New member and Model 8 owner!

New Member Introductions
Trinidad Bill

New member and Model 8 owner!

Post by Trinidad Bill »

I walked into my local small town gun store last Friday and there it was... an old Remington...the ones I had seen in all of the old Remington posters. I did not know what it was other than an old Remington chambered in .35 Remington.

I went home and started to do some research on what this rifle was and is. Another John Browning design and I was impressed.

A couple of years ago I went on a search for a Browning A5. I purchased one and wound up with several Remington Model 11s and a Savage Model 720! I have been pheasant hunting with my Browning A5 for the last couple of years. I love the A5 and the design.

Now... here is a rifle that was the predecessor to the A5! I had no idea such a rifle existed but I had to have it.

I went back to my small local gun store today and purchased the Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington! The serial number and stampings, thanks to this web site, puts it born in 1932.

I would post a picture but... the first thing I did was take the barrell off to clean it and I have been unable to get the darn thing back together. The bolt seems to contact the barrel before it gets completely into battery.

As soon as I get it back together, I will post a picture.
big al

Re: New member and Model 8 owner!

Post by big al »

Here is what John Henwood says in his great model 8 book" The bolt head must be in the forward position with the locking lugs vertical to reassemble the barrel to the receiver.If the bolt has been pushed back into the carrier so the locking lugs are horizontal , simply retract the bolt partially and use small screwdriver to push the bolt head forward, at the same time rotating it.
Hope it helps and welcome to the forum.
Big Al
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
Welcome to our forum/website. We are pretty big fans of John M Browning here for sure. My own collection is centered around his I genius designed firearms. Colts,Winchesters,Remingtons,and Brownings are all included in my herd. My own collecting also started with the Auto 5 shotgun, and lots of pheasant/quail hunting. I believe,based on my research,that the A-5 and the Autoloading Hi power rifle were actually parallel developments by JMB. If you check all the patent dates, you will see that they are all very close together. Some people even believe that the rifle was with him when he made the trip to Belgium/FN to sell the idea of the A-5 to them after the famous split with Winchester and the death of Marcellus Hartley of Remington.Enjoy your guns and good luck to you in your collecting.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Trinidad Bill

Post by Trinidad Bill »

big al wrote:Here is what John Henwood says in his great model 8 book" The bolt head must be in the forward position with the locking lugs vertical to reassemble the barrel to the receiver.If the bolt has been pushed back into the carrier so the locking lugs are horizontal , simply retract the bolt partially and use small screwdriver to push the bolt head forward, at the same time rotating it.
Big Al
Big Al... Thanks for the tip! I was reading the Model 8 manual that has been post on this forum and I suspected the bolt from the first couple of paragraphs. I will give that a try this morning.

Roger... Thanks for the welcome. It sounds like you have been down this road long before me. I suspect another Model 8/81 maybe in my future! It can be a sickness you know!
81police

Post by 81police »

Bill you found a fine rifle it sounds like! I too like the Browning A5 and have always referred to the Model 8 as the "rifle version of the A5". That helps people to understand better I have found.

These are certainly fun guns to shoot and I doubt this will be your last Model 8 :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Trinidad Bill

Post by Trinidad Bill »

big al wrote:Here is what John Henwood says in his great model 8 book" The bolt head must be in the forward position with the locking lugs vertical to reassemble the barrel to the receiver.If the bolt has been pushed back into the carrier so the locking lugs are horizontal , simply retract the bolt partially and use small screwdriver to push the bolt head forward, at the same time rotating it.
Big Al
Well that was easy enough! I feel a bit foolish for not reaching in there and turning the locking lugs on the bolt.

Put it back together, loaded a couple of Remington Core-Loks and bang, sweet!

Here she is

Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

OOOHHH :!:
The scabbard :!: :!:

Could you make me a brown paper pattern, please. I've some Mennonites locally that do primo leather work. We might be able to get some made.

Just send me a PM, I'll get you email and or address to mail to....
Thanks
Phyrbird
SOKY
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome to the sickness. Very nice "starter 8"... they do have a tendency to sprout offspring.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Phirbird...That is a good looking scabbard .For sure heavy duty and meant to last but may more likely be for a scoped bolt action rifle. Good looking regardless with that leather lace stitching.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Trinidad Bill

Post by Trinidad Bill »

Phyrbird wrote:OOOHHH :!:
The scabbard :!: :!:

Could you make me a brown paper pattern, please. I've some Mennonites locally that do primo leather work. We might be able to get some made.

Just send me a PM, I'll get you email and or address to mail to....
Thanks

Phyrbird... I can do that if you would like. I will take a picture of the Makers Mark. If I remember correctly this is a fairly well known and sought after scabbard. I picked it up from a neighbor 20 years ago and just use it! It is long enough to accommodate my Browning 1886 45/70, .54 Cal Hawken and Browning 1885 High Wall. I love to hunt from horseback!
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Here in S Ky the horseback hunting is AAHHH limited. The only place you might try it is Land Between the Lakes. They might have regs against it there too. :(
Phyrbird
SOKY
Trinidad Bill

Post by Trinidad Bill »

Phyrbird wrote:Here in S Ky the horseback hunting is AAHHH limited. The only place you might try it is Land Between the Lakes. They might have regs against it there too. :(

Bummer, I am sure you have a few horses out there.

Here is a close up of the Makers Mark. Let me know if you want me to trace a pattern for you.