My first Model 81

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
Phyrbird

My first Model 81

Post by Phyrbird »

Okay, I probably should have done this earlier. Was in a Kentucky Gunshow when my brother dragged me half way across the hall. He'd found a setup with lots of JMB Remingtons. This one was a beauty. In one of my favorite calibers 35 Remington. Nice wood, better than normal blueing. All I had was trading material. A pair of TC Contender barrels.
YESSS!! :o the gentleman wanted to trade!!!! We worked out a nice deal, agreeable to both. My brother was bouncing from one foot to the other, thinking I was haggling too hard. I ended up paying some boot but very fair. Went and got my checkbook, wrote out the balance.
"Oh by the way, I've got the original butt plate he says. In the case that comes with the rifle." He pulls this out.
P1000994.JPG
P1000994.JPG (154 KiB) Viewed 8050 times
P1000996.JPG
P1000996.JPG (152 KiB) Viewed 8050 times
He turned the case up and the butt plate slides out of the pocket, along with the original (35 caliber) brass cleaning rod.
P1000991.JPG
P1000991.JPG (151.5 KiB) Viewed 8050 times
View of the interior:

I profusely thank him and take the prize home. Wish I'd got his biz card or something, I'd like to communicate to let him know the girl has a good home.
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Re: My first Model 81

Post by 81police »

Wow looks like you got a GREAT early 81, plus a tang sight, plus a case! What a prize. That checkering looks cool, do you have any closeups?

With that 81 as your first, you're probably going to be disappointed if you buy another one, haha :lol:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Did you wear a mask!! :shock: What a steal. Great job.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Dang Carl,

Did you know that the case came with the 81 when you were haggling? That's like when I remember working a deal for a consignment Mauser 98k at a local (overpriced) gunshop. I had noticed that the gun was missing only a sling; for us 98k freaks if the rifle has an original cleaning rod AND an original sling, it's like finding gold.

Anyway, the big surprise was that it was only $425 but I managed to swing it down to $400. Walked away happy to just have a non-import 98k with a few visibly matching numbers.

Got home, took it all apart, and that CE44 was 100% all-matching!
Kept that sweet piece just long enough to enjoy for several years, until something else caught my eye.

Wasn't hard for me to more than double my investment on GB when I auctioned her off, eventually. Course, now I wish I'd never let her go!!

Carl, tell us more about the case - is that something you believe came as a Remington accessory to the gun, or perhaps a period case from the 40's-50's aftermarket? It's truly the most fun part of collecting when "correct" accessories accompany our guns.

Adam

I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I'm fairly certain the case was purchased with the rifle. No documentation to prove it though. the rifle serial #63XX puts it in 1938, and the barrel jacket code & butt plate #s match. :D No serial # on the barrel jacket I have found yet. I've only seen one other case for sale separately, and 2 for sale with rifles. All were JMB Model 8-81s. Care to guess auction values? :?:
To answer some questions:
==> While dickering nothing was said about the case, SURPrize :!: :!:

==> Yes, the mask was a cross between IronMan & Zorro. :roll:

==> The brass cleaning rod is definitely a period piece, never have seen one like it.

==> Incidentally, I found the correct grip cap for the rifle as well, It has a new home.

Is there any interest in these cases? I've relatives that restore Wurlitzers, Rockolas, & Seeburgs. They have resources for leather goods, plating, and high quality reproduction cast parts. No idea about cost for now.
Phyrbird
SOKY
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I have a pair of the leather leg-of-mutton style cases originally intended for double barrels and pump shotguns, but the 81 fits fine. However, they need the attention of someone skilled in leather work as a lot of the stitching is bad, plus other problems. I have no such skill, and am afraid the cost of such repair work will be more than I would be willing to pay. So I'll probably not do anything and attempt selling them on eBay or Gun Broker one of these days.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Dewalt,

I just hooked up with the Mennonite folks, will be taking the case and some other work for them. I'll keep you posted on progress. You note it's slow, they are more than an hour away, no phone, everything is face to face and cash.
For your work on holsters and such you might consider connecting with Amish or Mennonites; they do pretty work. In Texas there should be a lot of tack stores. Whhaa Happiinnd :?: :?:
Anyone in driving distance should visit Phenchem's Tack, (Mennonite) they are just east of Clarksville Tn. You like saddles?? HHOOO Boy they got some of the finest. They can be one of a kind too.
Phyrbird
SOKY