POE Model 8 on GB

Posts about the Model 8
koz5614

POE Model 8 on GB

Post by koz5614 »

I saw what appeared to be an authentic POE Model 8 on a recent GB auction. Funny, but I actually toyed with the idea of dropping the $3995 starting bid (then I quickly snapped back to reality). The gun ended up going for $4400, and I wondered if any forum member was the winning bidder. If so, please post some more pics of your amazing purchase. I realize the guns are rare, but are the POE Model 8s more desirable than the Remington-produced 81 Police versions? I like my 81 because of the "POLICE GUN -PROPERTY OF..." markings, but I think having the original Model 8 version might rate a little higher on the cool-meter. What say you, O' wise forum members?
81police

Re: POE Model 8 on GB

Post by 81police »

Hey Koz! It's been a while!

I didn't see the POE 8 until after the auction had ended, but WOW what a cherry rifle. Definitely one of the nicest POE's I've ever seen. And considering a solitary POE magazine sold for $2500 (I think) a few weeks ago, this was a decent deal, especially considering the condition of the rifle and the uncommon POE caliber of 30Rem. The rifle looked like it sat in a safe for most of the last century.
are the POE Model 8s more desirable than the Remington-produced 81 Police versions?
That's a great question. And I guess the answer varies from collector to collector. The POE 8's are definitely more rare and I think unique in that they were purchased from Remington and converted by POE. But if you look at sell prices alone, the two guns are about even. I think what you said, the "POLICE GUN" markings and department provenance put them at equal levels, at least when reviewing what people have paid for both 8 and 81 POE's. Me personally? I like them both of course! :D

What do the rest of y'all think?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

Yoo-hoo ... Jack. Cam's calling.
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

And don't forget the FBI rifle. I need it by the end of next month.
Joe Kent

Post by Joe Kent »

Does anyone have a link to that completed auction? Thanks in advance, Joe.
koz5614

Post by koz5614 »

Cam, I couldn't believe the price the magazine went for. (It sounds strange to say that $4400 is a "deal"). That gun was super clean. Most interesting to me was that the listing indicated the rifle belonged to a local Police Agency. I'd like to see if the PD had any photos or documentation of the gun "back in the day", when it was a viable weapon in their arsenal. I've been wanting to contact the LA Sheriff's Dept archives to see if they have any old photos of their Police 81s. Have any POE/Police 81 owners contacted the departments their guns served in to look up their history?
81police

Post by 81police »

Jack aka the heartbreaker aka the deal sealer. Jim keep tryin.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Fellas,

Y'all are attaching to many handles for me. :? Not only do I have to fight the "jackitis", it appears that the dreaded jackitis has some side effects with which I now have to contend. :o Let's see now, there is the "deal-sealer, jackster, heartbreaker, jackstein, sob, just to name a few. After careful reflective thinking, I guess I deserve all the handles. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Jim, I don't know if I would plan on having that FBI by the July gun show. Those rifles are just too hard to find but I may consider a loaner for your show, but the collateral might entail half your cattle herd. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have just about completed my relocation from Georgia to Illinois. The move has kept me off the computer and I know I have missed some opportunities to add to the stable. That being said, let me thank those of you who have tipped me off when a rifle was being offered that I might have an interest in acquiring. Thank goodness there were not many such tips and I guess I can understand the reason after the recent postings. Most of you know that I am always interested and will give into the jackitis. ;)

It will take me a while to get my new man cave fixed the way I want it, but I have great hopes it will be finished by early fall. In the meantime, I won't have a lot of time available to pursue computer activities and postings to the forum. I have made what I think are some nice additions to the collection and will make some postings when things settle down a little. Drop me an email and I will certainly answer.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653, deal-sealer, heart breaker, jackster, jackstein, sob
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Oh Grand and Mighty Jack of the Models 8 & 81,
(Yeah I'm laying it on thick) I have some trading material we might discuss. You may have seen my first M81 in 35Rem with the nice checkering. I'd like to find a nice Model 8 in 35 Rem with the semi pistol grip and perhaps checkered stocks. It should have the 3 holes already drilled to mount a Lyman 41 receiver sight. That may make it not original for your collection. I've hankering for a sister for the M81. There are 2 30Rem rifles available for sure maybe a third; a couple of Savage 12g scatter guns, and perhaps a Winchester M100 (308). If any pique your interest, give a holler.
Frankly, I'm having a hard time getting to reloading for 25, 30, 32 Rem cartridges. I like that I can buy 35Rem most of the time. There are plenty of 30Rem brass around for now. Unfortunately it takes time and fire-forming to make the others from 30Rem. I've only found 46 rounds of 32Rem and none of the 25 Rem.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Joe Kent

Post by Joe Kent »

Once again, anyone have the link to the police rifle in completed auctions? Thanks again for any help you can give. Joe
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Joe,

A PM has been sent.

Regards,

jack1653
Joe Kent

Post by Joe Kent »

Jack1653, Thanks so very much. All my very best, Joe. PS ,welcome to Il. If you are downstate we are pretty gun friendly, but if you are in the CHICAGO area not even kinda. Again ,thanks and all my best, Joe.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Pm sent.