Proper stock for early model 8

Posts about the Model 8
MBiz

Proper stock for early model 8

Post by MBiz »

Good evening

Lately I have acquired an early model 8 SN 29XX in caliber 30, the bolt is stamped 30-30. Unfortunately the stock is missing. Browsing your site and the web, I can't identify with certainty the appropriate wood stock for this model. It seems that there are several stock versions possible. Could someone help me to résolve this enigma by pointing me to a reference ? Thank you for you help
Sarge756

Re: Proper stock for early model 8

Post by Sarge756 »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3777

The above link may give you what you need. Photos would help us advise, but for now ,if your 8 is a standard model and has a straight lower tang it would be a straight grip buttstock.The semi-pistol grip has a curved lower tang. In addition to the source recommended for repro stocks in the link you might inquire with Macon gunstocks and Silverhills gunstocks. Good luck and we would love to see photos of your progress.There is also a listing for a forend in the for sale section of this forum.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
MBiz

Post by MBiz »

Good evening,
Thank you for this information. I will soon receive this model 8 and I will post pictures. The gun in question is indeed a straight grip grade A. This early model make it I believe a nice collectible. In any case it appears that all model 8 are collectible for aficionado. I greatly appreciate the information that you share with me. I will keep you informe on the restoration progress.
MBiz

Post by MBiz »

Good evening,
Here is the 1907 model 8 I was referring to. I managed to get information about the stock and buttplate (on the left in the picture). Now I am encountering some difficulties when I tried to assemble the barrel to the receiver. It appears that the front part of the bolt is turned sideways and what looks like a fork is protruding in front of the bolt (not sure about proper terminology since English is not my first language). I post two receivers side by side, the right one assembled well. Can someone one help with this problem? I am missing the screw that holds the stock any idea were I might find that? And finally taking pictures of the buttplate I noticed that the back of the model 81 buttplate had a serial number but the model 8 plates did not. Could this be because the model 8 buttplate was made of plastic? Thanks again to everyone for your help with this restoration project.

Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

the problem with the bolt is not hard, pull the bolt back about half way, take a wood dowel or something non-scratch and rotate the bolt lugs vertical.
Serial #s: the butt plates were all numbered to the rifles, as were the butt stocks in the bottom tang groove.
Sometimes other parts were numbered with the last 3 numbers of the Ser#.

I don't recommend punching numbers in the plastic butt plates, they crack if struck too hard.
It's good to see you bringing one of our ladies back to life...
Phyrbird
SOKY
MBiz

Post by MBiz »

Thank you, any idea about the screw holding the buttstock?
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

When needing a threaded fix for one of these fine ole girls, several of us have contacted Joe Hulett at http://www.aperturesnmore.com/ - if he doesn't have the screw you need on hand, I believe he has the length and thread count to make it for you.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
model63

Post by model63 »

That is a really early 30 caliber. Bummer the barrel shroud is not engraved 30-30 Rem. Be careful on firing, as the barrel assembly may not be original to the bolt and the headspace should probably be checked. Best of luck on the project.