Buffer springs

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
curdog

Buffer springs

Post by curdog »

I am kind of new to Model 8s, and have a handful of spares I've picked up.

My question is: are the 25 and 30/32 buffer springs the same? I have a 35 spring, and it is much heavier than the other two I have, but I'm not sure what caliber they are from
ROBOPUMP

Re: Buffer springs

Post by ROBOPUMP »

You are correct in that the buffer spring for the smaller caliber rifles, 25, 30 and 32 REM is not as heavy as the one for the larger calibers. The smaller caliber rifles have a buffer spring that has about 7 and a half flights or rounds. The heavier buffer spring for the 35 Rem and the 300 Savage have about 6+ flights or rounds. Be safe and enjoy life. ROB
curdog

Post by curdog »

So, would the same buffer spring be used for a .25 and the .32? Even though the .32 bullet is half as heavy again.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I don't know yet, but I will. there are all the calibers here to be checked.
When I pull one apart I take dimensional notes. I have documented a difference of over all length of a used 35 Rem recoil spring vs new.
Phyrbird
SOKY
curdog

Post by curdog »

One I have here has 13 coils, and is quite soft. I can fully compress it between my fingers. This may be for a 25.
Simmer down

Post by Simmer down »

The model 8 is new to me. I typically replace mag and recoil springs in any ancient auto before I shoot it. My regular sources, Wolff and Numrich, don't carry these. Any leads for a 30 Rem?
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I've taken down several 25, 30, 32s - over a variety of manufacture dates - all had almost identical spring dimensions.

"One I have here has 13 coils, and is quite soft. I can fully compress it between my fingers."
Can't imagine anyone manual compression the recoil spring, we must be talking about different springs.

"I typically replace mag and recoil springs in any ancient auto before I shoot it."
Think you'll find the originals very stout and no need to replace them, even on the oldest rifles.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Simmer down

Post by Simmer down »

imfuncity wrote:
"I typically replace mag and recoil springs in any ancient auto before I shoot it."
Think you'll find the originals very stout and no need to replace them, even on the oldest rifles.
That works out since I can't find any.
curdog

Post by curdog »

imfuncity

The 13 coil spring I can compress is the buffer spring, the first one you load in the jacket, before you load the recoil spring case and the recoil spring. It is quite easily compressed between your fingers - it's only about 2 1/2" long. I pulled a 25 down to check.

The recoil spring for the 25 is made from .045" wire, instead of .055" wire that the larger calibers have. The spring diameter is smaller, requiring a different recoil spring case.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

curdog - "The recoil spring for the 25 is made from .045" wire, instead of .055" wire that the larger calibers have."
Got it, I was thinking the big thick one at the bottom that goes in first, you must be are talking the that comes out first and flies all over the shop if one isn't careful. :lol: Agree with the diameter different also, same with mine.

Simmer down - nice how that works out. I did have a couple from the 20s, where the springs were so rusted I could hardly get them out of the barrel jacket... didn't find that out until after I shot one - and even it functioned fine. Cleaned those two up, plus checked all the rest, no others with any major rust or crude - lightly oiled all I had, no issues.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine