the contents of the package. In the case of our 8/81`s and other arms that readily break down it is good policy to ship them that way. Smaller shorter packaging not only isn`t a giveaway as to the contents but it also makes it more secure along the way. Most of the damage that occurs in transit is due to the bending of the package that can result in a broken stock etc. Hope your wait is short for your 8 and that the rest of the transaction is pleasant.
Joe
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Sarge,
You have the packaging idea right, and by the way FEDEX takes 8-12 weeks to pay insurance. IF the insurance guy can be bullied into it. they spend a lot of time denying your claim.
Phyrbird
SOKY
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Sounds like you move to SoCA... heard more stories about FFLs like that down there then everywhere else put together! You seriously need to find a gun-customer friendly FFL, several places on line to check for other FFLs in your area - many of them likely working out of there garage. Like Sarge I got a good friend who takes care of my FFL needs, a motorcycle mechanic, biggest problem is trying to make the pickup short... keep from spending several hours there!
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

imfuncity: Lord have mercy! I wouldn't move to California if my life depended on it. I moved from Kentucky to Missouri. From a small town to a very large town (for a job).

Sarge: You're definitely pushing me in that direction. The biggest issue against it, I suppose, is how much more guns I'd buy online :shock:
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey fellas,
My oldest son has a C@R license, but I've always avoided it because I don't want any government agency to be able to come see my guns at the drop of a hat. That's just one thing to consider.
Thanks for your time ,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

To be honest, Roger, that's one of the reasons I'm not sold on the idea as well.
rcathey714

Post by rcathey714 »

Started a thread up in the Model 8 forum!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3853&p=14049&sid=3c ... 600#p14049