Hello Model 8 Forum

New Member Introductions
Shortstroke

Hello Model 8 Forum

Post by Shortstroke »

Hello my name is Andy and I'm from Vermont and just purchased a Model 8 in 35 Rem, I found this site when trying to find serial number production dates and according to the serial number mine is a 1919 415xx. The problem is I'm having a hard time finding ammo in 35 Rem in my area and am wondering if you guys know anywhere that has any. Also I believe the original rear buckhorn style sight is missing and a peep sight was added, anywhere I could find an original rear sight for it. Can't wait to learn more about these wonderful rifles.

Thanks
Andy
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (424.47 KiB) Viewed 7738 times
duckcreekdick

Re: Hello Model 8 Forum

Post by duckcreekdick »

Welcome aboard, Andy! I just signed up here a couple of days ago myself. Nice looking Model 8 you have there. I'm thinking the tang sight that is on it now would serve you better than any open sight. My tang-sighted rifle has a well designed steel sight blank held in place by two screws where the old open sight once was. It probably would not be too hard for you to fashion something like this to cover up the area for cosmetic purposes.
.35 Rem. brass and ammo seem to be in short supply. Midway and Graf and Sons look to be out or backordered. You might go to a local gun show to see if something comes up.
Shortstroke

Post by Shortstroke »

Yeah I've looked everywhere online for 35 Rem and nothing except buffalo bore which is too over pressured for a model 8, luckily today we called a gunshop about 1 1/2 hrs from here that about a year ago I bought a mint 1961 A5 Sweet 16 from. It's the smallest gunshop you could imagine maybe 250 sq ft. He said he had two boxes of Winchester 200 grain round nose 35 Rem in stock, so I'm gonna go pick those up today and hopefully try the Model 8 later today or tomorrow after sporting clays practice. $43 a box!!!! Expensive but I would like to at least have something on hand.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I too had to buy an expensive box of ammo just for some brass for the M81. Now that I've a few pieces of brass to reload I'm not too worried about availability of components.

FWIW, I didn't want to run high pressure stuff though the antique either, so I pulled the facotry ammo apart and down loaded it by 10% and it cycled just fine.
81police

Post by 81police »

Congrats on your new-to-you "springpole" as we sometimes call them! The Model 8 (and 81) are among the most unique autoloaders in American history. And the 35Rem really is the most quintessential chambering of all 8's and 81's.

I have purchased ammo via www.midwayusa.com and when it's backordered I just sign up for their "in stock notification".

The original rear sight was probably an elevation adjustable semi-buckhorn. You can occasionally find these on websites such as ebay or gunbroker

Welcome aboard! :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Shortstroke

Post by Shortstroke »

Just went out and put 4 rounds through it without a problem. Here are some better photos of the gun.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (484.26 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
Shortstroke

Post by Shortstroke »

Other side
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (290.25 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (290.25 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,really
Your rifle is very cool. Anyone would be proud to own it in my opinion. It has a highly desirable Lyman tang peep sight, and also the fairly scarse top tang rifle type buttplate.
These buttplates are not too often seen today on model 8s. It also has the "Whelen "type fluted stock, which seems to be only seen regularly, on mid production rifles. Congrats on having a really unique model 8
Thanks for your time ,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Trinidad Bill

Post by Trinidad Bill »

I really like that buttstock! I also believe that tang sight is stock! Others know more than I do.