FN for sale on Gunbroker ends 3/24/2014

VTRem35

FN for sale on Gunbroker ends 3/24/2014

Post by VTRem35 »

Not my gun, know nothing about it.
Just a heads up if someone is interested.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =401957296
Roger

Re: FN for sale on Gunbroker ends 3/24/2014

Post by Roger »

Well fellow members,
After waffling around for about 2 days, I finally pulled the trigger on the buy it now button for this FN1900 auction.
This is the holy grail of m-8/81 collecting,and I hope this all works out for me. Time will tell.I'll keep you all informed as to the progress of this transaction.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
VTRem35

Post by VTRem35 »

Congrats Roger! Good luck!!!!
81police

Post by 81police »

Congrats Roger! The "creme de la creme" of 8/81 collecting is on its way :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ranman

Post by ranman »

All right Roger! :mrgreen: hope we get to see lots of pics on this beauty. Congrats
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks guys,
I'm really hoping for a good outcome on this deal. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it next week. I'm sure i'll have some questions for you guys since it's my first and only FN1900. It'll feel right at home in my gunroom though with all my Auto 5 shotguns.My oldest son owns one of the really early auto 5 messenger guns from the first 10,000 gun order from JMB himself so maybe he will bring it over to visit it's cousin (lol).
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Good for you Roger.....You saved me....I was weakening. I need to add that elusive Mod 8 in 25 Remington before striking out into the "high cotton" of FN collecting.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Post by 81police »

get the FN's now while you can, I betcha someday you'll see them for $3000-4000 all day along. That's my prediction anyways!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Hey Roger,
You have a very nice FN1900 from looks of the GB auction pictures, I only know of one equal or better and Jack has that one in his collection of FNs, it used to reside here but alas, let it go and your son has a next to impossible Messinger model A5 Browning from Brownings !st contract, I have never seen one, how about pictures of it along with your FN1900. I have 2 A5s from 1st contract and one still has the Browning winged decal on butt stock but no Messinger and have all 4 (Standard, Special, Trap and Riot) variations of Remingtons Pre 11 A5s and have seen several Pre 11 Riot models for sale but never a 1st contract Browning. You and son are very fortunate. Jerry
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Con grats :!: :!:

PICS Yeah :!: :!:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks again guys,
Hey Jerry, my son's messenger gun needs some restoration work,which I'm generally against,but not on this particular piece. As you well know,they're really rare. So it deserves to be restored. All it takes is money,which is in short supply at my son's house. But at least he has one. The guys we bought it from thought it was just an old Auto 5 that had been cut off. But we started researching those messenger guns and we're very sure this one is legit. The exact detail that convinced us has escaped me,(i'm old and can't remember anything) but I do know this is really a messenger gun. I'll try to convince him to take some pics of it. I've never owned an A-5 as early as this one. Now most authorities on A-5 s claim that there were nowhere near 10,000 units actually delivered to Browning on that first order. Some embargo was put in place and itut the kabosh on alot of that first order. Once again, the exact details escape me.Anyways, the FN1900 will feel right at home here,believe me.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Roger,

Just back from Illinois and I want to send out congratulations as well. You now join an elite group of FN owners. The quality of workmanship of these rifles is outstanding in my opinion. Your rifle looked to be in pretty good condition and should clean up very well. Go easy and you will be pleased with the outcome. I am glad that we had the opportunity to discuss this rifle before you hit the Buy Now. You won't regret your decision and if you do give me a shout and I will be glad to add it to the "Dirty Dozen". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

jack1653
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Hello Roger,
A5s of any make have been a passion for me since using my Fathers 1928 Rem Model 11 at age 12, any chance you can post pictures of Sons Messinger Model. Do you have access to book Browning Auto A-5 Shotguns by H M Shirley and Anthony Vanderlinden, The book says Browning received #1 September 17, 1903 and production ended with # 4121, December 31, 1903, not all of which were shipped to Browning and Browning did not import any more FN A5s until 1923. These early guns had Cockerill Steel barrel. Another feature was the straight trigger, some of both Browning and Remington guns did not have their companys name and patent dates on receiver and is said both sold guns in the white to others for finishing, an easy way to tell early Remington or Browning guns apart is the shape at rear of ejection port, Browning guns are square in corners and Remington are rounded and of course can check for metric threads. Again your son has a rare one and you have a beauty of a 1900.
Regards, Jerry
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey fellow members,
My latest bout with jackitis arrived safely today. I'm like a little boy on Christmas morning. I just can't believe that I truly own an FN 1900 rifle after a lifetime of collecting JMB designed guns. It's in about the same condition as I expected from the posted pictures on gunbroker. I just couldn't be any happier with it . It's now becoming acquainted with it's cousins,the Auto-5 s in my gunroom. Pics to follow when time permits it.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Roger

Post by Roger »

Fellow members,
My new FN 1900(new to me) went on it's first trip to the range this morning. From the looks of the dried oil/turned to varnish,that was on the inside of everything,it hadn't been fired in a long time. I cleaned it up as best as I dared and oiled it up well. It seemed to dry function well. So i fired two different loadings that I had made up awhile ago. Both functioned perfectly. One was with hornady 200 gr. PSP w/37.1 gr. of IMR 3031@ the other was remington 200 gr. Sp-rn w/ the same amount of 3031. These aren't too hot loadings ,so I felt OK about them in this FN1900. My plan is to load some hornady ftx bullets with some lower powered formulas. Just for the sheer fun of it. It was a really fun experience to be able to shoot this rifle. Almost a surreal experience,to tell you guys the truth. Acurracy was on a level I've come to expect from my rem.8/81s with my reloads. I know with some experimenting, I can improve the accuracy a little bit. This will all be for my own enjoyment only. I don't intend to ever deer hunt with this rifle because it's just too rare and valuable to me to do any damage to it carrying it afield. But there's alot of satisfaction in reloading formulas to just get the most accurate load for any particular rifle or handgun. I'll see about some photos of my targets cause some members here claim that without pics it just didn't happen!!(lol) i'm sure that the pics posted on gunbroker of the rifle, are better than any I might take of it. So if you want to see my newest rifle you may have to just look at the original link posted here.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com