Newbie member!

New Member Introductions
duckcreekdick

Newbie member!

Post by duckcreekdick »

Hello, all Remington 8/81 admirers! A little about myself. I'm a 68 yr.old codger living up in the high plains of northeast Colorado. Semi-retired now, I've spent most of my life working with fireams, first as a gunsmithing student at Trinidad in 1965, then in the military as an armorer and winding up in the gun department at a nearby large retail store in Sidney, Nebraska. Now I do gunsmithing on the side just to keep my hand in the game.
I've owned two Model 81's, both in .300 Savage. My present 81 is a dandy, with a stamping of "ej", dating it to October of 1940. It came with the nice Lyman tang sight and is in great, not-messed-with condition. It has what appears to be original factory checkering of the forend and grip but there is no stamping on the receiver to indicate the rifle to be an 81B. That kind of has me curious and perhaps when I get some pictures posted I can get some more expert feedback from all of you. Thanks in advance.
Trinidad Bill

Re: Newbie member!

Post by Trinidad Bill »

Welcome aboard! The 8 and 81 are new to me but I fell for them as soon as I laid my hands on the Model 8 I purchased!

I am down here in Trinidad. You went to a great school.
duckcreekdick

Post by duckcreekdick »

I'll try now to attach a couple of photos of my Rem. Model 81

Duckcreekdick
Attachments
Remington 81 004.jpg
Remington 81 004.jpg (293.95 KiB) Viewed 4944 times
duckcreekdick

Post by duckcreekdick »

One more try at attaching photos.
Attachments
Remington 81 002.jpg
Remington 81 002.jpg (364.83 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
Remington 81 001.jpg
Remington 81 001.jpg (334.65 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
Trinidad Bill

Post by Trinidad Bill »

That is a gorgeous set of furniture! I was getting ready to ask if they were after market when I re-read your post indicating stock.

Very nice!
duckcreekdick

Post by duckcreekdick »

Yes, the wood is in great shape and I had just a little doubt about the checkering pattern and the 81 Standard or 81B grade question. I just now pulled the buttstock off and the serial number is stamped on the lower tang area of the buttstock, as it should be. This might just be a standard 81 rifle with factory option checkering.
Anyone out there who can shed light on Remington repair codes or stamps?