New company for my 35 rem. Krieger conversion 300 savage

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Rock Biter

New company for my 35 rem. Krieger conversion 300 savage

Post by Rock Biter »

I was fortunate to find a 1946 Remington model 81 Krieger conversion in 300 savage. The metal is awesome but someone refinished the stock. They did a nice job however. My 35 Remington now has a companion. They look awfully pretty together. I took it out last week and put a box of Remington 150's through it an it ran flawlessly. I will appreciate the Krieger conversion this year back east during whitetail season. I realize now the ease of reloading the Remington model 81 and the desire of so many model 8 and 81 owners for the Krieger conversion.
I wonder why the designers of the model 81 did not reconfigure the rifle to accept a drop magazine. I know Winchester and even the BAR among many other models had this feature. Makes you scratch your head. Still an awesome rifle.
If only this rifle could talk the hunting stories it could tell. I know I will be adding to them. No, I am not sick of yet, I know reading this forum someone will ask. Lol. Thanks again to a great site.
Attachments
image2.jpg
image2.jpg (135.4 KiB) Viewed 7752 times
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (104.22 KiB) Viewed 7752 times
81police

Re: New company for my 35 rem. Krieger conversion 300 savage

Post by 81police »

Rock Biter wrote:No, I am not sick of yet,
Don't deny the inevitable, embrace the sickness, haha

Really though, congratulations on a very nice Krieger conversion. I share your feelings about the usefulness of a detachable magazine over a fixed box.

In the mid-late 1930's Remington was discussing a possible "Model 82". The proposals for this model would have been long recoil like the 8 & 81, but with a double stack, detachable magazine, cross-bolt safety, redesigned bolt handle (possibly folding type), and the action modified for a more power cartridge...most likely the 30-06. It would have been an expensive, complete redesign of the current 8/81. Instead Remington, since all the tooling was still satisfactory, gave the Model 8 a cosmetic update and continued production as the 81. I'm sure financially it was a good move, as long recoil was on its way out, and gas operated on its way in!

I hope you bag a whitetail with your Krieger, please share pictures with us if you do!!! :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

AhHA :!: :!:
We tried to tell you about the Jackitis :!: :!:
Phyrbird
SOKY
TRX

Post by TRX »

The fixed magazine is one of the few things I don't like about my Model 8. The mag lips are way down there, and I broke a thumbnail once trying to load it. Yeah, I know, but it hurt, and kind of soured my shooting session. Plus my particular rifle seems to have some sharp bits in there too. I imagine I'll get more proficient at it... but I think I understand why Remington set the rifle up to accept stripper clips.

Being able to remove the magazine to load it would be much more convenient. My wife has a (Savage?) .22 rifle like that; it can only be loaded through the breech port with small fingers and determination; pop the mag out and it's easy.
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I have posted this before and I know there are some newcomers, but do not try to load the model 8/81 with the cartridge horizontal. It is very easy to load these rifles by inserting the cartidge VERTICAL near the feed lip or feed springs and leaning it forward. The magazine will almost suck the cartridge in. Try it, you will like it. I can probably load a magazine faster than some other guys can load a stripper clip and then they still have to get the cartriges in the rifle. Go tips are of great value. Be safe and enjoy life. ROB
curdog

Post by curdog »

Rob, you are right about loading the shells vertically. A friend showed me how to do this recently - really a "duh" moment for me. They load as easily as anything else.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I'm not much new ;) but I still gota try that one. Thanks
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine