Recoil Spring Compression Tool

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
81police

Recoil Spring Compression Tool

Post by 81police »

For anybody that's reassembled their barrel jacket you'll know it's a pain to install the recoil spring along with the nut washer and jacket bushing. One of these tools can really help make the process easier...I don't reassemble a jacket without one. No more springs flying across the room! Anyways here's a video of their use,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3liHQ4RbcI

Bob with Circle B Ranch manufactures the oak version,
circlebranch@cox.net
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Re: Recoil Spring Compression Tool

Post by jack1653 »

Hey 81police,

A very good instructional video of how to use the tools. They sure make reassembly very easy. I also use my tool for the disassembly AFTER I have loosened the barrel jacket nut. You really can control the springs better than what I use to do by putting a rag over the end of muzzel and turning the jacket nut untill everything would fly apart into the rag.

I haven't purchased one of circlebranch's tools yet, but knowing Bob's excellent craftmanship, I am sure it is of high quality. I would suspect that Bob's tool would be less likely to damage the metal because it is made of wood where the metal screwdriver has to be used with a little caution to prevent the metal from marring the metal components. I do not have a lathe any longer so the screwdrive modification was easier for me than trying to use an old time drawknife in lieu of the lathe to make the wooden version.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention 2verpsters contribution to my tool. Pete kind of give me the idea one time when I had talked with him about the trouble I was having in reassembly. He told me that he had made a tool that when inserted into the muzzel would compress the spring to allow for easy turning of the barrel jacket nut. When I sent Pete my pictures of the tool that I gave to Cameron, he told me it was very similar to the one he had made for himself.

Thanks again Cameron for making and sharing the video.

Regards,

Jack
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

Great video Cameron! Bob's 8 & 81 tools are all very useful and always top quality. For those of you who regularly disassemble your rifles, his tools make the task much quicker and less likely to bugger your gun. For those who have been relunctant to try disassembly, the tools along with Bob's Youtube videos demonstrating proper tool usage, make it much less intimidating. I appreciate both the tools and the videos. Thanks Guys!
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
Fred

Post by Fred »

Being uncharacteristically under-tooled at the time, I improvised a with a wooden dowel and a fender washer to align the spring and compress it without it ejecting out the side when compressed. Non-marring, cheap, and effective.

For a 67 year old gun my M81 is in wonderful condition! Hardly anything to clean up in the barrel jacket assembly, just applied some fresh lube.