Need help. 81 stock

Items for sale or trade
Rock Biter

Need help. 81 stock

Post by Rock Biter »

Hello all. I need some guidance. I am still new to the forum but I am hooked on these model 81's. I have found a model 81 in 300 savage. (Just a shooter) Bad news, the stock and forearm (cracked) and butchered. They rattle worse than my first Mercury I owned. Long story short, can anyone guide me to a replacement used or new stock for a model 81? I wish I could say money is no option. I don't mind refinishing an older stock or inletting a new one. I have twenty rounds of 30 Remington to cushion the blow for trade. 170 core lock, not sure old stock or reld. Thank for any input. Jim.
jack1653

Re: Need help. 81 stock

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Jim,

You can find some stocks on Gun Broker being offered by "robert the bruce". He is also a member of the forum under " He does excellent work and you won't be disappointed. Do the search "Remington 81" on Gun Broker. There is a listing for stock under the same search for a firm in North Carolina that also afters stocks and forearms. Good Luck.

Regards,

jack1653
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Jim,
I have dealt with the people Jack referred to in N.C. Havn`t ordered 8 or 81 stocks from them but was pleased with the Winchester 1885 and a Winchester 52 stock that I bought. If yours is a shooter grade then you may want to opt for one of them. They are Silver Hill Gunstocks and Rob is the person to contact. His email last time I contacted him: rob@gunville.com The price is considerably lower than the hand made and fitted stocks that our friend Bob offers. However his stocks are worth every penny if restoring a nice rifle .
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Rock Biter

Post by Rock Biter »

Thank you gentlemen. I will look into your suggestions. Very much appreciated. If I obtain the stocks I will have to post some before and afters. Thanks again. Jim.