Model 8 on Board Banner

Posts about the Model 8
rem81auto

Model 8 on Board Banner

Post by rem81auto »

It's probably been discussed before and I missed it. I would like someone to tell me a bit about the model 8 on the board's banner. Tks
81police

Re: Model 8 on Board Banner

Post by 81police »

I believe it's a pre-WWI, No. 3 "Special" Grade ( C grade). Member 2verpsters knows more about it than I do though.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
2verpsters

Post by 2verpsters »

Hi there rem81auto. That is my 8 pictured and it is a true C grade. Marked so on the wood like it should be. Serial number is 13870 which puts it approx 1909 manufacture. It's a 30Rem, marked 30-30 on the barrel extension. Gun is probably close to 98%, shows just some carry wear on the top front of the receiver and bottom of the mag, the common carry point. Hard to see how it got even a little carry where as the checkering is like brand new, so sharp that it catches on your gloves a little bit. It came to me as pictured, all I did to it was add a period Lyman fold down rear sight to compliment the Lyman tang sight and front sight. Feel free to ask any other questions either here on the forum or PM, it doesn't bother me to answer most stuff right here on the forum.

Thanks for the interest.

Pete.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Pete, tks for the info. I would have to say that's now.... My favorite Model 8 ... period !!!
2verpsters

Post by 2verpsters »

I would have to say it is mine also. It's definitely the jewel of my collection. It will probably stay that way as C Grades are about the limit of my wallet. Although, based on some of the bidding I see on the auction sights, a nice plain old A grade might become un-affordable before to long. That is actually the 1st true C grade I have ever handled or seen up close, they seem as rare as the higher grades as far as production numbers go. I do have some nice 8's that are factory checkered, but they are nothing but A grades that someone paid extra for to have them decked out. Once you've seen the wood on the higher grades, it leaves little doubt about whether you have a fancy A or a C grade. The engraving on the rest of the grades gets rid of all confusion.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Pete,
I would love to find an 8 like that sometime, but in the meantime could you post more pics of our favorite. ???
2verpsters

Post by 2verpsters »

I'll dig it out of the safe in the near future and post some more pics for you, not a problem.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Tks, I am looking forward to the pictures.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

rem81auto wrote:Tks, I am looking forward to the pictures.
Me too!

(Excuse me a minute while I wipe the drool off the keyboard.) I assumed the gun on the banner was a picture from a book!! It never occurred to me that someone actually owned it, wow! Way to go Pete! Love the partial swirl on the butt stock.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine