1906 .35Rem going to the range tomorrow.

Posts about the Model 8
visutrac

1906 .35Rem going to the range tomorrow.

Post by visutrac »

Well, I just can't wait anymore.

I finally found 2 boxes of 35 Remington
200gr and 150gr.

Mr. 3 digit is going to punch some paper .. and hopefully ring a plate a few times.

imfuncity

Re: 1906 .35Rem going to the range tomorrow.

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed! Go for it... will be watching for the results. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
visutrac

Post by visutrac »

Drat, Cowboy action shoot today.
Range tied up.

But there is always next weekend!
visutrac

Post by visutrac »

Well, the 108 year old girl did her part.
Me, maybe not so much.

between 120-125 yards
4" groups
6 rds of 200gr Remington factory
first round was a test shot because it was likely that the firearm had not been shot in over 50 years.
(not sure which was first, no one was on the spotting scope telling me)

again 120-125 yards
4 inch group.
5 rds of 150gr Remington factory

Gun sure seems to like 200gr. better in my estimation.

200gr was little low left.
150gr was high right.

After shooting iron sights today, AR,Mosin Rifle & Carbine, Garand, M1A, Cetme and OMG a .500 S&W hand cannon, I was really wishing I had a scope.

But at least I'm shooting Minute of Deer.

These old eyes at that range couldn't tell if i was hitting paper. Well, with the exception of the .35 and the hand cannon. Those made a big enough splash on the dirty bird targets.

Ah, to be young again .. well, maybe just their eyes. I don't think I want to do the rest of it over.
visutrac

Post by visutrac »

Oh, and just in case anyone wants to know, 8mm stripper clips hold and feed the .35rem just fine into an early model 8.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

You mentioned hand cannons. You should try the 460S&W, same kick, flatter trajectory, up to a 400g bullet if you can find them in .452. :D
I like the 35Rem in the Contender super 14 as well, though it has hazards for your elbow if you lay it on the table. :oops:
Other favorites are 4 win mag and 454 Casull. They all go boom, lots of nice muzzle fireworks, and when they get there :twisted: :!: :!:
Got my first deer with 45 Win Mag at 41 paces.
Phyrbird
SOKY
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"...try the 460S&W, same kick, flatter trajectory..." just got mine and all three types of ammo, plan to fire it up Monday or Tuesday! 8-) Don't know what I was thinking, I hate recoil! :o
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

As you said "Minute of Deer" is not bad at all. Old eyes just don`t seem fair now that we have more time to shoot. You guys and these "Hand Cannons" really have me wondering.Are all of you masochists? I stopped after gaining passing skills with a 41 Mag and fair skill with a 44Mag. Knowing how hard it was to control flinching with those two I`m afraid it would be an eyes closed episode with those cannons. My hat off to those that can control them.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Post by 81police »

4-5" groups is about par for these rifles, though like you mentioned with a scope they're capable of a little better. Great shooting for real :D

Love those early "tear drop safety" Model 8's!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
visutrac

Post by visutrac »

Here is the bad part.
I was going to sell her due to not being able to find ammo in my area.

So now i've bought a reloader, searching for brass, ordering a tumbler, looking for primers, projectiles and powder.

I'm thinking that I've contracted Jackitis but it's currently just in the reloading stage. This is going to go bad if I develop a full blown case and need things that fire .35 Remington.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Au contraire mon ami... this will END WELL as you realize resistance is futile! ;) I'm also in the throws of gathering the reloading stuff. (Yup, Joe, been doing it for a few years now. :oops: ) Unfortunately our friend Jack of Jackitis has fought off the reloading disease... so far... but he ain't dead yet!
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey imfuncity,

You are right on both counts, but the move to Illinois has about done me in. All moved in and now trying to set up the "man cave". :D What a challenge that is turning out to be. :o All my organization to keep things in order got all screwed up with too much help from the relatives who were more than eager to help me unload three loads of self loaded items on the largest Penske trucks and 4 loads of a 24 foot covered car hauler. :? I am really getting too old for all this activity but I am now fully moved and an official resident of Illinois. Bummer!

I might be getting a step closer to the reloading process. I had a close friend in Georgia take on the challenge of getting me a new set of dies for all the Remington calibers for the 8 & 81 and he was successful in getting a complete set from the manufacturer. :D There are a few guys in my new immediate who load and said they would be happy to re-load for me. I think this as far as I am going to go with reloading.

Now that most of the pressure is off of me from the move, I hope to spend a little more time on the forum. If there are any members who are in the central Illinois region, give me a shout. I would like to meet up and share some stories.

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Sorry to hear about IL Jack. (24yrs ago same situation happen to me & CA, longest I've ever been any place... now what do I do?) Glad to hear you are about settled. I'm confident Jackitias is about to resurface.