A Model 81 "Rigged for Pig"

Hunting pictures of your Remington Autoloader
81police

A Model 81 "Rigged for Pig"

Post by 81police »

After being ridiculed by various forum members for being an admin here and NOT using an 8 or 81 of any kind for hunting...I decided to rig one for pig. Being a "black rifle" guy, I wanted to get away from scopes so, I finally went old school with an iron sighted rifle.

Rigged for Pig...

The rifle is a Model 81 chambered in the hard hitting 300 Savage. This particular one already had the Krieger detachable magazine conversion.

The gun had a factory front swivel in the barrel jacket, but the rear swivel had been removed many years ago. Originals are not easy to find, but I knew my best shot was our good friends over at S & S Hunt Club who were able to supply me a new, old stock swivel! I wanted a vintage sling so I contacted another well sourced member, Jack1653 who just happened to have a vintage 1" leather Bucheimer sling.

The rifle already had a nice Marbles full buckhorn rear, but I didn't want the factory front sight. I ordered a HiViz fiberoptic front to match the overall height of the factory sight. These are bright GREEN

The HUNT...

Dad and I had setup a corn feeder locally, a place we had never hog hunted prior. To stay minimalistic our blinds consisted of green lawn chairs backed into Ashe Juniper trees. I sat down with the wind in my face and not 3 minutes passed when this boar & equal sized sow stepped out behind a thicket of junipers to my right! I was caught off guard, especially considering this was my first time hunting this location. I slowly leveled the rifle, picking up the HiVIz sight with ease, then squeezed the trigger as the boar turned broadside at 15 yards. The 300 Savage thundered as a 180gr. soft point zipped through the pig who reacted like I missed. Unbeknownst to me, in the moment of excitement, my shot was low, taking out the pig's heart. As he bolted away, the 81's action had already cycled and I was already swinging that HiViz sight back on him. I fired my 2nd soft point which hit the pig but again he didn't studder. As he reached the tree line I heard crashing. The blood trail was unreal and he only made it 10 yards from my initial shot. He weighed 160lbs.

So there you go, hope y'all enjoyed the story. A big thank you especially to my dad for all his help with the feeder setup and tinkering with the rifle, but also to S&S Hunt Club and Jack1653 for helping me put all this together. Now can I go back to my AR15? haha

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
rem81auto

Re: A Model 81 "Rigged for Pig"

Post by rem81auto »

Well Done :D
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Finally. :D

" Now can I go back to my AR15?" ...huh? Kids... ya never learn!

PS Love the pictures and the story.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Fred

Post by Fred »

Good shooting! Nice to see it green there in Texas too! Thank you for sharing your hunt with us.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I like those fibre optic sights 8-) I have a set on a Puma 454 Casull lever action rifle. They help older eyes greatly.
A bowling pin doesn't stand a chance :!: :!:
The bad part is after 3-4 rounds all you got is splinters, no target left. :lol:
Phyrbird
SOKY
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey 81police,

It had to be the sling that caused this outcome :lol: :lol:

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

that sling had a LOT to do with it Jack!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Thanks for sharing the great pictures and the story of your "long over do" hunt with the Model 81 Kreiger Cam. ;) That's a great looking Model 81 & we were very happy to help you with the part to get it "Rigged for Pig" sir.

We certainly do appreciate all of the help that you have given us along the way Cam. We're looking forward to more great hunting stories & pictures of your time afield with family & friends.

Enjoy Life, Bob & Jeff @ S and S HUNTCLUB
olskool

Post by olskool »

don't go back, stay where the fun is!
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
81police

Post by 81police »

olskool wrote:don't go back, stay where the fun is!
The Black rifle is a killing machine, it's just so hard to put it down :shock:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

81, what brand/model/size fiber optic front sight did you go with?
I need that same one on mine.
Thanks.
oldschool
81police

Post by 81police »

http://www.hivizsights.com/products/rif ... ovm-1.html

I think the height was 380 but u should measure yours to confirm!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jezzliam

Post by jezzliam »

Well done. I really miss hunting, wish I can do next year.
I don't have to be careful, I've got a gun. :D
Matt Groening cheap pocket knives